Elmer’s Sticky Dot Stamper

Reported by Stephanie Wheeler

How many times have you reached for your roll of sticky dots only to rip one off on your finger, rendering it unusable after it touches your skin? Sure, the instructions tell you not to touch the dot, but that’s easier said than done.

Sticky dots are notorious for sticking to anything and everything, and sometimes sticking to nothing. That’s what makes Elmer’s Sticky Dot Stamper such a great crafting find! This dispenser takes the guesswork and annoyance out of a simple and necessary part of crafting.

I really try to limit my “gadget intake” when it comes to scrapbooking – I really want something that is really going to be useful, not just take up space on my desk. After getting this dispenser for around $6 (I used a coupon), I figured it was time to try it out. I was pleasantly surprised with how useful and convenient it turned out to be.

This sticky dot dispenser is perfect for all kinds of crafts – card making, scrapbooking and mixed media projects. Every time you need a new sticky dot, you simply place the mouth of the dispenser where you need to add adhesive, pull down on the shuttle, and it sticks a dot exactly where you need it, and viola! No more wasted dots!

The sticky dots are also great for giving some dimension to your projects when layered on top of each other, and because they are permanent and very tacky, they are really good for adhering larger, heavier objects such as buttons or chipboard.

The Elmer’s Sticky Dot Stamper itself costs around $10, but is readily available in retail and craft stores, so it can be purchased with coupons for much less.

Refills are surprisingly cost-effective. A roll of 500 will set you back around $5, which is much cheaper than most sticky dot rolls. Also, refills come in three sizes – 3/8″, 5/8″ and 7/16″, so there’s a sticky dot for every project.

Pros:

• New dispenser comes equipped with a whole roll of 500 dots.
  • Applies dots easily, quickly and accurately.
  • Keeps sticky dots inside the dispensing mechanism, preventing them from sticking to anything and everything.
  • Easily available online and in retail stores.
  • Each refill contains 500 dots.
  • Dots come in three sizes – 3/8″, 5/8″ and 7/16″, and are acid-free and photo safe.

Cons:

• Stamper is a bit bulky, and let’s face it, another gadget.
  • Takes a few tries to get the hang of where the stamp will actually be placed.
  • Takes specific refills.

So what do you think? Would Elmer’s Sticky Dot Stamper make your crafting a bit easier? We’d love to know!

, , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Elmer’s Sticky Dot Stamper

1. Kristine November 18, 2009 at 10:17 am #

Loving the dots as always!
    Will definitely be on the lookout for the Elmer’s stamper to try it out!

2. Rachel November 18, 2009 at 10:46 am #

I have this gadget and love it. For all the reasons you said and because there is so little waste on the refills.

It’s a great gizmo.

3. RosieP November 18, 2009 at 10:52 am #

This sounds like a great product, I’ll be looking for it. I bought a sticky dot sheet a while back thinking this would be the “best” for adhering small embellishments on a page and it’s been impossible (for me anyway LOL) to keep those dots from also winding up on things I don’t want dots on.

4. Jen_in_Kansas November 18, 2009 at 12:35 pm #

When a friend let me try this I was in love and ran out and bought one. It worked great for the first 2 refills and now won’t work at all. I thought maybe it was the refill, so tried another one. I have discovered this is the case with a lot of my adhesives. They work great untill about the third refill and then stop working. I have no idea why.

5. Lynda November 18, 2009 at 12:45 pm #

Sounds like something I’d like to try for sure!

Thanks for the review!

6. kkaisu November 18, 2009 at 12:56 pm #

Can you swap out the different dot size refills or do you need a dispenser for each dot size? Sounds like a fantastic product, but if you can swap out sizes – even better!

7. Vel November 18, 2009 at 12:56 pm #

Well, I’m a bit of a glue dots-aholic but I’d love to try something like this that would make it easier. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to put a dot on chipboard, for example and pulled the backing off the chipboard because it only half adhered. I’d be curious how this works in the long run though since one of the comments was how it broke after the second refill.

8. Jackie November 18, 2009 at 1:50 pm #

It definitely looks like a useful gadget – and I do love gadgets. Do you think it holds as well as the Glue Dots?

9. Robin Brown aka Mrs Pup in NY November 18, 2009 at 3:03 pm #

I would love to try this. Thank you so much for your input. I think it is worth a try. I hope our Michaels has it so I can use a coupon.

10. MisfitGirl November 18, 2009 at 3:11 pm #

I have a Dots dispenser but it doesn’t have refills which I don’t like, I’ll have to move to this one now.

11. Rebecca Ednie November 18, 2009 at 5:34 pm #

I look forward to trying this product! I hate normal sticky dots for exactly the reasons you outlined! Only problem I’ve had with other dots in a dispenser was that they weren’t as sticky as dots on the roll by the same brand-practically useless! I hope this isn’t the case with this brand!

12. Stephanie November 18, 2009 at 5:52 pm #

Hi ladies! Thanks for all of your comments.

I haven’t had any problems with my dispenser, but I have yet to reach the end of the roll, so I can’t say.

As far as the tackiness of the dots, I have found them to be exactly like any other dots, and they are made by Elmer’s, which to me, means a lot.

And the refills all fit in the same dispenser, regardless of the size of the dot.

Keep those comments coming!

13. Esther W-B November 19, 2009 at 12:53 am #

I’m afraid I just can’t seem to get the hang of where it’s going to put the dot. I see where I think it’s supposed to go but I keep missing somehow :-( so right now I have to say that I don’t like it.

14. Kim P. November 19, 2009 at 3:24 am #

I have this gadget and as ‘fun’ as it is to use, I still have trouble gauging where the dot will land exactly and if I don’t apply even pressure on the machine when I push it down, the dot won’t completely stick to the surface intended which results in me having to reapply pressure to secure it. Hence the reason why after two years of having this machine, I’m still working off the original roll.

15. billiejo November 20, 2009 at 9:51 am #

Thanks for this review. I’ve really wanted to try this “gadget” but like you, worried it was going to sit around useless. I’m heading to get one today and since I teach weekly classes, I may end up with one for each size. Passing the rolls around in class can waste a lot of dots and frustrate a lot of students. Of course, we’ll all need to learn the placement, but that will be easy.

16. Yo yo yo March 11, 2013 at 12:22 am #

Hey this person got it for $6!!!!! I got mine for $3!!!!!! At dollarama so I say she got it for a ripoff

• Yo yo yo March 11, 2013 at 12:23 am #