Flower Soft

Reported By: Julie Campbell
One of my favorite ‘finds’ at the Summer CHA show was this really interesting product called Flower Soft by Katy Sue Designs. Flower Soft is new to North America, but apparently has been around in Europe for a while now.

So, what is Flower Soft? Flower Soft is a type of embellishment that looks like tiny sprinkles. It is spongy to the touch, but maintains it’s shape even after being pressed. You can use Flower Soft as an accent for card making or scrapbooking, as it is acid free. The site even suggests using this product to make miniature plants for a doll house.

Flower Soft comes in a variety of mixed and solid colors. Each jar is 30 mL and goes a long way! To apply, simply apply glue to where you want to add the product and shake a small amount of Flower Soft over the area. Flower Soft carries a brand of PVA glue that I really like. It has a fine tip, so the glue goes just where you want it to go. It dries quickly and becomes clear after a few minutes.

Below is a picture of what my project looked like during application. Apply it as you would glitter and just tap off the excess and return it to the jar.

One of the things I love about Flower Soft is that you don’t have to use it only for flowers. As you can see, I applied Nut Brown to my moose to create fur.

Stamps by Cornish Heritage Farms (Ed the Moose, Tag! You’re it!, & Little Gal sets)
Printed paper by: October Afternoon, Basic Grey

Here is another example using the Sweet Pea Flower Soft mix:

Stamps by Cornish Heritage Farms (Silhouette Blooms, Friend Centers)
Printed paper by Basic Grey

One of the things that first drew me to Flower Soft was the possibility of using it with my highly detailed stamp images to give my projects extra color and texture. I used a combination of Christmas Green, Spring Mix, and Sweet Pea mix.

Stamps by Cornish Heritage Farms (Streams of Living Water – Thomas Kinkade line, Script Essential Expressions)
Printed paper by Cornish Heritage Farms

Pros:

• This product is acid free and safe to use for scrapbooking
  • It comes in a variety of mixed and solid colors
  • Compact jars will last a long time
  • Flower Soft can be used for more than creating flowers.

Cons:

• Even though Flower Soft comes in a lot of colors, I love it so much that I would like to see even more varieties in the future
  • This product can be difficult to find in brick and mortar stores.

In conclusion, I think Flower Soft is a fun, unique new embellishment that can be used for a multitude of craft projects. It’s easy to use and inexpensive. Have you tried Flower Soft or have any additional questions about this product? I’d love to hear from you! Please leave me a comment on this post.

, ,

12 Responses to Flower Soft

1. Nevis October 2, 2008 at 8:55 am #

Wow, what beautiful works of art your cards are!!!

2. Bonnie October 2, 2008 at 10:21 am #

Oh my gosh Julie! These are such fascinating ways to use it……what you did with that Kincaid stamp is phenomenal!!

3. Sara October 3, 2008 at 7:00 pm #

Julie these cards are unbelievably gorgeous!!! You have sold me on Flower Soft for sure. Great review.

4. Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor October 3, 2008 at 8:38 pm #

Julie that is way too cool! I love the way you used this product! I think it could also have some applications combined with polymer clay. I will have to keep my eyes open for some.

5. NwP October 4, 2008 at 10:33 am #

Thank you for reviewing this product. I’d seen it online but couldn’t quite figure it out. But this has decided me, once I have some cash I am getting some! 🙂

6. Linda Beeson October 5, 2008 at 10:56 pm #

What an interesting find and the examples of using this product are just great and clever.

7. Scrappy Rat October 6, 2008 at 2:53 am #

Wow! I’m totally sold on this stuff. I love the variety of project styles you managed to use this product on. Very versatile. I haven’t found it yet at Archivers or at my regular online haunts yet, but I’ll keep my eyes open now that I know how cool this stuff is. What is it made of? Or did I miss the answer in your post (sorry, sick and on Nyquil so I’m a bit stupid tonight)?

8. Jennifer Love October 6, 2008 at 4:31 pm #

It IS way wicked cool! I just used it today on a card. PHENOMENAL!!

9. Kate October 16, 2008 at 7:59 pm #

I have had my Flower Soft set for a couple of months now and I LOVE it! It adds instant dimension to stamped or printed images, and makes absolutely beautiful floral bouquets. I love to use it to write simple words on cards (thanks, love, baby, or names). I find their starter kit is a great set to start with, and then you can add colors as you get more familiar with it.
    I talked to the company this month, and they are developing the product in colors for autumn! I absolutely recommend this product, especially if you do a lot of cards.

10. Jennie November 12, 2008 at 4:38 pm #

I’m in the Uk where Flowersoft originates. It’s been around for a while now and developed a strong loyal following though not seen a very ‘modern’. It does work well with a variety of uses-it’s perfect as you’d imagine for using with the Flowersoft stamps or images, but many stamps work well with it. Great especially for florals and Christmas i think-each pot is inexpensive and will last forever though I find I need to transfer into a larger tub as it’s crammed into it’s pot so tightly you can’t get it back in again. You can mix your own colours of course-but I do find there isn’t a green to match the pastels and sweet pea so fingers crossed. It’s a pretty small operation so if it takes off in the US and so, maybe they’ll be able to expand the line even more.

11. jcamp2020 July 31, 2009 at 2:22 pm #

Okay, so what is it made of? We do have little kids around..

12. Alicia October 27, 2010 at 1:32 am #

What gorgeous art work you have created! I have never seen flower soft but have heard of it. I may have to put it on my wish list! *Hugs* and thanks for sharing!