Squigglefly Digital Stamps

Reported by Heather Strenzwilk

One of the hot trends in stamping today is digital stamping. I was very reluctant to put away my rubber stamps until I was comped several Squigglefly images for a project over the summer. I was immediately drawn to the style of the images. Thicker lines make them easier to color, they can be re-sized, and they come in both left- and right-facing versions. Because they are electronic, storage is not an issue and they can be printed an unlimited amount of times.

‘Pretty Witch’ is perfect for creating a treat for your favorite ghost or goblin

Squigglefly is a family business owned by sisters Ashley Summers and Chesney Young. Their mother, Holly Young, describes herself as a “
Squigglefly Supporter Extraordinaire” and is well known to the stamping world. Among their talented pool of artists is their aunt Lynne Stansbery (of Shy Bears fame).

I recently spoke with Ashley and Holly about the success of Squigglefly and digital stamping. The company was named Squigglefly to generate some buzz about digital stamping. They credit the wide variety of their images to their artists, who are encouraged to draw what they like, and it shows in their wide variety of images. New images are released on the 3rd Saturday of the month in a mini release party.

‘Mudzie Plays Christmas Tree’ is part of the ever growing Mudzie collection

Squigglefly recently secured the rights to sell digital versions of Shy Bears and Mudzie the Moose. In the past these images were only available as rubber stamps. Consider the possibilities of using these beloved characters in new ways by using your own sentiments or adding rub-ons to give the images your unique style.

‘Flower Umbrella’ is part of Squigglefly’s latest release

The Squigglefly team has visited local stamp stores (Little Rock, AR area) because many crafters don’t know what to do with digital images. Their seminar focuses on basics such as how to download, arrange, re-size and add text to digis. For those living in other areas, the tutorial section of the website offers some video tutorials.

I added the words to Mudzie using PowerPoint software

Squigglefly initially offered a modest 15 images; today they boast over 500!
Their most popular images to date include: Divine Bovine series, Turtle with Flower, Oswalda the Ostrich and First Haircut. With 99 cent bargains and a free digi image with every $15 spent in the shop, there is something for every budget. Want to try before you buy? Free images and background papers are available on the website. Once you purchase an image, you can download it again for free.

Pros:

• Wide variety and style of images
  • Thicker lines make the images easier to color
  • No need to flip images- they come in left and right facing versions
  • Mudzie the Moose (I am Heather the MooseLover after all!)

Cons (because I have to):

• Website gallery displays artwork oldest to newest rather than newest to oldest
‘Thanksgiving Thanks’ is perfect for a special Thanksgiving card

Squigglefly has generously offered Craft Critique readers a 25% discount on all purchases until 11/15/2009. Simply use the discount code (all lower case): craftcritique

Have you gone “Squigital” with Squigglefly digital stamps? Share your thoughts with our readers.

10 Responses to Squigglefly Digital Stamps

1. RosieP October 23, 2009 at 9:58 am #

I’m loving this! I’m just getting into rubber stamping, but I’m already a digital scrapbooking addict, so Sqigglefly is a natural fit for me. I’m going to check them out right now!

2. Holly October 23, 2009 at 10:09 am #

Love your cards Heather! Each one is colored beautifully and the fun you had making them shines through!

3. bumblebee creations October 23, 2009 at 11:07 am #

Well, I can definately say that SQUIGGLEFLY is AWESOME, and their images are varied, so you are right -there is something for everyone!!!! You can’t go wrong with SQUIGGLEFLY! Love your cards!!!

4. msfreida October 23, 2009 at 11:31 am #

While I LOVE my rubber stamps, digital images have won my heart! Not only are they a cinch to store, the ability to resize is my favorite attribute! From what I’ve seen, Squigglefly has THE BEST designers around! They have EVERY corner covered with such an array of choices! What is most helpful also are the tutorials and videos offered on their site…some freebies too! 🙂 Can’t go wrong here! ; )

5. Janine October 23, 2009 at 1:49 pm #

Thanks so much for this post!! They have the absolute most cutest images on that site!! Really generous of them for the discount, too!! The tutorial videos are outstanding—even more tutorials, tips and tricks to be found if you follow the video link over to YouTube. Outstanding stuff!! Thanks a bunch!!

6. Betty aka ZacksNana October 24, 2009 at 10:26 am #

YES! I HAVE gone Squigglefly! Love their images. So easy to color and to cute!!!

7. Stef H (Glitterbabe) October 27, 2009 at 11:57 am #

i have been with the squigglefly DT almost from the start and i couldn’t have said it better myself! they are my 2d family!

and such beautiful cards!!!!!

hugs,

8. treesawardincrafts October 28, 2009 at 4:04 am #

I live in a small flat and don’t have much space for my craft stash. Having all my images in my A4 sized laptop is a big life saver. In addition, I categorise all my images, so when I want to make a “Cute” card or “Christmas” card I press a button and all my stamps show up to give me inspiration.

I visit Squigglefly often. There are always images that I find I’ve missed or are just right and I MUST have and they download the same day. Yay for Digi Stamps!!

9. Annie October 31, 2009 at 10:03 pm #

Thank you!!! This is soooo awesome!! 🙂

10. Janie M Katrine (Jay-Jay) February 12, 2010 at 10:18 pm #

I just found Squigglefly a few days ago and printed out some images! I have been having so much fun ever since. My kids love to color them too! I asked a support question and I got GREAT help. The support is really nice and helpful. LOVE SQUIGGLEFLY!!