Daisy D’s Rub-On Tape

Reported by Tami Bayer

I really wanted to love this new product. It’s a rub-on tape runner by Daisy D’s that retails for $4.99-6.99. The packaging is wonderful, the idea is fantastic, and it just seems like such an easy way to use rub-ons. It comes in 2-packs of one larger and one smaller tape runner. They both have the same amount of tape on them, 13 feet per cartridge. The larger tape runner has a little lid that closes on the end and a grooved place on top so you know which way is up. The smaller tape runner has no lid and no grooves. I found it easier to use the larger tape runner.

Before I tested these, I read the package instructions and found some tips online from Daisy D’s. I even used my craft grid and ruler to try to get them straight after the first crooked attempt. I applied even pressure, tried an assortment of items to apply them to, and here are my results.

The papers shown from left to right are: smooth white cardstock, vellum, glossy white cardstock, textured cardstock, and transparency. I tried a few other surfaces as well including: flower, acrylic piece, acrylic buckle, naked chipboard, and grosgrain ribbon. I really wanted to try some of the things I thought you might use in your art projects. I got the best results from the textured cardstock. I was not thrilled with any of the other surfaces. The tape skipped and came out uneven. The instructions do advise that a white eraser can be used to remove errors. I tried it on all of the surfaces. The eraser works best on smooth cardstock, vellum, textured cardstock and naked chipboard. It either did not erase completely on the other surfaces or left a residue.

In case you haven’t guess by now, I did not love this product. I wanted to love it, but that just didn’t happen for me. It would be ok if you are going for a distressed look, since it comes out that way most of the time.

Pros:
~Mistakes can be erased
~Larger tape runner gives better results
~Works on textured cardstock

Cons:
~The design skips alot
~Smaller tape runner is practically useless
~Gives uneven results slick or smooth surfaces
~Leaves residue when erased from slick surfaces

If you’d like to purchase this Daisy D’s rub-on runner to try it for yourself, it’s available at Scrapbook.com, JoAnn’s, and TwoPeas in A Bucket. It retails for $4.99-$6.99.

I would really love to hear other opinions on this one. Do you love it, is there something I missed?

, , ,

14 Responses to Daisy D’s Rub-On Tape

1. Julia Stainton June 19, 2008 at 7:07 am #

I too REALLY wanted to love this product. I bought a few as it looked fabulous. Unfortunately…the inconsistent results have mine languishing in the back of a drawer. šŸ™

2. Stacy June 19, 2008 at 9:26 am #

This comment has been removed by the author.

3. Stacy June 19, 2008 at 9:28 am #

I was so excited when I saw this product and bought several. I tried and tried to get them to work thinking I was doing something wrong, but I think they just sucked. Mine looked a lot like your examples and now they are in the trash.

4. Zarah June 19, 2008 at 11:13 am #

I’m the same, exactly. I was thrilled with getting neat stitches and not having to draw, stamp or glue – and got… uneven weird results with SUCH weird stickiness it needed srying time not to just pop off as soon as anything touched it? PLUS it is all glossy? Nope – soooo not my thing. Sorry Daisy D’s, but these are rubbish.

5. Anonymous June 19, 2008 at 12:04 pm #

Oh, I’m so glad to see this post. I bought these a while ago and was so excited about them, but have been really disappointed. I’ve hung onto them thinking I was doing something wrong, but am relieved to see it’s not just me. I got the same results as you. I haven’t tried it on textured cardstock yet. Have a great day – Regina Davis

6. Lynn Mercurio June 19, 2008 at 12:55 pm #

Thank you for this honest opinion of this product…I’ve seen them and thought about it, but just never did purchase any, and boy am I glad I didn’t. Thanks so much for your review!

7. Julie Campbell June 19, 2008 at 12:57 pm #

I have to agree! I bought several of these… thinking it was a WONDERFUL idea — and ended up hating them after I tried them out. They never leave a clean, even application. The only thing good I can say about them is that it’s easy to “erase” your marks with a white eraser. And believe me – you’ll want to have that eraser close at hand!

8. Amy June 19, 2008 at 2:33 pm #

ditto to what all have said. I thought it would be great but it just wasn’t. I thought it was me and am relieved it isn’t. Bummer for use though because it could have been such fun.

9. Sarah Moore June 19, 2008 at 2:37 pm #

I totally agree… and I LOVE daisy D’s other products… this is the only one that’s left me feeling disappointed… I also dislike the clear “haze” that surrounds the stitched image….

I will say I still use mine when I am looking for a distressed look… then it’s perfect!

10. Nevis June 19, 2008 at 3:30 pm #

I actually really like the way it looks but I personally LIKE a distressed/funky feel to my pages, so maybe that’s why?

But I don’t like the idea of having to let it dry or it being “shiney”. Hmm…It’ll probally be a pass for me.

11. Anonymous June 19, 2008 at 8:43 pm #

In total agreement with your review. I thought they looked like they would be so cool looking and bought 2 different packages (patterns) to start with…..mine came out like yours- skipped and missed patterns. Glad to know it wasnt me – I thought I wasnt doing something right or got a bad batch……so I’m thinking this will not be something I would try again or recommend. And I totally love all other Daisy D’s products~~Mary Lib in Florida

12. Elaine June 19, 2008 at 11:19 pm #

I bought them online and have not used them. They sound and look so cool and amazing…but now I don’t even want to try them! šŸ™ Bummer!

13. Francine June 20, 2008 at 3:32 am #

I got a package in a kit and I actually like them. But I did hear before I used them not to expect it to be perfect so maybe that helped. I don’t mind the distressed look they have, and I tend to only use them in small amounts.

14. Cori ... Hi Everyone!!! June 20, 2008 at 1:04 pm #

I wanted to love these also, but after many failed attempts, I think I have lost hope. šŸ™

Don’t buy them!!!