Cricut Cake Part 2

If you read Part 1 (yesterday) you will know that my Cricut Cake and I were not fast friends. However, I was determined to master it and I did. So I wanted to share my tips and discoveries with all of you.

This is a cake I made for Super Bowl Sunday:

We were a house divided so I had to make a half and half cake.

I used my Everyday Paper Dolls Cartridge for the little football players, goal post and footballs.

The side has a banner from Cake Basics and then I added the little footballs. I FINALLY had enough time and energy to do a bit of “finishing” on this one and added dots of yellow buttercream around the top and bottom. Kevin said this was the best one yet…it was also the easiest!

I can’t believe how easy it has turned out to be to use my Cricut Cake machine. I really struggled with it at first and I know a lot of others have as well so I will go through all of my steps:

1. PLAN YOUR DESIGN – it is really the best to plan your design and lay it all out in Design Studio. I make a file for each color of gumpaste I will be using. I use the cake pan size as a guide for sizing my design. By doing this you can cut your gumpaste quickly before it warms and softens when you take it out of the freezer. Resist the urge to weld one long border piece – it will be MUCH harder to move and put onto your cake!

2. Make your gumpaste sheets (not fondant.) – I have been using the Cricut Gumpaste in the tub and have been very happy with it. I use 3 mats when doing this but I may need more….be sure to knead your chunk of gumpaste really well to get it soft and pliable. Now put on some latex gloves, rub them all over with a bit of crisco and start coloring. I use Americolor coloring gel a drop or two at a time…knead it really well to get the color smooth and not streaky.

3. Roll it out on a flexible plastic mat (Cricut mat if you have enough) dusted with a mix of half cornstarch and half powdered sugar. Roll it really thin. Like really thin. Then roll it thinner.

4. Cover your Cricut mat with Crisco – you want a good thorough coating so your gumpaste will stick and not move around. Lay the mat on top of your rolled gumpaste and then flip your “sandwich” over and carefully peel your top mat off.

5. Trim the gumpaste so it is within the borders of your Cricut mat. Now roll it out some more – I can usually get it even thinner at this stage. Trim again to keep from gunking up your rollers.

6. Now put the mat in the freezer for 30 minutes or so. I do ALL of my mats at once so they can all sit in the freezer. You can put some saran wrap over them so they don’t dry out.

7. Once the gumpaste has chilled you are ready to cut. Since you have your design laid out in Design Studio you can cut all your items from each color quickly. Once each one is done remove the excess gumpaste and put it back in the freezer.

8. Now you need to put your layers together. I used some “glue” I made by dissolving a bit of gumpaste in water. I painted it on the back of my layers as I put them together. Once done I put them all BACK in the freezer, covered, until I was ready to put them on my cake. This way they would be a bit sturdier when I move them.

9. Bake your cake and ice it – I highly recommend Rick’s Special Buttercream – THE BEST.

10. Now simply add your gumpaste cut-outs to your cake!

Does anyone else have a Cricut Cake machine? Do you use yours? Do you have any other helpful tips to share? Leave a comment and let us know.

6 Responses to Cricut Cake Part 2

1. Anonymous April 5, 2011 at 8:16 am #

yes the gumpaste is the best for this machine! The fondant and especially the sheets of frosting paper, not so much! Very cool football cake, and LOVE that it’s the Martha Stewart Edition of the Cake machine

2. Katherine April 5, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

Your cake is adorable. Have thought about possibly trying the small version of the cricut cake. Do you know if there are any differences, other than size?

3. jkinney April 5, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

Hi, Marti! Love your posts on the Cake. I was a paid demonstrator for Provo Craft when cake was launched nation-wide through Michael’s and JoAnn’s. Your tips are really great and your cake is adorable. I personally love the frosting sheets as they are pre-colored and easy to cut out. The main problem was that people used too much Crisco (sliding) or not enough (lifting and then blade got caught). Most of my demos were to people had bought the cake, heard of difficulties of the Internet so were afraid to use it. Better instructions could have been provided by PC on Cricut.com. Your top frosting needs a bit of smoothing. Just dip your spatula in very hot water and smooth over your frosting before it sets. We were trained to use a water brush to brush the cutouts to adhere to fondant. If your frosting is still moist, just stick the cutouts to the frosting. I have used my Cake to cutout cookie dough, cheese slices and tortillas, in addition to fondant and gumpaste. To the lady asking about the mini-cake machine- unless you plan on doing very large cutout, the mini would be great and it’s at a great price point from JoAnn’s. My favorite part of the Cake is that all carts fit so I can coordinate the paper invitations, decorations and also make cake decor. Love it!

4. Karenb April 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

Your cake is REALLY adorable!!! But I cannot help but wonder if it’s just quicker and less of a hassle to cut the gum paste by hand. The “stencils” can be made from any cartridge. You won’t need any mats, the gum paste can be rolled to any thickness and no crisco needed to keep gumpaste secure to cut. Also, no extra “freezing” time, re-rolling to thinner consistency or trimming to fit in machine. It just seems like a lot of EXTRA steps to use a machine that should be saving you time!!! I’ll stick to the old method and cut by hand.

As for cutting out cookie dough, the dough seems like it has to be very thin for the Cricut to cut. This will create fragile cookies.

I guess I’ll just wait for Provocraft to come out with a “revised” version of the Cricut cake that is more consumer friendly.

5. jkinney April 6, 2011 at 9:51 am #

to Karen: Yes the dough needs to be thin enough to clear the rollers but they were not as fragile as you might think. I took them to demos every week by repacking in my box and they held up for about 4 weeks of packing and repacking and they were delicious! Maybe I can find the cookie recipe and send it to you to try.

6. Deb McB April 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

What I love about the Sew Easy is that designs can easily be made for kids to sew. They can do the ABCs, 123s, their name, etc. Great product!!