A Call To Serve: The Butterfly Project

We are on vacation here at Craft Critique, celebrating our American Independence. Rather than being stagnant this week, we thought we’d give something back, and reach out to our readers, asking you to take time over this summer to do something special for someone else.

There are so many deserving causes out there… it was difficult for us to select one. Then on June 10th, our cause came to light, when a gunman walked into the crowded U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington , D.C. and opened fire.

Crimes of hate are devastating. I believe that the Holocaust Memorials around the globe serve as sacred places where we are reminded of humanity’s darkest times so we can be sure actions of hate, ignorance and apathy are never again perpetrated against a group of people.

More than 1,500,000 innocent children were murdered during the Holocaust. In an effort to remember them, the Holocaust Museum of Houston is collecting 1.5 million handmade butterflies. The butterflies will eventually comprise a breath-taking exhibition, currently scheduled for Spring 2012, for all to remember.

Craft Critique would like to send a box of butterflies as one large gift to the museum. We encourage you to share this project with your friends, families, students and children… and to take some time out of your busy summer to make one or more butterflies for the museum.

Please Note:

• Butterflies should be no larger than 8 inches by 10 inches.
  • Butterflies may be of any medium the artist chooses, but two-dimensional submissions are preferred.
  • Glitter should not be used.
  • Food products (cereal, macaroni, candy, marshmallows or other perishables) also should not be used..
  • Place your butterfly in a Ziplock Bag with your name and address.

Mail your Butterflies no later than September 15th, 2009 to:

Craft Critique
Attn: Butterfly Project
649 N. Spring Street
Elgin, IL 60120

You can read more about the Butterfly Project and access teaching tools HERE.

And this week we will be bringing some simple and beautiful butterfly crafts to help inspire you.

Thank you for participating and have a wonderful Independence day!

The Butterfly

The last, the very last,
So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow.

Perhaps if the sun’s tears would sing
against a white stone….
Such, such a yellow
Is carried lightly ’way up high.

It went away I’m sure because it wished to kiss the world good-bye.
For seven weeks I’ve lived in here,

Penned up inside this ghetto.

But I have found what I love here.

The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.

Only I never saw another butterfly.

That butterfly was the last one.

Butterflies don’t live in here, in the ghetto.

Pavel Friedman, June 4, 1942
Born in Prague on January 7, 1921.
Deported to the Terezin Concentration Camp on April 26, 1942.
Died in Aushchwitz on September 29, 1944.

14 Responses to A Call To Serve: The Butterfly Project

1. Axes DesigNs July 2, 2009 at 11:10 am #

OMG! this is just for me I love butterflies y you go to my blog you can see it! definitely sign me in on this!!!! Thanks!!!

2. Anonymous July 2, 2009 at 11:21 am #

What a great idea… Will do my best!
    Diane Cooper
    diane7@rogers.com

3. the whimsical butterfly July 2, 2009 at 2:52 pm #

This is amazing, and I would LOVE to help!!!

I will contact you, Sarah!

4. Judy Wheeler July 2, 2009 at 8:53 pm #

This is a beautiful idea. I was wondering what I could do to give back, and as usual, God has provided.

5. Eva July 3, 2009 at 11:25 am #

I am so touched by this, I will make some butterflies. I had a chance to visit Auschwitz when I was younger, and I can not even imagine the horror these children and adults must have gone through….What a lovely cause to pick!! It’s a great honor to be part of it! Eva

6. Crazy Creations July 5, 2009 at 12:12 pm #

Thats a great idea ,I will make some too ,Ill have my friends help me,Ill post it on my group .Sarah

7. Judy Wheeler July 5, 2009 at 9:40 pm #

Sara, one question….should the butterflies be cut out individually and just left that way, or should they be glues onto an 8×10 cardstock? I just wasn’t clear about this.

8. Sarah Moore July 6, 2009 at 12:06 am #

Judy, I really think they are looking for individual butterflies to display.

Thanks!

9. Angie July 15, 2009 at 5:56 am #

I definitely will be participating in this. I already have some butterflies that I die-cut waiting in the “wings” (lol-had to!) to be beautified! I will finish them up and send them on their way!

10. Tracey July 15, 2009 at 11:22 am #

What a fabulous project! I will get my little one on this. I am sure she will love to make one (or a dozen)!

11. Bouncy, Flouncy, Fun,Fun, Fun July 15, 2009 at 6:13 pm #

This is fantastic! I love butterflies and definitely want to be part of this! Thanks!

Hugs, Becky

12. Keely Yowler July 27, 2009 at 6:33 pm #

This is a fabulous idea!

13. Dell August 11, 2009 at 11:26 am #

What a wonderful idea. I was in that museum in June 2008 and left very touched and emotional by the stories and artifacts. I am going to have to participate in this project.

14. Kaos August 12, 2009 at 11:01 pm #

It’s been Twittered, Plurked, Facebooked, MySpaced and Blogged! Hope to get some numbers up for the project! Butterflies are very close to my heart and I’m honored to be able to take part in this. Thanks for sharing it with us!

~ Melissa Smith