Making Memories Tag Maker and Rims

Reported by Lauren Meader

The Making Memories Tag Maker sells at Michaels for $24.95. I saved $10 by using a 40% off coupon.

I wanted one of these for like 2 years! Finally I decided to splurge! Couldn’t let that coupon go to waste!I had been contemplating this tag maker forever. I didn’t know if it would be worth the price, but I am now SO happy I did. Prior to this purchase I would buy the pre-made tag from Stampin’ Up!

So that is how I worked my savings. I also got a package of the rims. There are 54 assorted tag rims, and 3 templates inside. It sells for $14.95. Now use a 40% off coupon and that’s a pretty cool deal.The tags I got are silver, pink, and blue way cool! That to me is already a plus. I get assorted metals, shapes AND sizes for $0.27 each! That is BEFORE using a 40% off coupon! Now, buy the rims with the coupon, that would then bring cost to only $0.16 each!

Now the other cool bonus for me- if you mess up your stamped image on a SU! tag you waste the tag! For this you can simply re-stamp the image BEFORE you make the tag yourself.So the cost for the Stamping Up! metal edge tags-12pk in two sizes, ONE type of shape and ONE metal per pkg for $4.95-that is $0.41 each tag. Not as good a variety, no choice of paper selection, only 2 types of “paper”, 3 metals and 2 shapes to choose from the entire assortment sold by SU! This doesn’t include shipping, and there is NEVER a 40% off coupon! If you mess it up, it’s a throw away.

The other cool plus to the tag maker is you can use colored cardstock, photos, vellum, patterned paper-whatever YOU decide. Plus as I said before the size and shape variety is far greater! You can use your Sharpie markers, or Copic markers to color the rims as well.

I also enjoy using the rims alone to hang from ribbon, or accent over an image.

Well, you may now want to know “HOW DOES IT WORK?” I thought the same thing! I was worried it would be difficult, or too long a process. I was told I could return it if I wasn’t happy!Here is ALL you do-

Step 1) Stamp and color your image. Or just use some designer paper. Anything you want!

Step 2 ) Place the template provided with the rims over your image. Trace the template outline onto your paper, then cut out the shape.

Step 3) Pop the image into your rim. Put the rim inside the tag maker, and gently squeeze handle. Tada! You now have a completed tag!Now attach it as desired. It’s really easy, fun and much more affordable. I’d love to hear what you think, or any questions you may have!

, ,

17 Responses to Making Memories Tag Maker and Rims

Peggy Maier February 2, 2008 at 9:58 am #

What a wonderful review, Lauren! I had also been looking at the tag maker, but since our nearest Michaels is over 2 hrs away, I don’t get coupons. However, our son gets them in the newspaper where he lives & has a Michaels too! I’m going to have him get one for me. Thanks for showing me how to alter the color of the rims & the different options with papers, etc. I think I would use this a lot!

Jenny February 2, 2008 at 2:30 pm #

one thing you left out… who makes those darling bird stamps? so cute!

Oh, you may have convinced me to get one of these tag makers. I avoided the SU ones for the very reasons you mentioned.

Debby February 2, 2008 at 2:32 pm #

Thanks for the refresher. Motivated me to get mine out and play with it. Love the idea of the hanging heart tag all by itself. Too cute!

Anonymous February 2, 2008 at 5:50 pm #

Lauren,
    Thanks for the mini tutorial on the tag maker. I have been looking at this for some time now – and thought that it was just another gadget that would not work. I hope that there is a coupon in tomorrows paper.
    Bev
    (Rette Mom)

Ashley February 2, 2008 at 6:19 pm #

I’ll sell someone my tag maker for cheap. I got it as a gift a year ago and used it once or twice. I don’t like how it bends some of the tags in certain places.

Scrapbook Mama February 2, 2008 at 8:25 pm #

OHHHHH GOSH another tool I am gonna have to get! I’m yet to use tags on my cards (newbie stamper you can say.) BUT OF COURSE I want it now!! OHHH Lauren lovving it!

-Ellie

Anonymous February 2, 2008 at 8:54 pm #

Wow, this looks way cool 😉 I’ve never noticed this at Michaels but now I’m going to have to check it out. I really love how you hung the heart rim on the card – I am thinking Valentine for my hubby!!

Alison

Anonymous February 3, 2008 at 3:17 am #

Just an FYI, you don’t need to tool to use the tags.

I bought the tags and they come with the template for cutting out the shape. I cut out my shape, pop it into the tag and then use a popcicle stick to push the edges down. Works like a dream and I didn’t have to buy the tool

frog February 3, 2008 at 9:01 am #

I love using these tags too. I didn’t buy the Tag Maker though. I squish the rims down with a large wooden stamp. Works a treat!

Lauren (mytime) February 3, 2008 at 12:04 pm #

Thanks everyone for the laternate ideas for using the tags without the maker! That is pretty cool!!!

Jenny I tried to find you to let you know that C.C. Designs makes all the stamps I used in the projects.

dasimonds February 3, 2008 at 12:33 pm #

Thanks Lauren for all this info..
    I have thought about buying the Tag Maker but was not sure if it would be worth it. I guess I might check it out again…
    With a coupon of course!!

Dee

Jean February 3, 2008 at 12:33 pm #

They even make punches to fit teh tag shape and heart – no template needed!
    Jean

Shivani February 13, 2008 at 5:55 am #

Wow..I love this card..& wuld love to have it in my mail

jayne February 18, 2008 at 7:50 am #

Thanks for the tutorial, I just purchased 3 of these at my local JoAnnes for $2.97 each!!No joke! I also purchased the extra packages of tags for .35 cents each. Am giving one to my mom and a friend. Might want to check JoAnnes out! Also purchased 2 Chizzel-It sets for $1.97 each and got the refill tips for .25 cents each. If they only last a month or too at that price it’s ok.

Anonymous February 21, 2008 at 2:53 am #

My daughter who’s name is Jayne just posted a message, is a very smart shopper I am very proud of her because she saves many dollars in everything she purchases because she shops wisely.. I have never known anyone that can beat her in shopping and I mean everything she knows her prices and stores where to buy them cheaper then anybody else around!!!
    Keep up the good work Jayne.

joni January 30, 2009 at 3:10 pm #

I just got mine out but can’t seem to get either the paper in the rim (after cutting it from the paper using the template)or the tool is not mashing the edges enough to keep the paper in the rim. Not sure, but disapointed. Anybody have any suggestions? I’m about to go to the wood stamp or popsicle stick.

Cheryl March 14, 2009 at 3:32 pm #

I just got my tag maker and I love it. To the poster above, my tags weren’t being crimped enough until I thought to let the tag slide all the way back in the slot before I crimped. The closer the tag is to the opening in the tool the less it crimps.