Speedball Rubber Brayer

Reported By: Tami Bayer

When I first started stamping I bought a cheap 4″ brayer with a metal handle from a discount store. The metal handle was uncomfortable in my hand, and it always squeaked when I used it, so I didn’t use it much. Recently, my husband was placing an order with Dick Blick Art Supplies and asked if I needed anything. I took a peek on the website and spotted a Speedball 6″ Soft Rubber Brayer which looked like a much better tool than the cheap squeaky brayer I currently had. I paid the Blick discount price of $11.49 which is almost $5 less than the retail list price of $16.39. It also comes in a 4″ and 2″ size at a lower price.

As soon as I opened the box and held this brayer in my hand, I knew I was in for a whole new background making experience. This brayer has a nice sturdy plastic handle that fits in my hand perfectly. I inked it up and found that the width of the brayer is so fantastic for making backgrounds. All I have to do is run it over the inkpad twice, once on each end to ink up a 6″ wide background in one pass. The best part is, no squeak. It feels like magic that I can pick up a piece of white cardstock and use a brayer and a bit of ink to create something colorful and unique.

Now, if you are not familiar with using a brayer with your ink pads, just know that there are a ton of techniques you can create with a brayer. You can do everything from resist techniques to the more complex Jacob’s coat technique. You can even use it simply to color your backgrounds with ink to match your project. The other thing that I love to use my brayer for is those tricky large background or collage stamps. I ink up my stamp and then lay the stamp down face up. Carefully place the cardstock on top of the stamp and hold it with one hand. Then take your brayer and roll over the cardstock. Perfect image nearly every time.

This is an ATC I made using the crayon resist technique. It starts with glossy white paper and an image stamped with staz-on. The fun part is coloring with white crayons. Then the ink is brayered over the whole thing.

This is a gothic arch I made using the plastic wrap technique. It starts with glossy white paper brayered with ink, then sprayed with water and plastic wrap is scrunched up and put over the whole thing, then left to dry.

Like I said before, you can find this at Dick Blick (carries 7 different sizes), Mister Art, and Dharma Trading Company.

I’d love to hear any brayer tips you have to share with us. Do you use it for a special technique? Do you have a favorite brand or size brayer?

, , ,

10 Responses to Speedball Rubber Brayer

1. Scrapbookmama May 5, 2008 at 8:03 am #

First off your cards are STUNNING.. wow.. I love them 🙂 I don’t own a brayer.. I’m afraid I will make a mess! but your cards are so amazing I just might have to go and make a mess and try it out. Thank you so much for the info 🙂

-Ellie

2. Lida May 5, 2008 at 9:30 am #

I have also a Speedball Rubber Brayer size 2″ and I love it, I use it to apply ink to stamps, to ink resist and also to really glue the paper when I make mini albums. It looks so different when you burnish the paper with a brayer, one of the things I use every time I craft, higly recommend it and worth the price.

3. Nevis May 5, 2008 at 10:46 am #

Did even know such a thing existed! I would love a more indept photo series with directions!

4. Radiogirl May 5, 2008 at 2:51 pm #

I like the idea of using a brayer. I don’t have one, but I like the ideas that you mentioned. Thanks.

5. lakeslady May 5, 2008 at 7:31 pm #

I have had this brayer for years and absolutely love it.
    Once you get used to using it, you will have a ball. For new users, please always remember to start your “roll” off the paper ( use scrap paper underneath) and then finish off the paper too. Learn to build up your speed and only roll one way NEVER forwards and backwards.
    A little tip for you!!
    Keep turning your scrap paper around until eventually it is covered with ink. This in itself makes for a great background.
    Thanks for sharing, it has reminded me to get the brayer out and play some more.

6. jan May 6, 2008 at 12:40 am #

Beautiful cards Tami! Indeed it looks like you are working in happy harmony with your new brayer.

I too had trouble with my first brayer–no matter what I tried my brayer would not cover my Jacob’s coat background. Finally I tried the soft brayer and it made a huge difference. Soft brayers pick-up lots more ink and ink much closer to stamped images than the hard brayers.

7. Anonymous May 6, 2008 at 1:09 am #

Great Tip Tami… I will be purchasing one of these…beautiful cards. Terry/scrappinnuts

8. Ethel Amutan May 6, 2008 at 6:26 am #

Thanks for the tip! We have a local Dick Blick store. I’ll have to stop in over there this weekend and check out the brayers! TFS!

9. Beth Norman May 6, 2008 at 4:30 pm #

Beautiful, beautiful work. Thanks for your wonderful review.

10. mnhyrkas May 7, 2008 at 12:21 pm #

see amazing cards with brayer, sponges and a few rubber stamps. Lot’s of step by step examples!
    at zindorf’s blog: