Studio3 Color Cubbie Storage

Reported by Beth Silaika

In my quest for the ultimate in craft studio organization, I have tried many options for Copic Marker storage. I have tried the clear Copic storage containers, black velcro wallet cases, small metal buckets from the Target dollar spot, but nothing seems to be the right fit for the sheer mass of markers which I quickly accumulated. I ended up filling up 4 buckets with my Copic markers and the buckets took up too much space on my craft surface. I wanted to find a clean cut solution which would not break the bank!

While blog surfing one day, I stumbled across the Color Cubbie from Studio3 Solutions. This little storage is BIG on value and storage area! Each color cubbie is 4 5/16″ wide and 14″ high. The unit is only 5 1/2″ deep, which is perfect for most desks and crafting surfaces. It has a durable, white vinyl finish that coordinates well with every color craft room! At $16.95 per cubbie, the storage is affordable for my needs.

I ended up ordering a few cubbies, thinking I could use it for my collection of gel pens, copic markers and aquapainters. I was amazed at the quality of the product and the sheer volume that each shelf can hold. Each little shelf holds approximately 24 Copic sketch markers. You can fit at least 30 gel pens, Stampin’ Up! markers, Prismacolor pens or pencils on each shelf!

Here are shelves side by side with my Copic markers and a variety of gel pens. What I love about the storage is that it fit on my book shelf directly above my craft desk. I can see the pens and the numbers on the caps easily, which I could not do when they were in the metal Target dollar spot buckets. It is so easy to color now because I can grab the exact color I need and clean up is a snap! The shelves are at a slight angle, so the markers and pens don’t slip out. They stay nice and secure in their little shelf! Since they are on the book shelf right above my craft desk, I have them at eye level and they even look pretty with all the Copic marker colors divided up into like colors.
As previously mentioned, I ordered a few of these shelves. Even after dividing up my Copics and gel pens into a variety of color families, I still had two more Color Cubbies to fill. I looked around my craft room for my next problem storage area and realized that I had a small plastic CD container holding my Papertrey Ink Perfect Match ink pads. I was always having a difficult time locating the correct color ink in the bin and suddenly had a “lightbulb” moment. There was plenty of space for the inks and they fit quite perfectly in the shelves. I was able to fit four ink pads on each shelf.

In order to tell the various colors apart, I used a label maker and printed out the name of the ink color and used a swipe from a coordinating Copic marker to label the appropriate ink to the shelf.

The entire storage solution for four Color Cubbies, side by side, is approximately 17 1/4 inches wide, still only 5 1/2 inches deep and 14 inches high. The sheer volume of storage is impressive and it has cleared so much of the clutter on my desk. It has made me a more efficient stamper and allows me to clean up my craft space so much quicker!

I love my Color Cubbie. I am pleased because it takes up so much less space than all the previous storage containers I used before for my Copic markers, Sakura and Spica gel pens, Aqua painters, and Papertrey Ink Perfect Match ink pads. The cost was also relatively inexpensive compared to having a custom piece made. The shipping was very quick and the product is well made and very sturdy. Next, I will be tackling my paper and stamp storage in my craft space.

Pros:

• inexpensive solution to your storage needs
  • well made, sturdy design
  • clean style
  • white color, which fits most craft room color schemes
  • slanted shelves to prevent items from falling out
  • finish can be cleaned with a damp cloth
  • holds 24 Copic sketch makers per shelf
  • holds more than 30 Stampin’ Up markers per shelf
  • holds more than 30 Skaura or Spica gel pens per shelf
  • holds more than 30 Prismacolor pencils per shelf
  • great storage solution for Papertrey Ink Perfect Match ink pads
  • allows you to see the colors/numbers on the end of your markers/pens
  • takes up very little space for the amount of storage!

Cons:

• online purchase, not available in retail locations (but worth the wait)
  • once you see your items organized, you realize that you need more Copic markers

Do you have the Studio3 Color Cubbie storage unit? What do you think of it?

, , ,

17 Responses to Studio3 Color Cubbie Storage

1. Jackie May 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm #

I don’t have one of these yet but I really, really, really want one! Or three. They are on my wish list, just not in my budget at the moment.

2. Kristyn May 24, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

I just recently ordered one for myself and as a gift for a friend. I could not wait to put my Copics in their new and final home!!! But you are right…now I want more Copics!! Ha!!!
    Kristyn

P.S. I ordered mine on Friday and had it by Tuesday!

3. Anonymous May 24, 2010 at 4:52 pm #

I love mine too. Can’t think of a thing I would change about them.

4. Erika M. May 24, 2010 at 5:04 pm #

I’m liking the looks of this – I may have to actually purchase a couple of these now that I know how versatile they are.

5. Melissa May 24, 2010 at 6:45 pm #

I ordered these cubbies a few months ago & I just love them. They work perfect for my COPIC & Prismacolor markers. It is nice to have them easily accessible on my desk. The customer service at Studio3 is awesome!

6. construction_julie May 24, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

I really like this solution! Thanks!

7. KathyN May 24, 2010 at 9:37 pm #

Beth, yes, I LOVE my Color Cubbies. I bought 4 and have 3 I am using currently. It actually cleaned up my desk. Very well made, excellent service, reasonable price.

8. Kim May 24, 2010 at 9:42 pm #

I do have these and absolutely LOVE them! When I build my craft room will definitely be getting more for the rest of my pens/markers…however right now all of my Copics have a home and they are VERY happy about it! 🙂
    Hugs~ Kim

9. Michelle E May 24, 2010 at 10:57 pm #

I have one cubby and would like another. It came really fast and is great quality. I love how I can see the end of all my Copics and they stay in when you take one out. No more tumbling markers.

10. Michelle | Printed Tickets May 25, 2010 at 12:18 am #

I think this keeps a lot of things organized, especially if you do a lot of craft work. I don’t do a lot but it still gets everywhere!

11. Mary Anne / MA54K May 25, 2010 at 7:13 am #

I have 2 of these and wish I had ordered 4! Company ships fast, items are packaged well, and I just love them! Don’t even hesitate on these!

12. Tina Gilliland May 25, 2010 at 11:26 am #

Ok I do NOT have these! But… my question is… I have ALL the Copic Sketch markers… 336, I believe. So I would need at least 3 of these shelf units. But.. If I separate by color, as you did… wouldn’t I have lots of wasted not used space??? I would love to keep my Copics in the containers they came in (4-72 unit boxes .. the additional 48 came in 12 piece boxes), but I need the slant and I like they are all in the same position. I keep them all face me (the numbers) and so… someone needs to make a rack to hold ALL of them but with each one raised a bit behind the other and slanted. *sigh* Still looking!

13. Becky May 25, 2010 at 11:44 am #

No I do not have one of these but it looks fabulous, like I need it. 🙂

14. Samantha T. May 25, 2010 at 12:49 pm #

This is a great product.Thanks for sharing.

15. Pegg S May 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

Looks great! I can’t find the info on their site, but curious as to roughly how much shipping is.

16. MisfitGirl May 25, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

I’d like to make a recommendation about labeling the ink pads. I swipe the color on a piece of paper, cut it out and use double sided tape to place it on the side of the ink pad. Makes it so easier to find the exact color you want. A picture from my blog here http://misfitgirl.blogspot.com/2009/11/space-saver.html

17. Jennifer S July 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

I can’t find these anywhere for sale on line or in stores. Anyone know how to get them?