Reported By Julie Fei-Fan Balzer
About a year ago, I wrote an article about my love/hate relationship with paper trimmers. You can read it here. A lovely woman named, Cheryl, read it and sent me a Fiskars Rotary Trimmer. She is one of the Fiskateers – a group of four women who host a website dedicated to Fiskars love. It’s a lovely community (I’m mostly a lurker there) and you should check it out if you get a chance. But, I digress….
I was thrilled when the trimmer arrived. I unwrapped it and immediately started to use it.
Photos kept slipping. The trimmer was bigger than I was used to. The measurement arm extender thing folded out from the top rather than the bottom. I just wasn’t happy.
But, a funny thing happened as I kept using it. That trimmer and I started to get along! And here’s why:
1. This is the first trimmer I’ve ever owned where you can actually see where you’re cutting! Seriously! It’s amazing. You drop a clear guard and the rotary blade cuts right at the guard’s edge. I love that.
2. I have never replaced the blade. One year and counting. It still cuts photos and paper cleanly.
3. The face of the trimmer has a grid – which makes lining paper and photos up straight super easy. The grid is on both sides of the blade, so cutting small pieces is very easy!
4. The trimmer has rubber feet that grip the table.
5. For those of you who are safety minded (little kids around, etc.), the trimmer has a lock which keeps the rotary blade and arm locked down.
My only gripes are:
1. I’m annoyed at where they put the break in the ruler (where the arm thing comes out). It is in a really inconvenient place (at 4.25″), but I’m not sure where else they could have put it
2. The trimmer cuts straight about 90% of the time. Part of it is user error. I often find that the photo or paper is stuck to the face of the trimmer and needs to be adjusted carefully. I’d like it to cut straight 100% of the time.
This is the same trimmer that Heidi reviewed on Tuesday and I think her side-by-side comparison to the old Fiskars trimmer is spot on. Like her, I would definitely recommend this trimmer to someone looking for a portable trimmer. It’s my go-to choice these days! My advice is to stick with it past your initial impression. I think it’s worth the wait.