Twinkling H2Os by Luminarte

Reported by Tami Bayer

These fun little shimmery pots of watercolors are made by Luminarte. They come in two sizes, are non-toxic, acid free, and are available in 168 colors. The large pots retail for $3.70 each. These paints can also be purchased in sets of small 5 gram or large 10 gram pots with price varying depending on the size of the set. The pots now come with a see through lid, which is wonderful. I stored my old ones upside down so I could see the color. The new ones are so much better.

These paints can be used on many different surfaces and are safe for children. The website lists all of these surfaces as appropriate; paper, canvas, rocks, wood and even Easter eggs. I must admit that I’ve not tried real Easter eggs, but I love the idea of that. I’ve had good success with this product on paper and canvas.

My favorite way to use these paints is to spritz a bit of water into the pots, wait a couple of minutes for the paint to get soft. Then I use an aqua brush and color in stamped images. I prefer using embossed images so the paint stays in the lines. The paints can also be used direct to rubber giving a beautiful stamped image. I’ve also made beautiful backgrounds with them.

What I don’t love about this product is that it takes some effort to use them. The pots all have to be opened individually and then spritzed and wait a bit. I find I don’t use them often because of the extra time factor. I’m into quick stamping. But, when I take the time I am always pleased with the results.

Pros:

• 168 colors available
    • beautiful shimmery effect
    • non-toxic, acid free

Cons:

• spendy at $3.70 per color
    • takes some time to prepare cakes for painting
    • doesn’t work on non-porous surfaces

These paints retail for $3.70-$36 depending on the size of the set you purchase or if you purchase individually. If you’d like to add these paints to your collection, check first with your local scrapbook or stamping store. I’ve seen them in most every small shop I’ve visited. If you can’t find what you like there, then you can purchase online at Luminarte, Addicted to Rubber Stamps, or Frantic Stamper. I would rate this product 8 out of 10.

I would love to hear if you tried this product and any tips you have to share with us.

, ,

13 Responses to Twinkling H2Os by Luminarte

1. Jingle August 18, 2008 at 8:48 am #

I have a few of these and I actually love them! Can I offer a tip? Use a water brush with them instead of a traditional paint brush! This eliminates the prep time and the spritzing and all of that, plus, you can get varied intensity by making parts of the cake a little more wet than others with the tip of your brush. I just love the shimmer that these add to my stamped images!

2. Etha August 18, 2008 at 10:08 am #

Yup, as jingle said, use a water brush with these. I don’t pre-wet them, just go in and paint. These are wonderful painted OVER watercolor pencil, great effects. And I think you CAN paint with them on glass, its just different in drying and behavior. Its basically a water color with mica added (or whatever makes the shimmer) so anything you can do with watercolor you can do with these.

3. Michelle Adams August 18, 2008 at 10:21 am #

I LOVE these! They are so easy to use, just like any other watercolors like Etha said. Expensive yes, but they last forever.

4. Sequana August 18, 2008 at 11:14 am #

I have NEVER been able to get my paints to soften, no matter what technique I try. I don’t know if I got a bad batch or what, but I would never buy anymore of them.

5. Daria August 18, 2008 at 3:06 pm #

I love these too. I actually prefer a paint brush to the water brush; I feel I have a lot more control. One color can yield several shades depending upon the amount of water. While the initial cost is high, even the small jars last a very long time so the price isn’t so bad over time.

6. Shirley August 18, 2008 at 9:25 pm #

Tami, I have all of the twink colors and use them all of the time. As a matter of fact I use them on almost every card I do. I don’t spray the pots though for 2 reasons. They get too thick all over the top and its hard to watercolor with them that way. I just put a couple of drops in one area of the pot and then go from there. You can actuall see if you come visit me. 🙂 I love twinks. Another thing you can do with them is use Brilliance Galaxy Gold first on your stamp. Make sure your pad isn’t dry. Then heat emboss. It will actually rise a little. Once that is done you can paint even over the gold if you need to do it. It comes through then with a little shimmer. There are some close ups on my blog. The secret to twinks I think is to use them as a watercolor and not a paint, although that works too. Its a matter of comfort. My blog is http://cardartetc.blogspot.com/ and my SCS gallery is http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=742 I am a little behind on posting in the gallery, but I have been using twinks forever and before that Radiant Pearls.

Hope this helps.

7. Lana August 18, 2008 at 11:04 pm #

I love these!!I use them for “cheeks” on my black & whtie photos – they stick to photos well, but you’re right, not on porous surfaces. The vivid colors are awesome though!!

8. bluemoon August 19, 2008 at 11:45 am #

I have some problems using these paints. Have you ever tried to use these to colour in a larger area than the card shown. Anything larger than small areas leave uneven colour, streaking, thicker areas.

I have a very large stamp, the back is big rectanglular blocks 4 or 5 up and down, with florals in the foreground. It was a nightmare to do.

As an RP lover, I also used a similar product that comes in larger pots in metallics only (?) and they were excellent to use (sorry forgot name).

I’ve spritzed, I’ve tried not spritzing, and etc. but unless painting a small area, I am disappointed in these and never use mine now. bluemoonbyniteatyahoodotcom

9. Stampin Stacy August 19, 2008 at 7:40 pm #

Take the lids off and leave them off it won’t hurt them, they are basically a watercolor cake that dries. I also do not spritz the whole pot, only a small part.

They may seem to be expensive but like many quality artist products a little goes a long way. They last a very long time and to because they are a water color medium can be mixed to create other colors, saving you even more money.

Stampin Stacy

10. Becky Y. August 20, 2008 at 5:35 am #

I’ve purchased a few sets of these in the small pots. A little does go a long, long way. I’ve tried spritzing the pot and just using an Aquabrush – I prefer spritzing. If I want to adjust the intensity of the color, I keep a small plastic palette with the some water nearby to do a little mixing/diluting.

11. deborahphipps August 25, 2008 at 7:08 am #

I think this is a great product. It provides intense color, if desired, it’s easy to use, and it’s got some glimmer to it. I recently bought a set and think they’re great. I use a regular paint brush, but I’ll try it with the aquapen soon. I actually have 7 colors, but I need a green…their color combos seem to exclude some colors and the one I choose, it was green. I can’t buy them locally, so I’ll wait until I’m at a different store.

Thanks for the review!

12. Anonymous August 29, 2008 at 12:14 pm #

I love these! I store mine grouped in color families, without tops in plastic boxes (actually the ones that Stampin Up uses for their stamps). I can easily see which colors I want to use, don’t have to deal with individual tops, it’s convenient to carry them around this way.

13. Sandra June 23, 2009 at 7:21 pm #

I use a lot of products – depending on what I am doing … Twinkling h2o’s, glimmer mist, stardust pens and twinklets – thanks for the review!
      Sandra