Sew Crafty Mini

Reported by Heidi Kingery

I’m sure several of you are familiar with roaming the isles of your favorite craft stores even though you have seen everything they have to offer. You think, well, maybe they will have something new this week! Often times, that’s not the case (at least for me) but every once in a while you peek around just the right corner! Well, a few weeks ago, that was what happened to me. There were 5 little boxes on the very top shelf of a back end cap (talk about treasure hunting). I got on my tippy toes and pulled down this cute looking mini sewing machine. It’s called Sew Crafty Mini and is made by Provo Craft. The first thing I always look for is the price, $9.99. I had a 40% coupon to burn, so into my cart it went. I know that it might not be as easily available to some of you so can also find this at Scrapbook Supercenter, Ritz Camera, and Scrapbooks.com.

When I opened the box and pulled the machine out, the first thing I did was notice the piece of material that was under the needle along with a warning label reminding you to remove items carefully:

The next thing I did was put in 4 AA batteries. I sewed a little on the piece of material before pulling it out and it seemed to work really well. However, they were thin pieces.

The directions were detailed and also included several ways to form knots. There was also a ‘Quick Start Guide’ with step by step pictures included as well as a troubleshooting section. In my opinion they didn’t lack in guiding me through the process.

Now, it was my turn to try it out. Since it was already threaded, the process started quickly. I placed my project under the needle, lowered the presser foot, and pushed in the power button (there is no petal since it is a ‘mini’). You can press the button in slightly so all you have to do is let your finger off to stop, or you can press it completely in so you have both hands to guide what you’re working on. Both options are the same speed, the latter just lets you sew with a ‘hands free’ option.

Here are my samples using this machine. In both cases I was sewing through 2 sheets of heavyweight paper and didn’t have a problem at all.

{Stamps by Sassafrass Lass}
{Stamps by smARTworks}

Included in the box also were 2 extra bobbins (one with white thread and one with black), an extra needle, a threader, and bobbin thread rod. If you’d like more of a selection, Provo Craft also makes a 25 pack of threaded bobbins in various colors, including extra needles in the pack. Although I have not tested it, the separate pack of bobbins look just like ones that go into a regular sewing machine. Therefore, if you have bobbins threaded already for your regular machine, those should work on this as well.

Pros

• Less than $10
  • Small and lightweight
  • Option of cord or batteries

Cons

• Only does straight stitch
  • Doesn’t work great with material
  • Can only stitch 2 inches into paper
  • No light

In the end, I can’t say that I am ‘impressed’ with this product, but I don’t regret buying it either. It’s nice to have handy if I am just wanting a straight stitch and changing the bobbin is quick and easy. If something goes horribly wrong with this machine I can throw it in the trash without cringing. After all, I spend more at a trip to McDonald’s than I did on this.

What do you think? Do you have this machine? Please share your experience!

, , ,

16 Responses to Sew Crafty Mini

Scrapbookmama April 28, 2008 at 12:24 pm #

Well thank goodness I got this off a clearance table at M’s and it only cost me 4.99 cause let me tell you that little machine.. hmm wow your lucky it went through paper for you.. I was bothered and tired when I was done with it.. hmmm lol.. So off it went as I made a 3 pt. shoot into the trash with it! 🙂 lol lol

-Ellie

Anonymous April 28, 2008 at 1:41 pm #

I was less than impressed with this machine. I’m rather a neat-freak and this drove me crazy trying to get a straight line. I still have it but it’s now a dust collector. I keep thinking maybe I was just tired when I tried it out…just maybe it’s gotten better??? Doubt it…

Greta Adams April 28, 2008 at 1:48 pm #

yes i have it and i think it isn’t worth 2.00.. i threw it in the garbage!!

Nevis April 28, 2008 at 3:09 pm #

I looooove, loooove, LOOOVE those owl stamps. I must get those…

scrappin{jewlz} April 28, 2008 at 9:32 pm #

I have this little sewing machine too… and use it as a paperweight. As far as a sewing machine? Not even close. Doesn’t stitch, doesn’t stay threaded, doesn’t go though paper. I tried new bobbins, and new thread – no luck.

Piece of junk, in my opinion.

Heidi April 29, 2008 at 3:58 am #

Obviously this little machine is a hit or miss (mostly miss from the response) and I feel lucky to have gotten one of the ones that actually works! We greatly appreciate all of your opinions and want to make sure people know the ups and downs of a product before they spend their money on it. Keep up the honesty gals!

Beth M April 29, 2008 at 8:41 am #

I have one and my only complaint is the presser foot leaves lines on my paper when I sew.

Heather April 29, 2008 at 1:16 pm #

I paid $5 for mine and it is difficult to work with but I used it enough to get $5 out of it. Would I recommend it? Not likely!

Penny Smith April 29, 2008 at 1:19 pm #

This thing is horrible! It is a nightmare to have at our store-and we stopped carrying these too!

I would rather suggest people get a smaller and simple regular machine-and one that has zig zag and other basic favorites of scrapbookers.

Janine April 30, 2008 at 7:55 am #

I hated mine. I got it with a coupon, so at least I wasn’t out the big bucks, but it was still $6 I wasted.

First, the button to run the machine gets stuck in on mine so that I was always desperately trying to unstick it in time to stop the machine where I wanted it to stop.

And while the way it’s set up makes it look just like a big machine, it really does not work well if you are right handed, since you have to feed the fabric/cardstock in with your left hand and work the button with your right. Far easier to reverse that so that right handed dominant people could manipulate the cardstock easier. Nice for lefties though. On a bigger machine this doesn’t apply since you have both hands free to work with the fabric or cardstock.

I also don’t like the look of the feed dogs (the pieces that move the cardstock/fabric through the machine.) They are very big and toothie and I could see them damaging more delicate materials.

I’d say save your money up and get a Janome SewMini instead.

Stacy April 30, 2008 at 11:18 am #

Mine never ever worked right. It is in the garbage too!

Dena April 30, 2008 at 11:19 am #

Had it, hated it, and threw it away LOL.
    I think it is one of the worst scrapbook purchases I have made to date, even with a 50% off coupon!

Alex April 30, 2008 at 5:35 pm #

I hate mine!!!!!!!!!!! lol I can’t get the blasted thing to work properly, or it works one minute and not the next etc. It also leaks oil!!!!!! whats up with that, lol

Anonymous May 7, 2011 at 10:00 am #

I have this little machine. I’ve used it once. Tried to change the thread on it and now it won’t pick up the bottom thread. 🙁 Not happy with it.

Anonymous July 28, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

I have one and sews, and q is q if I have not put the bottom line? and as I put it???

Susan Ernst December 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

how do you get the bobbin off that it came with in order to put a different one on? Thanks