Why YOU need the Scotch ATG Gun!

Reported By: Lauren Meader

I’m not affiliated with 3M, nor am I getting compensated for this “plug” if you will.
I’m just a happy paper crafter who loves a great quality product that is affordable, saves me money, and best of all, makes my projects easier to complete.

You may be asking what the heck you are looking at! Well, if you are familar with mono-adhesive dispensers, then you are looking at the MACK Daddy of all dispensers! It’s the Scotch ATG 714 Adhesive Gun! It retails for as low as $36.62.

And…each roll of adhesive( I get the GOLD due to its photo safe acid free) is 36 yards for as low as $2.89! So, you are getting double the adhesive of regular dispensers for a fraction of the cost-plus it holds better!! They have a wide variety of tapes to choose from also.

I bought a 12 pack over a year ago and I still have 2 rolls, PLUS a fresh one in my gun!! I stamp just about daily, and really use my adhesive! That is phenomenal!!! I also love that I get great tape coverage-no flimsy trail of adhesive, like the mono adhesive.

The thing with this tape dispenser is that it was originally used for framing, so the adhesive is really sticky!!! Unlike with mono-adhesive your project won’t pull apart or fall apart. We all know how frustrating that can be.

I had heard the buzz over these ATG Guns about 2 years ago on SCS. I (like always) broke down and bought one. I tell you that place has cost me more money………………………..

Now, let me also tell you, it was to date, one of the BEST thing’s I have ever bought. I like this particular style because it is the 1/4 inch tape dispenser. There are many other options, and my opinion is to get what is right for you. I liked the size of the row of adhesive I would get from my mono-adhesive, so that was why I made that particular choice.

I also need to STRESS, that the gun is pretty large in size. People discussed that fact when they first got theirs, so I thought I prepared myself. BUT, when I unwrapped it I was still pretty shocked.

Now that I have been using it for 2 years I am SO use to the size and feel of the gun. I love it, and prefer it! I never use my mono adhesive anymore. Plus it doesn’t get lost

If you are interested, you can watch a video that shows the various options, how to load it, and how to use it on THIS site. (click on the picture of the yellow 700 gun) Go check it out.

I hope you found this to be helpful and informative. I’d love to hear your questions, opinions or comments.

, , ,

25 Responses to Why YOU need the Scotch ATG Gun!

1. Laura December 15, 2007 at 12:09 pm #

it really does SOUND great. . .but i still can’t get over the size – and i haven’t even seen one in person. I hear rave reviews from everyone who has one. . .but i am still not convinced yet 😉 (but if i COULD be convinced, your review would have done it!!!) Thanks for the great info!

2. simplyinspired December 15, 2007 at 12:33 pm #

Ohh – could you post the link to where you can buy it? It doesn’t seem to be working!
    I think you’ve convinced me now with the fact that it sticks better!

3. Wife2TJ December 15, 2007 at 4:49 pm #

Hmmm..the girls over at SCS talked me into mine as well. lol! I just love mine I agree the tape holds much better. When using my mono adhesive everything would come apart, this stuff really sticks well!

4. Lisa V December 15, 2007 at 7:21 pm #

I have to say, I was intimidated by the size as well. Once I got mine and used it for a couple weeks, I LOVE IT!!! And I have arthritis in my hands–it doesn’t hurt the hands and it’s so easy to use.

5. Etha December 15, 2007 at 7:27 pm #

I really second everything you said about the ATG, its fabulous. And yes its huge, at first I had to laugh and felt like saying, you want me to do WHAT? but now I would never go smaller, I absolutely LOVE this thing.

6. Bluemoon December 16, 2007 at 5:20 pm #

I love reading your critiques! Thanx! I am wondering if this gun would be too heavy if you have: arm/hand/arthris or muscle/strength issues in arm, hand or back?

What is your professional opinion?? I am so sick of lousy glue tapes not working, thank you in advance. Happy Holidays! 🙂

7. Anonymous December 17, 2007 at 8:17 am #

I have this gun. Could someone tell me how you keep the tape from running off the side of the roller. It is so close to the edge and when I apply the glue the paper starts coming off. I’m sure it’s loaded right…I followed the instructions.

8. 2 Worlds December 17, 2007 at 10:22 am #

This was the best thing Ie ver bought I have the yellow one, I was tired to buy all the time 3$ adhesive and spent a lot of many
    I think its so worth the price

9. Lauren (mytime) December 17, 2007 at 12:26 pm #

To answer Bluemmon
    No the gun is not heavy and very easy to use! People have commented that have arthritis that is such a saver.

To answer anonymous
    Are you keeping the gun at the correct angle as you roll out the adhesive. Also make sure its placed in the center as you put on the roll.
    I have never had a problem, maybe reload again??

10. Aimee December 17, 2007 at 9:36 pm #

Thank You for your critique on this product. I have been on the fence as to whether to buy it or not for quite some time. Can you please repost the link to purchase at that great price? Or email it to me at: gemineye3@ameritech.net
    Thank You so much!
    Aimee

11. Lauren (mytime) December 20, 2007 at 8:34 am #

That is where you can get it CHEAPEST!

12. walshes5 January 5, 2008 at 6:11 pm #

Hi…I can NOT get mine to load. I bought the 714 model w/the 1/4″ tape refill (acid-free, of course). Tried following the video a zillion times and can’t get it to feed! Any help, anyone???

13. Cindy March 6, 2008 at 10:39 am #

though this is an old post on your blog, I have to comment on a couple of things.. SCS has cost me a fortune, too,.. I run right out and order everything.

Secondly, I hadn’t read anything on the size of this ATG and when I opened it, after I picked my bottom lip off the floor, I laughed out loud for several minutes! It is huge. I hope I get used to it quickly… haven’t had a chance to use it much yet!

Thanks for your blog… its been so helpful and right up there with expensive, like SCS.

14. Sharon in NE March 6, 2008 at 2:28 pm #

I seconded Lauren’s comment. http://www.framingsupplies.com – best price!

I just got mine. Got it loaded and figured out in no time. (What took me so long?)

15. Allison March 7, 2008 at 11:51 am #

Thank you SO MUCH for this video! I just got my gun and really struggled with the loading instructions. Regarding the size, yes it is big, but it’s very lightweight and I found it easy to use right off the bat. I highly recommend it!

16. Dawn September 9, 2008 at 4:37 pm #

sure couldn’t live without mine!!=)

17. Megan September 22, 2008 at 11:25 pm #

I am really thinking about getting one of these…I do so much paper crafting that I am constantly changing out my mono refils…and they get so expensive. 🙂 What I was wondering is, you mentioned you could get them as low as $36 something…where did you find one at such a great price?

18. Anonymous February 4, 2009 at 3:51 pm #

I too would like to know where you found them so cheap and also the refills for $2.75 you mentioned on the video. I am an advid card maker and do believe I need one of these SOON! Thanks for the video.

Tamie

19. Anonymous November 30, 2009 at 10:36 am #

I am used to deal with ” Huge” hahaha!
    Seriousely,the gun sounds fabulous! I have to get it. I am also a little sick of running to Michael’s craft store to get a new tape diespencer for my tape runner xl,that costs 4.99 everytime plus tax ofcourse. BUT i always use a 40% coupon when i buy it so i spend only $3.17,but still…. Don’t get me wrong. This is the only dispencer i use and i love it! BUT,the tape runs out too fast. But i will keep it for small projects instead and the gun for when i massproduce cards.

20. Sandy Knecht December 4, 2009 at 7:13 pm #

I’ve had the ATC for at least 2 years and I absolutely love it! It takes time and patience to learn to load it, after that, LOVE!

21. Trina Leeson January 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm #

I too saw the postings on SCS and asked a Picture Framer friend of mine, just out of curiosity, he said “Here try it, if you like it you can have it, I just bought a new one” and OMG! I LOVE IT, it has saved me SOOOOO much money. If anyone is considering one, I say go for it, you won’t regret the decision and after all, money saved on adhesive is money that can be spent on other craft “essentials” LOL

22. Debbie January 8, 2010 at 6:21 pm #

I too had the same problem with the glue falling off the edge, but I reloaded and its great. I love the gun and my frieds at my monthly card club call it the BAG – bad a** gun! I got it and refills at a picture framing store!

23. Kristen January 11, 2010 at 8:51 am #

I spray painted my ATG gun with brown plastic spray paint, embellished with rubons and paper die cuts from my cricut, then sealed it on with a glossy sealer. It is so cute. It never get lost on my table.

24. Dorothy March 12, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

I ahve had mine for about 4 years and have never been happier!!! It is a great investment!!

25. Lynn February 17, 2011 at 10:20 am #

I just got my gun and watched the video and I did get my tape loaded but didn’t remove anything off of the first wheel. Wondering if I did it wrong but tape dispenses. My gun is pink and my tape is 1/4″