Claudine Hellmuth Studio Sticky-back Canvas

Reported by Martha Bonneau

When I first saw Claudine Hellmuth’s Studio line at Summer CHA last year, I was immediately drawn to her Sticky-back Canvas. Claudine was doing demonstrations using the Sticky-back with her Studio line of acrylic paints, and was making the most wonderful little flowers for her make & take. While talking with her we discovered that there were many uses for the Sticky-back. It could be painted, sewed, stamped on, used with a resist, etc., and the best part is the fact that it is sticky-back…that’s right, when you are done embellishing it, you simply peel off the back and adhere it to your project!

As a scrapbooker I don’t do a lot of painting, but I do like to sew, and that is where I have had the most fun using the Sticky-back. Because it comes in 2 sizes, 12 x 12 and 8.5 x 11, it is easy to run it through your printer if you have an image you would like to use. I used an image from Kitschy Digitals Woodland Stuffies kit…I simply printed it onto the Sticky-back, cut out the image, peeled off the backing, and sewed it onto a canvas tote-bag. Because of the stickiness, there was no need to pin the image in place as it stayed put while sewing it on. The image printed crisp and clean, and was very vibrant.

I have also used it on a couple of scrapping projects. I scanned a vintage pattern and printed it out on the Sticky-back to create this mixed media piece.

I also created my own self-adhesive alphabets to use on my layouts. I like these instead of the little paper alphas you can buy on sheets because the canvas gives them more texture. They do not fray around the edges when cutting them out, and the adhesive is strong enough to keep them adhered to a project.

I did another project using the Sticky-back and Claudine’s Multi-Medium. After cutting out a vintage image I used the Multi-Medium to adhere it to the Sticky-back, cut it out with pinking shears, and adhered it to the cover of a mini-album. I use lots of layers and textures in my projects and the Sticky-back allowed me to bring a fabric texture into a sewing inspired project.

Pros:

• Self adhesive!
  • Able to use with many different media
  • Adaptable to papercrafters, painters, sewers
  • Claudine’s blog always has a wealth of wonderful ideas on how to use her products

Cons:

• Difficult to find locally, I have usually only found it on-line

Where to buy:

Have you used Claudine Hellmuth Studio Sticky-back Canvas? We’d love to see your projects… link us up in the comments, and we’ll check you out!

, , , ,

12 Responses to Claudine Hellmuth Studio Sticky-back Canvas

1. Erika M. June 29, 2009 at 7:52 am #

I’ve never used the Stickky-back Canvas. You are absolutely right about it being difficult to find – I’ve never seen it in any of the local stores around where I live. I would love to try it so I might order some online!

2. scrappypug June 29, 2009 at 9:24 am #

i have wondered about this… love your projects! I will have to add some to my next online order.

3. claudine hellmuth June 29, 2009 at 10:15 am #

thanks for the amazing write up about my products! I wish it was easier to find too. we just have to keep getting the word out to stores so they will add it to their inventory! thanks for helping to spread the word!

4. Tona June 29, 2009 at 11:01 am #

The sticky backed canvas is available at my Michaels.
    When sewing on the canvas it doesn’t get your needle sticky?

5. StampinCathy June 29, 2009 at 11:34 am #

I haven’t used this canvas yet!! Your projects are awesome and so inspiring. I’m going to have to try this out.

6. Jennifer June 29, 2009 at 12:54 pm #

this is awesome. i’d love to be able to print something from my inkjet and then be able to sew it on a project. i’ll have to find some online! thanks for the write up!

7. carol June 29, 2009 at 1:37 pm #

what about the price? Is it expensive? I think it would be a pro or a con depending of it.

8. Karleen June 29, 2009 at 3:59 pm #

Well now that I see what this does I’m ready to do something with this.

9. ange June 29, 2009 at 4:38 pm #

I hadn’t heard of this before. Wow, I LOVE the idea of using the sticky-back canvas for little alpha stickers! I use MM’s all the time…this way I could use some of my fun fonts! Thanks! :)

10. karen June 30, 2009 at 3:31 pm #

I just posted my craft website and would like some feedback. Please visit me at allthingscrafts.com and let me know what you think. I handpaint glass, wood and fabric. It is not finished but would love to hear from you.

11. ~wenhether~ June 30, 2009 at 6:19 pm #

I love the idea of printing your own alphas out!!! I must look for this product now!!

12. claudine hellmuth July 15, 2009 at 5:45 pm #

hi everyone! Sorry you are having a hard time finding the products. believe me I wish they were in every single store! If you want your local store to carry them, please ask and maybe they will pick up the line :)

you can sew the sticky back canvas w/o it getting sticky! I have a T shirt project on my blog here