Scor-Tape vs. Redline adhesive

Typically, when I needed something to really stick, I reached for my redline adhesive. It did the trick, but it had some annoying habits (like the red liner sticking to my hands, my face, my cats, my kids, etc.).A few weeks ago, I was super excited to score some Scor-Tape from Archivers. Now this isn’t a new product, and it’s widely available online, but I had just been too lazy to make an order.

Since I happened to have a roll of redline laying around, I thought I’d compare the two to see how they stood up in stickiness, price and convenience.

First up, when I say redline adhesive, I mean any of the super sticky double-sided adhesive that has a red backing paper. It’s sold under a few different brand names, like Terifically Tacky by ProvoCraft and Sticky Strip by Stampin’ Up. I’ve used both, and can’t say I’ve noticed a difference in the products.

Scor-Tape is distributed by Scor-Pal, the same people that brought us the wonderful scoring boards.

Both Scor-Tape and redline adhesive are double-sided, acid free, heat resistant, and are suited for embossing, glitter, microbeads, paper, foils, ribbon, metal and more.

These tapes are the serious workhorses of crafting. They are what I turn to when I’m making 3-D items, like goodie boxes, altering items, covering chipboard with fabric or paper, making pockets or envelopes, and when I want a nice clean, crisp line of glitter.

Redline adhesive is available in a variety of widths including 1/8, 1/4, 1 1/16 inches wide and 6×8 sheets. There may be more sizes out there, but those were the ones that came up most often in a Google search. Generally the rolls are five yards (15 feet) long.

Stampin’ Up’s Sticky Strip is a 10-yard roll that is 1/4 inches wide.

Scor-Tape is available in 27 yard rolls in 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1 1/2, 2, and 2 1/2 inch widths, as well as 6×6 and 8.5×11 sheets.

At first glance, you might think the prices for the two are comparable. Redline is about $3.25 for a 1/4 inch roll while Scor-Tape is $5 for a same width roll. But, the redline roll is only five yards, meaning cost per yard is 65 cents (or 69 cents per yard from Stampin’ Up). In comparison, the Scor-Tape roll is 27 yards, for a cost of 18 cents per yard. Big difference, especially if you’re using a lot of tape.

Here you can see the difference in how much tape is on a fresh roll of each. Scor-Tape is the white roll on the left.

Yea for cheaper prices and more tape on the roll (which means less trips to the store, or fewer online orders).For my comparison, I used a 1/4-inch wide roll of each.

First thing I noticed when adhering a piece of tape to my sample sheet was how easy it was to trim off a piece of Scor-Tape. In fact, there was no trimming involved; I could TEAR it.

Oh my word, this made me happier than tape should ever make a person. But I’ve had an ongoing struggle with cutting redline adhesive. Anybody else find themselves juggling a project, a roll of tape and a pair of scissors?
Scor-Tape is backed with paper, hence why you can tear it. Redline is backed with a plastic, film-like substance. There’s no tearing that stuff.

Next little thing that made me ridiculously happy–the Scor-Tape backing didn’t stick to me; I could get it straight into the garbage can without looking like a gesticulating fool. Thanks to good old static cling, the backing from redline adhesive is like a second skin.

I also found it was slightly easier to remove the backing from the Scor-Tape, once I had the tape in place, although it had its moments of frustration.
But how about performance, you know, does it stick? First up, I tried ribbon and embossing powder. Once I’d burnished the ribbon down, there was no moving it (at least not without damage to my paper and ribbon) with both the Scor-Tape and redline adhesive.
The embossing had some slightly difference results. I found that Scor-Tape had a smoother finish the more I heated it. No matter how I heated the redline adhesive, it never really lost the bumpy texture.
In the close-up below, you can see the difference better. I did hold the heat gun purposefully on the bottom section of both for about 15 seconds, seeing if I could damage the tape. My paper scorched, but neither tape melted or lost its shape.

I did notice when I picked up the paper, that both lines of tape cracked.

I then tried some gold leafing and glitter. Both tapes grabbed on well. I love using glitter with these tapes — it sticks really well and makes for a nice clean line of glitter.

One of may favorite uses for Scor-Tape is constructing fun 3-D items. Here I made a quick 2x2x2 little favor box. They’re so simple–start with a 6-inch square of cardstock; score at 2 and 4 inches.

Cut four slits, two on each side, up to your score mark.

Add Scor-Tape to the flaps like so:

Adhere the sides of your favor box. So cute and small.

Use Scor-Tape to add a handle, and add some decorations. You’re done! And with Scor-Tape, there’s no worry your favor boxes will come undone in the middle of your dinner party/birthday/wedding.

Next up, I made a card, putting in to use some fun glitter strips made with Scor-Tape. One think I learned while making this card — do your brightest colors of glitter first. I had some red seep into my yellow. But no worries, I layered another strip of Scor-Tape over the first yellow/red-glittered one, and added more yellow glitter. I was doubtful it would stick over the glitter, but it did great.

I also love my Scor-Tape for altering items. I had this mini MDF board clipboard in my stash. I thought it would be perfect to hold my menu planner in my kitchen, but it needed to be beautified.

When I use Scor-Tape to cover something with paper or fabric, I always make sure to put the tape right on the edges, so the paper or fabric won’t lift up. Here’s my clipboard with Scor-Tape in place.

And here’s my finished project, ready for this week’s menu.

Overall, I didn’t notice too much difference in the adhering properties of Scor-Tape and redline. The redline did have a bumpier texture when embossing powder was added and heated. But if that’s the look you want, great. I also only used one layer of powder, so it may smooth out with more layers.

It was really the little things like the ability to tear it and no backing static cling, not to mention value, that for me puts Scor-Tape at the top of the list.The only downside is that it’s harder for me to find Scor-Tape in my area; redline is readily available in the Big Box craft stores. But, Scor-Tape is easily found online through Scor-Pal and also Amazon.com.

Pros:

• Both tapes are super sticky, double-sided and acid free.
  • Both can be used on a variety of surfaces.
  • Scor-Tape comes in more widths, a bigger roll and is cheaper.
  • Scor-Tape can be torn and the backing paper doesn’t stick to your hands.

Cons:

• Scor-Tape can be tricky to find in a brick and mortar store, but it is readily available online.
  • Redline is more expensive, and comes in smaller rolls.
  • Redline cannot be torn, and thanks to static cling, the backing paper sticks to everything.

Which super-sticky double-sided adhesive do you prefer? Leave a comment and let us know!

Disclosure

horizontal-line

, , , , , , ,

39 Responses to Scor-Tape vs. Redline adhesive

1. ~amy~ March 8, 2011 at 9:12 am #

love this article…I was a red liner fan but LOVE Scor-Tape…I was always frustrated with the red liner tape backing would stick to me too!

2. Elaine A March 8, 2011 at 9:21 am #

Scor-tape all the way. Now if they only made it so it could be used with an ATG gun!

Elaine Allen

3. Annette A. March 8, 2011 at 10:06 am #

great article, I love when you compare and show us the pros and cons. I really like the Scor-tap.

4. Tamara March 8, 2011 at 10:47 am #

Scor tape all the way!!!

It’s cheaper, able to be ripped, the backing comes off easier. For me, there is no comparison.

5. pezadoodle March 8, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

fantastic article! i am a total scor tape junkie and always have been – price AND the fact that i can just tear it!

6. Jami {sgtStamper} March 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm #

I am a huge fan of scor-tape / sookwang. Sookwang is the manufacturer of the scor-tape. You can pick up that exact same 27 yd roll of 1/4″ tape for only $3.69. That makes it only 13 cents a yard! :)

7. Liz March 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

I have both kinds of tape, and to be honest, I’ve never used the scor-tape. I can tell you though, that the red tape sticks like crazy, with the cons being the same as yours – the backing sticks to you, and you have to cut it. I will use scor-tape on my next heavy duty project and see what it does.

8. Annette J. March 8, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

I do love my red line tape, but… I just got my first roll of scor-tape and I have not used it for much yet.. so there could be a new love in my life! Thanks for the article!!

9. Tracy March 8, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

I have only used the red tape, because I am not an online shopper….close your mouths now, teehee.
    But my store hasn’t carried it for months now.
    I may have to start shopping online.. cringe

10. Beth March 8, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

I have used the red-liner in the past but now am a scor-tape user and love it have a roll that has lasted me forever the red liner seemed to run out so fast, also love the fact that I can just tear it insteadof using scissors.

11. Shirley Fread March 8, 2011 at 3:02 pm #

I only use Scor-tape. It’s the best!!!

12. Linda March 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

I have only used the red line tape and never tried the Scor-Tape. But I would love to give it a try. I fight the static with the red line backing that drives me nuts.
    Thank you for the great article.

13. Kim Bush March 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

I have been using Scor Tape for a long time and am hooked! I love to just tear a piece off and love to use glitter with it too!

Kim B.

14. Kathy Billings March 8, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

I will never go back to red line tape. I’ve been using scor-tape for a long time and love it and it is cheaper. I buy it online and buy two or three rolls at a time so I don’t run out to soon. It is the best!!!!!!

15. Aznewmom March 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

Thanks for the great review. I have been in dire need of a new adhesive for my scrapping and cards. I have some tape runner stuff, that I have used for years, but my pages have started to come apart!!!! Arrrrrgh!
    So, was leaning toward an ATG, but have heard that they are huge! Thinking that the scor-tape may be the way to go.

16. Nana Jo March 8, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

Great review – have both but have not tried the score tape.
    mmlmn @polarcomm.com

17. Erica March 8, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

Scor-Tape is one of the best products on the market for 3D stampers. Thanks for reminding me I can emboss right on it, with your lovely card. Thanks also for the unexpected quickie tute on the box.

18. Cricut Design Chicks SWARM March 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

wow!! detailed. THANKS!! I have always used the red-line. I do believe i will switch over. I had so many issues with the red-tape when I was making 150 boxes. LOVE your site and UR determination of truth for one and all!! :) Doris
    parkernana5@cox.net

19. Jessica March 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

Thanks so much for this comparison. I’ve always used redtape but have wondered how score-tape compared. Now I will definitely try the score-tape. I love article like this that do all the work for me. Thanks again.

20. Andrene March 8, 2011 at 4:48 pm #

Without a doubt the Scor Tape wins hands down for all the pros and cons you sited. Have used both and scor tape is so mucheasier.

21. Penny March 8, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

Love Scor-Tape! Wouldn’t go back to red tape for any reason!

22. Jan Castle March 8, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

A no-brainer! Score-Tape for me!!!
    Thanks for the review.
    Jan

23. orfanannie March 8, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

I’ve usedthem both. Both good products, but I prefer Scor-tape for the same reasons you quoted…no static cling and the ability to tear it. The price is also a factor. If I can buy the “same” product for less money, I like it a lot.

24. Shelley Germann March 8, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

Thanks for all the great info. I have only used the redline and really wondered about Scor-Tape. Looks like I’ll be converting!

25. Kay March 9, 2011 at 2:30 am #

Pricing is always tricky. When you use a 40% off coupon Red Line drops considerably in price per yard. Then you also have to consider shipping for online purchases. In in just plain cost per yard the Sookwang tape is the very best buy and is just the same as the Scor-tape.

26. Jen O March 9, 2011 at 4:20 am #

thanks for the great review! i’m adding the Scor-Tape to my wishlist! :)

27. Sandy O March 9, 2011 at 7:35 am #

Great comparison. I love my scor-tape hope I never have to use the red line tape again. What made me a true lover of the scor-tap is the lack of cling. The red line tape platic just does not let go. I never thought to emboss with them, glad you showed that.

28. Maureen March 9, 2011 at 8:21 am #

Oh Scor-Tape is THE BEST stuff I have ever used! It holds everything; and with patience, can even be repositioned if necessary (who, me, attach something crooked???) ;)

I even use the it for non-crafting adhesive needs when I really need something to hold well!

29. Angie Hall Haviland March 9, 2011 at 9:06 am #

OK this pushes me over the edge. I’ve been using redliner tape for years. Recently I saw someone use the scor-tape in a video and thought hmmmm I should order some. Placed and order the other day and thought nah, I don’t really need that I’ll just keep using the redliner. NOPE next time I order I will be switching over and trying the scor-tape for sure. THANKS so much for this review!!!!!

30. Kristin March 9, 2011 at 11:10 am #

I love Scor-Tape! You can get it at Cutter’s Creek and from The Angel Company (I am an angel, so if you are looking for someone to order from ;) Kristin Keller angel 4801

31. Card Crazy March 9, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

Having used both, I am a Scor-Tape convert without reservation. It’s my go to tape when I need to be sure anything, and I mean Anything!, will stick. The 1/8 inch is great for tearing off tiny bits to stick down those unruly edges that want to curl up, or adhering tiny items. All in all, I don’t know how I managed before Scor-Tape. It’s a real blessing.
    Sue S.

32. Gwen Howard March 9, 2011 at 10:16 pm #

Both are excellent, however I prefer Scor-Tape or all the reasons you pointed out in your comparison.

33. Mel M. M. McCarthy March 9, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

Scor-Tape hands down, but if you’re having trouble finding it, I’ve also heard it called Be Creative tape & as someone already mentioned Sookwang tape. Love the stuff! Thanks for the great review, Susan.

34. Anonymous March 10, 2011 at 12:09 am #

Sookwang fan here!
    Thanks for the embossing comparison. I didn’t realize you could heat emboss it.

35. Hi March 13, 2011 at 3:32 am #

They’re both GREAT adhesives, but after I found a piece of the red, plastic backing IN THE REFRIGERATOR!, I switched to Sookwang (Scor-Tape) exclusively. : )

36. BunnyFreak March 31, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

Thanks for the review. I am going to have to look for this tape at Archivers now.

37. Judy Nolan August 30, 2012 at 11:51 pm #

Great post! I prefer Scor-Tape, which actually is available under another name: Tacky Tear Tape. Both are manufactured by Sookwang, a Korean company. I didn’t know that Scor-Tape handles heat better; that is very useful to know.

38. Joyce Perry December 26, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

Great information. have been trying every tape out there. Sookwang seems to solve all my needs. THANKS.

39. Ange May 4, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

I have used redline tape, but after ready this informative article I’m heading to hobby lobby to see if they carry scor-tape. Thanks so much for posting this.