Reported by Melissa Norris
Part of C&T Publishing’s line of products is the Create & Treasure line of alterable blank board products. And that is where I chose my review items from. I chose the 6 x 6″ black board book and the blank board box shadowbox.
The box took Mod Podge and paper well, but it may have not been my best decision. Because it is an assembled paper product, the corners weren’t always flush, which didn’t make a good area for paper piecing. And sanding didn’t really help my cause, but it was a poor decision on my part, there is nothing the company could change based on the type of product it is.
Overall, I’m happy with my little shadow box and found the product to be easy to use. It might be better to paint or stamp it due to the tricky seams, but it’s a great sturdy product and makes a sweet little shadow box.
- White paperboard is easy to alter
- Affordable prices as compared to wood alternatives
- Pre-assembled, nothing for you to do but decorate
- Sturdy and stands up well
- Pre-assembled, which makes it difficult to decorate at times
- Seams don’t always match up to even corners
I really like the size of the book, but due to having to sand before applying paper, you really have to coat every page, losing the point of the black book, you might as well just order white. Also, this book is not really made for embellishments. Because of the spine, there is no room to add thick embellishments like chipboard or buttons. However, I plan on remedying that by removing the spine and using my Crop-a-Dile to punch holes and add binder rings on the side of the book.
- Good 6 x 6 size
- Sturdy paperboard, not as thick as some chipboard albums
- A nice spine and black pages, would be great for a simple photo book
- White core, not a solid black book
- Black coating is smooth, making it hard to alter without sanding or other prep
- Spine inhibits the use of thick embellishments