How to Store Unmounted Stamps

Reported By: Gina Krupsky

When I walk in to any stamp store, I always enjoy picking up the wood mounted stamps. There is something so rich feeling about a smooth, hard-wood maple block graced by a deeply etched rubber image. I like them so much that I barely have room left in my stamp room to actually stamp anything.

So, I’ve taken the plunge into the unmounted realm. Unmounted stamps not only save you money, they save you tons of space.

But how do you even know what you have?

This question has been the reason many stampers won’t cross the line. They are afraid that if they can’t see what they have, they won’t use it.

Well, you know what? They are right! I had 80 CD cases full of unmounted rubber stamps that never got used. I also had plastic bags of unmounted stamps, little baskets full of unmounted stamps and little tins of unmounted stamps. Nothing went together and everything was placed neatly in a cabinet where I couldn’t see it.

Instead, I reached for my nice, visible wood-mounted stamp sets that were proudly displayed out in the open.

Does this sound like you?

If it does, I have the answer!

It’s time to release those unmounted babies from stamp purgatory!

Next time you are at the office supply or your favorite discount store, pick up a few of these.

These are clear acrylic picture frames 8 ½ X 11 in size. They come vertical or horizontal like mine above.

Take a piece of colored card stock and stamp all the images that work together all over the piece of cardstock. You could have a Christmas sheet, a flower sheet, a birthday sheet, etc… and make them each a different color so they can be spotted easily.

Next, slip that piece of card stock into the picture frame.

Then, place each stamp over its respective stamped image.

Unmounted greeting stamps have always been a problem for me but look!

And see how nice these sit right on your desk, out in the open where you’ll use them!

This method works great for all unmounted stamps with cling cushion, tack it over and over, or clear polymer and vinyl stamps.

So come on unmounted stamps, it’s time to come out of the closet!
Get those stamps out where you can see them with this convenient new storage method available everywhere picture frames are sold!

22 Responses to How to Store Unmounted Stamps

1. Jackie July 19, 2007 at 8:28 am #

WOW – what an excellent idea! I might even put the stamps on the back of the frame so I could just see the stamped images on the front. I have mine in CD cases right now but they are the clear ones that come with indexes, and I still have to flip through them – this is a better idea!! Thanks!

2. Lindy Stamper July 19, 2007 at 8:29 am #

That’s a great idea, esp when it’s a bigger panel. Was curious what you thought of the static cling?

3. Angie July 19, 2007 at 9:26 am #

This is absolutely the most brilliant thing I have ever seen! You are a GENIUS!!! Thank you, Gina!

4. Lisa C. July 19, 2007 at 10:45 am #

this is such a cool idea! thanks!

5. Cindyr July 19, 2007 at 10:46 am #

Breat idea Gina!!!! I knew you would come up with a solution……lol I am still trying to find some “reasonably priced acrylic blocks to use with my scalloped stamps from you………any ideas????? Thanks!

6. Anonymous July 19, 2007 at 10:50 am #

I’m going to the office supply store TODAY! Thanks for the GREAT idea!
    Judy

7. charlene.herter July 19, 2007 at 10:57 am #

This is a brilliant idea Gina! Thanks for sharing this. I will definitely give it a try!

8. Tanis July 19, 2007 at 11:03 am #

off to staples i must go…
    thanks so much gina!

9. NormaJ July 19, 2007 at 11:05 am #

I had some spare cd cases and am using them in this same way too. It is a fabulous idea. I think I agree with Jackie though, I would place my index page up front to see the contents of the case.

10. Littlekel90 July 19, 2007 at 11:32 am #

Great job, Gina! I love this idea. I just recently purchased some unmounteds to save space, and have them stored in CD cases and small scrap book, but you are right, ya never see them there. Great idea. I can then store them on my shelves above my table, and I am all set! Woohoo, you rock, girl!!

11. Jackie July 19, 2007 at 11:43 am #

WOW, what a great idea, and to think I work for that Office supply company (11yr) and didn’t even think of this!

12. ker July 19, 2007 at 11:58 am #

that is a GREAT SYSTEM!!! Way to go Gina!

13. Anonymous July 19, 2007 at 12:23 pm #

I’m not so sure I would use this method. I would be worried about losing the stamps since they aren’t actually contained. Transporting would seem to be a problem if using this method. Also the clear stamps have a tendency to lose their stick (unless you keep them really clean) and I could see these slipping off or attaching themselves to the back of the frame that is stored in front.

14. Julie K July 19, 2007 at 12:28 pm #

I just unmounted all my wood mounted stamps and put them in cd cases. I also made a binder and have the indexes of all the stamp sets in my binder alphabetically. I just flip through my binder to find the stamp set I need and go to my CD storage (alphabetized, of course) and pull out the appropriate CD case. In case the stamps are not in sets, I made my own title and index, like Birthday, which holds all my cakes, presents, etc. that are not from a specific set. Clear as mud? Hope this helps someone who travels quite a bit with their stamp sets.

15. Laura July 19, 2007 at 2:13 pm #

I my goodness I love it!!! Thank you so much. I really need something like this. I am running to the store now and getting some.

16. Kay July 19, 2007 at 3:41 pm #

As has already been stated – GENIUS!
    I am just venturing in to the unmounted world so I can be organized (now there is a concept) from the get go – fantastic!!

17. Julie July 19, 2007 at 4:08 pm #

This is sort of cool because I think you can have the best of all worlds… if you make a page for your notebook, you could have an extra frame around and put it in the frame with the various stamps on it when you were working on a theme…

Then “retire” them to CD cases when the time comes…

I think I would keep them on front, but print the images on both sides so I could peek easily on the back to see…it might not be the best plan… but it might work…

18. Heather Grow July 19, 2007 at 5:06 pm #

You are a genius. Thanks for the tip.

19. Etha July 20, 2007 at 12:01 pm #

That’s a great idea! But then you also need a lot of space to stand them up, no? I have mine in folders with the images stamped on the opposite side, then sorted by manufacturer and inside the manufacturer binders by type like flowers, people etc. boy I’d need a LOT of those holders 😉
    Another question is, if they are all standing around like that, would the rubber be affected by lets say sunlight and dust?

20. Gwen Z. July 20, 2007 at 8:31 pm #

I just posted on my blog how to get the image on the back of unmounted stamps. I then store them in cd’s and the image is on the other side. what you did was a really cool thing also! TFS! If you want to see how to get the image on the back my blog is http://stampwithgwen.blogspot.com/

thanks