Out with the old, in with the new!

Reported by Heidi Kingery

When I tell people I have a Fiskars paper trimmer, sometimes I get a look of sympathy. Oh, you have one of THOSE. Yes, I do, and yes, sometimes it is extremely aggravating. However, I have kept it by my side for years and years, not switching to any other brand.

Recently, when I went to Hobby Lobby to buy a new pack of blades (for the millionth time) they were all sold out and beside the empty space was a *New and Improved* Fiskars 12″ cutter. Let’s see, go somewhere else for new blades or just use my 40% off coupon and buy the new cutter praying it might work better. I didn’t have to think long about that one. Into my cart it went, along with clearanced BasicGrey Dasher paper and a variety of self adhesive rhinestones for some reason I just had to have! That’s a whole other subject though. Anyway, I was ready to get home and try it out.

Once I got it out of the package I realized just how different it was from the old one and just how much I was going to have to get used to it.

Here are the big differences:

Old– Measures paper 15″ horizontally
New– Measures 12″ horizontally

Old– Blade slider opens to the left.
New– Blade slider opens to the right (hard to get used to).

Old– Has ruler 1/3 and 2/3 of the way down the base.
New– Has ruler across the top and the bottom.

There are a few small differences like the size of the grip on the blades (the new one is easier to hold) and a lip on the top of the fold out ruler on the new one. And being a complete girl, the new one is cuter! I like the orange retro circles on it compared to the dull gray color of the old one. But let’s get to the real difference, the straightness of the cuts. The new one is better by far with cutting straight. Unless you push heavily to the right or the left you will end up with a perfect cut every time. It’s also a tiny bit heavier but still very light and extremely portable.

The older style retails for $24.40 on the Fiskars website and the newer one retails for $20.00. However, I found my newer one for $17.99 at Hobby Lobby and I used the coupon on top of that.

So, in the end I am happy they were out of the blades and I had to make a quick decision to invest in the new one. I’m going to assume the blades will need to be replaced as often as the older style also, which was for me abut every 4-6 weeks. If you have this cutter and you’d like to share your experience please leave a comment and tell us what you think!

, , , ,

8 Responses to Out with the old, in with the new!

Peggy January 15, 2008 at 10:08 am #

Thanks, Heidi, for a very informative post. I too have an oldie but goodie. As a matter of fact it is by far my favorite cutter but I am frustrated at times that it doesn’t cut an even edge. I will certainly buy the new version ASAP.

HUGS

simplyinspired January 15, 2008 at 1:02 pm #

That’s too funny. I just wrote a post on my blog about switching from your orange one to a larger rotary trimmer by fiskars b/c I always have trouble cutting straight with the orange one!

Scrapbook Mama January 15, 2008 at 2:39 pm #

Well I have new Friskers I’ve actually had it for a long time now. BUT I just got a MM trimmer and use that but when I have to cut Chipboard and I only use the heavy chipboard I find I go and get my Fiskers because it goes through my chipboard like water. SO it shall still have a little space on the bottom of my desk for when I need its help 🙂

ReneeK January 15, 2008 at 5:11 pm #

My “old gray mare” trimmer is still the one I grab first. I purchased this new orange one and didn’t like it at all, it did not cut straight for me and I took it back. I got the MM one, with a self-sharpening blade, for Christmas with and while it’s all right, it still doesn’t cut totally straight. I’m not into the rotary styles or guillotine stiles, probably because I’m left-handed and they are awkward. Guess my cards will just have to be a little “off!”

gabyalcantara January 15, 2008 at 7:25 pm #

I have the “new one” and I always have trouble cutting straight.

meanjean10 January 15, 2008 at 8:16 pm #

hmmm… just when I think I’ve found a solution to my trimmer search, there are challenges. I’ll have to test out the orange one. For $10 or so, it’s worth a try. Thanks for the details!
    Jean

Cathrine StClair January 15, 2008 at 10:56 pm #

I’m not sure I’m sold on the orange one – I don’t think it cuts much straighter than my old gray. and where they made the break in the ruler (where the arm swings out) drives me CRAZY! It seems I always want to measure in the space where you don’t have markings. But – I do love that this trimmer has markings on the other side of the blade for small cuts. So I use them both.

AJ January 16, 2008 at 11:22 pm #

thanks for the review~ I have the old one as well~ it’s ol’ reliable ya know~! I am curious about the new making memories trimmer….know anything about this one?? retails for 49.99 roughly…Curious if it is better than the fiskars…