Cricut Cake Part 1: Cookies

I have been the proud owner of a Cricut Cake machine since it came out. However, it has not come without a long learning curve, so I am here to give you the lowdown on the machine as I have experienced it.

I have been a cookie maker/decorator for many years so I was honestly more excited about the cookie possibilities than I was about the cake decorating possibilities. So how did it do?

Fall cookies made using the Doodlecharms Cartridge and frosted with Royal Icing. Cupcakes in the back with little matching Fondant leaves.

Ladybug cookies with Royal Icing base and Fondant top layer

These little gems did NOT come without frustration.

First cutting the cookie dough. I ALWAYS use Martha Stewart’s basic sugar cookie recipe and have for years. Tastes delicious and DOES NOT lose it’s detail or puff out when baked.

As shown above the dough MUST be put in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before you try to cut it or your edges will be ragged. In addition you must be sure to roll it out thin enough to fit under the roller bar of the machine. In addition I found it better to cut the SHADOWS of each shape out of the dough for you cookies.

Next I put the royal icing base on. Now, I have always done the entire surface of a cookie with Royal Icing – details and all. But, I thought, wouldn’t it be awesome if I could do layers with my Cricut Cake instead? Commence disaster….I used fondant. I rolled it out nice and thin (I thought) and tried to cut. The fondant did NOT stay still on the mat despite having used Crisco like I was supposed to. I put it in the freezer for half an hour and tried again. I had much better luck with the actual cutting:

Getting it OFF the mat was another story altogether. The fondant was sticky and stretchy and I found it nearly impossible to get it off the mat without it being distorted. I would put it in the freezer but it would thaw back out quickly and get sticky so I was putting it back in constantly and it was very time consuming. After spending an entire day trying, I only had the three ladybugs that turned out well. Here are a couple others I tried to do but gave up before doing all of the layers.

You can see how badly the fondant layer matched the base shadow layer.

I finally admitted defeat with the fondant, but not the Cricut Cake. I was determined to master it and I did. Tune in for part 2 tomorrow to see what I finally learned for perfect results every time.

Pros:

• I can cut a huge variety of shapes in all sizes without the expense or storage headache of individual cookie cutters.
  • I knew once I learned – I would be able to make the layers for each cookie shape quicker and easier and better than I could with Royal Icing
  • Works with ALL of the regular Cricut Cartridges.

Cons:

• Cricut Cake has a learning curve – you cannot take it out of the box and be an instant decorator. (Of course this can be accomplished and then this con goes away).
  • It takes a lot longer to cut cookies this way than the traditional cookie cutter way.
  • Supplies can be tough to find.

Do you have a Cricut Cake? Do you like it? Do you use it? Have you thought about getting one? Why did you or did you not get one?

horizontal-line

, ,

8 Responses to Cricut Cake Part 1: Cookies

1. Annette A. April 4, 2011 at 10:58 am #

I love what the Cricut can do. I do not have one, I can not afford one of the machines or the cartridges. But I think it is a truly amazing machine.

2. Katherine April 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

I don’t have a cricut cake. At first it was b/c of the $$$ and then I heard how hard it was to use so didn’t consider one when they were on sale. That was still a lot of money to pay for something I would get frustrated with and cram in the closet.

3. Angel April 4, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

Look at the this web page under tips and recipes. http://www.cricut.com/cake
    They have a wonderful gumpaste that might work better and also taste better then Fondent. I hope it helps.

4. Tamikko April 4, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

I’m in awe because I didn’t even know you could do that. Amazing! Looks like fun. Unfortunately can’t afford one, but I love what you can do. 🙂

5. Kathy April 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

Nope, this is not for me. I have a Wishblade and have no patience for long learning curves, so this Cake thing would do me in. I also don’t make many desserts, so the money spent wouldn’t be worth it for me. It would be another machine sitting idle!
    That said, I think YOUR cookies look great, even the ones you don’t think look good!!! Can’t wait to see part II tomorrow!

6. Karenb April 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm #

I was thrilled to see the Cricut Cake being used to make decorated cookies!!! I was thinking of purchasing one for this purpose. However, after reading everything you went through just to cut the dough, I decided it would be faster and easier to make my own cookie cutters with my Expression and thin plastic. I’ll use a knife to trace around the plastic template(cookie cutter I made). This way I can customize my cookie shapes and create any size I want.
    As far as storage, I’ll put them in a large ziplock bag. And, when I accumulate too many, I will sort them and package them by theme.
    I think my way will be less frustrating and I won’t need to buy a new machine. Thanks for saving me a lot of time, and money!!!!

7. Elise April 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm #

I am totally digging everything you did and this is one of my wish items. I used to make cakes for a living so I’m salivating at the thought of having a machine like this.

8. Teresa Lynn Bruner February 29, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

I’m glad you posted this. I have a Cricut Cake and what you say is true, it’s not just plug & play. I was totally frustrated at first, but kept playing with it, till I figured out what works best for me. Lately, I’ve been cutting cookies with it (I plaster parchment paper down with Crisco 1st before rolling out the dough) and have fun learning how to decorate the cookies. Anyway, just want to encourage others who might be frustrated with their Cricut to keep at it & not to give up.