What is CHA anyway?

Those of us who have been around the crafting block for a while know that the Craft & Hobby Association’s Winter Conference and Trade Show is full of magic and sparkles, but for the new readers among us, here’s a quick overview.
CHA (pronounced C-H-A, each letter, not CHA, like cha-cha-cha) is like the Prom for craft manufacturers. Held twice a year, the Winter Show is the THE place to be for buyers for retail chains, independent craft stores, and media looking for the newest, coolest stuff in crafting. Manufacturers bring out their latest and greatest, the buyers order it, and in a few weeks’ (okay, sometimes months’) time, you, the consumer, can find it on your favorite stores’ shelves. And we here at Craft Critique get to report on it all!
The show isn’t just about what’s new, it’s also about what’s happening in the world of craft. There are tons of educational opportunities, workshops, and classes available. Add that to the speakers and other crafting rockstars who frequent the show floor, and we’re all in for a real learning experience.
Craft Critique is proud be among the media who report directly from the show; as we see it, you’ll see it. New tools, trends, and techniques… we walk the show floor all day, and then write about it all night.
Once the show starts on January 29th, hold on to your hats; we’ll be reporting all the best stuff for you to drool over.To follow along with all the news from the show floor “like” us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and even follow our new Pinterest Pin board.

Leave us a comment and let us know what *YOU* want us to report on: favorite manufacturers, product lines, anything you’ve heard about through the grapevine and want a closer look at.
horizontal-line

The following two tabs change content below.

Dana Vitek

Dana Vitek is a craft-‐‑supply hoarder with an obscenely understanding husband. She works full-‐‑time as a geologist, and spends her free time sort of paying attention to her two kids, reading a lot, and crafting. She's a crocheter, but not a knitter because knitting seems way too complicated. She's a card maker, but usually only 10 minutes before a birthday party. She cusses at her sewing machine. She has at least 12 different types of glue, but can never find the scissors she wants when she wants them. Dana started writing and editing for Craft Critique in 2008. She is perhaps best known for her Mother of All Black Ink Tests, and her annual April Fool's posts. She blogs extremely irregularly at Stamping Science. http://stampingscience.blogspot.com

Latest posts by Dana Vitek (see all)

15 Responses to What is CHA anyway?

1. Scrapycandy January 13, 2011 at 11:33 am #

I want to hear all about Making Memories and their big announcement! (heard from the grapevine)

2. Tamikko January 13, 2011 at 11:53 am #

Unfortunately I haven’t heard anything but want to know about everything. Anything is good 🙂 Video’s, pictures, info. Love it all 😀

3. ——>Katie Bolinger January 13, 2011 at 11:58 am #

I learned this past weekend that you can’t say CHA to none crafters, especially in Chicago – they will think you are talking about the Chicago Housing Authority – completely different vibe.

4. java diva January 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

I’m interested in yarns and Girl Paperie and Shimmerz and Glitz designs, I’ll stop now!

5. Donna January 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

If you have to ask the answer is EVERYTHING! LOL! Want to see Spellbinders, Tim Holtz and all the goodies for scrapping and paper crafts!

6. Shirley Fread January 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

I’m interested in everything Tim Holtz and everything Spellbinders.

7. Love to scrap Lyndra January 13, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

I want to hear about Provo Craft, Tim Holtz, Making Memories, Stickles, Glimmer Mist to name a few.

8. Jan Castle January 14, 2011 at 1:09 am #

Have some great new dies and embossing plates I got from ‘Cheery Lynn Designs’ aka Dies Direct….and understand they are coming out with some unique dies at CHA…can’t wait to see them!

9. Erica January 14, 2011 at 1:45 am #

Thanks for letting me know about what CHA is about. I used to think it was just a scrapbooking convention…NOT! I’d like to hear about dies along the lines of Spellbinders, but perhaps less expensive, and also any innovative new punches. Also, now & then I run across machines you can use to make your own stamps. If any of the companies that do this are there, could you run some videos for us and may critique it too.

10. Dee in N.H. January 15, 2011 at 11:08 am #

I can’t wait to see CHA from your prospective! We need photos! and interviews with the rockstars if possible!

11. KathyinMN January 15, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

So you’re on the floor, right? What’s the products getting the most buzz? Because sometimes those products don’t make it to my local store-so what are the items everyone is talking about?

12. Rose January 22, 2012 at 11:14 am #

I want to see lot’s of pictures of what’s ‘hot’

13. Lysa January 26, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

I want to hear EVERYTHING! and SEE it too! Please make some vids for us who can’t attend. I love to see product demos of new tools. Just seeing how they manufacturers decorate their booths is fun too. If this was the wizard of oz and I was Dorothy, I’d be clicking those red shoes and chanting “There’s no place like CHA … There’s no place like CHA!” Have a great and safe trip to Cali.

14. StacyC January 28, 2012 at 12:39 am #

Everything and anything…. Live shots, photos, every nook & cranny….

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Here I am at CHA. - Mod Podge Rocks - January 21, 2013

[…] everyone! I’m here at the CHA trade show in Los Angeles.  I had to do the full-length pose for […]