Welcome to the Craft Your Stash Blog Hop on Craft Critique! We’re blog hopping to celebrate the launch of my friend Lisa Fulmer’s new book, Craft Your Stash: Transforming Craft Closet Treasures into Gifts, Home Décor & More!
Craft Your Stash is all about, well, crafting your stash – digging into the unused piles and turning them into something useful (and beautiful).
On page 78, there is a fun fat quarter project called “Easy-Sew Fabric Gift Bags”.
I am obsessed with fat quarters and projects for them so I have loads of fat quarters laying around. Although Lisa and I are going to have to have a little talk about my treasured horde of fat quarters being called “stash”. They aren’t stash. They just haven’t found the right project yet!
I decided that with the holidays coming up fast that what would be more timely than some Christmas bags?
To make the pictured assortment required five fat quarters, with two of the fat quarters being the same to make the large green bag. You can make the four bags from four fat quarters if you don’t mind the two small bags being the same fabric.
Different styles of ties can really change the look of the bags:
- Pinking shears are a great tool for this project. Clipping your fabric edges after sewing them will help keep them from fraying so they stay neater while being used and the bags will last longer.
- For really durable bags (and a more elegant look), consider assembling the bag using french seams that hide the raw edges completely. I did this on the small black bag and it really stepped it up. This would be a great extra touch for a really formal gift or event.
- Be careful about fabric design direction when selecting fabric. If a design is directional, make sure it will be upright after you cut and fold the fabric in the direction called for in the instructions for the size bag you are making.
You can also win a copy of the book to play with yourself (and other great prizes) by entering the drawing using the widget embedded below!
Latest posts by Nancy Nally (see all)
- Graphic 45 Little Women Giveaway Winner! - May 17, 2018
- National Scrapbook Day Giveaway – Win Graphic 45 Little Women! - May 5, 2018
- Review | Polaroid Zip Mobile Printer with Zink Technology - October 19, 2017