Sticky Sticks, which debuted at CHA Winter 2013, are a product invented by a mother that needed this exact item when she was creating visual aids for teaching children. I was excited to try them because I love doing craft projects with my young daughter (she is almost two and a half). When this package of 25 Sticky Sticks arrived I was a little stumped about which project to start with. So I checked the Sticky Sticks project ideas page and followed the very simple instructions – peel the paper adhesive backing and stick.
I liked the idea of making a mask. But I quickly realized that it would be more of a project that I do quickly and she can play with after. This cat mask used really simple supplies and was completed in less than 10 minutes.
My daughter loved looking through the mask and even posed for a quick photo shoot. She also enjoyed waving it around like a fan and chasing the dog with it. After she went to sleep that night I tested the adhesive strength. I pulled pretty hard, and that Sticky Stick wasn’t going anywhere without ripping the paper mask.
The idea page also suggested making a ribbon wand. This was even quicker than the mask – completed in 1 minute (after gathering supplies). I found that curling ribbon stuck the best and stayed curly for better twirling.
This project also had a lot of good play time. And since then I have brought it with me on occasions when I need my daughter to entertain herself for a few minutes.
- Very sticky, permanent adhesive
- No need for liquid glue or waiting for drying time
- Would make mass producing certain projects very quick and easy (like ribbon wands for a birthday party, fans/programs for a wedding, or teaching aids)
- Limited uses
- Better for making crafts for small children, as opposed to making crafts with small children
- Cost is a bit too high to let kids craft on their own and use as many as they see fit (would use way too many)
Sticky Sticks are available at these stores and retail for $3.50 to $5.00 for a package of 25. Each Sticky Stick measures approximately 0.75″ wide by 6.75″ long.