Doodlebug Velvet Flock

Reported by Nancy Beyer

I have been waiting to get my hands on this flock ever since I heard about it from my friends who went to CHA this past spring.

What is Flock? You have seen it on many cards. It is part of the “touch and feel” type of texture embellishment that brings funness to a card or layout. For instance, I created an ATC card with my dog’s cartoon picture on it. If you do not know, I own a pug and the pugs are known for having VERY soft velvety types of ears. So when I created the cards, I took a Zig Glue Pen, filled in the areas I wanted flocked and poured the flock over those glueed areas to get that soft feel. What surprised the heck out of me ? It really looked like the real thing and felt like my dogs’s ears.

Again, always thinking I may be just overly biased about my dog and my crafting, I went to my neices and nephews and asked them to comment about the flocked ears on the card. They all exclaimed. “It really feels like your dogs ears! ” This made me really happy. My flock experient was a success! Also the flock stayed put during all the touching of the card. That made me extatic. I really like quality products and Doodlebug Velvet Flock definately is a quality product.

Dogs aside, you can use this for anything – however – I would recommend using this with stamped images on non-shiny paper. Say if you have a stamp with a baby chick on it – you could flock the image with a yellow underbelly and that really would bring a certain *pop* to the stamped chick.

Pros
  • Brings a very fun “touchy feely” type of element to a card
  • the colors are fantastic
  • very easy to use
  • goes on really well and delivers on it’s “velvet” name
  • You can use this with the Martha Stewart Tissue double sided tape and basically any good glue.

Here is a quick video I did to show just how easy it is to use flocking!

Cons
  • I want more colors! I can’t wait until the holiday colors come out.
  • This was REALLY hard to find. Only high end stores care this type of flock for some odd reason.
Speaking of, you can buy flock at CraftFancy online and in the new store that is opening up in the Chicagoland area. Gone Scrapping had the first flock that hit the stores. They are very quick in shipping items to you. When in doubt, go to the Doodlebug website to see if you can find a store or an online store you like.

Doodlebug has 12 flock colors. You can get the colors individually or you can get them in a 12 pack mini set. The cost runs $4.00 for the individual bottles and approximately $15.00 for the 12 pack mini bottle set.

Have you ever used flock? If so what do you think about it and this product? We would love to hear from you!

, , ,

9 Responses to Doodlebug Velvet Flock

Penny June 12, 2008 at 1:25 pm #

I saw this at my local Hobby Lobby this week. I’m thinking about using my 40% off coupon to get it. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous June 12, 2008 at 1:27 pm #

I love using flock. I love any NEW products and had to try it. Love how it makes it look 3D and so real. Just FYI – if any Canadians that read your blog want to purchase flock, go to Paperworks in Edmonton, AB. Peggy is fantastic to deal with and is also a SCS member.
    Sue R
    rarinstamp@shaw.ca

Katie Roberts June 12, 2008 at 2:01 pm #

I found out about flock this past holiday season. Better Homes and Gardens had a craft project using glue and flock on clear tree ornaments. (Use the glue to draw a pattern on the ornament, then dust with flock)

Once I ordered my flock (some craft store online) and opened my package, I fell in love immediately. After making the ornaments, I started to use it with cards. I used a flower stamp, glue, and flock to make poinsettia on holiday cards. Everyone loved them.

The only draw back is that it can be messy, should the fibers catch a wind. And sometimes it takes longer than I have patience for the glue to dry. The flock I have requires a few coats to get a really good puff, but worth the effect it gives. (I don’t know if any of the above is the case with Dooblebug’s flock)

I love the idea of using this material as “fur” on animals. I have Christmas colors for now, but look forward to expanding my options soon.

Debbie, June 14, 2008 at 2:20 am #

Cat sells it in her store: http://www.catscraftcupboard.com/p-1284-fun-flock.aspx Lots of colors and $2.59 per bottle.

I saw the 12 pack of flocks at Memory Lane in Quakertown, PA. I should’ve bought it there because now I can’t find it here! Waaaaaaah!

java diva June 15, 2008 at 6:58 pm #

I was wondering how this is different from Stampendous’ flock? They offer many colors, too. TIA

Anonymous June 17, 2008 at 3:43 pm #

And can you tell me where I can get BAGS the pug? Not the stamp, your dog….. ok, so I wouldn’t really want to take **your** dog but I love pugs. (Oh, and I think the velvet flock sounds like a really cool fun thing to try too!!)

Nan and B.A.G.S. the pug June 23, 2008 at 9:04 pm #

THanks everyone for your responses! I am glad so many folks like flock! I still love it!

Anon asked where I got my dog BAGS. Please see my blog and I will give you the very long winded response. 🙂 Thanks again! Nan

Lolly July 4, 2008 at 9:08 am #

I am so excited to see this! I cannot wait to try it. Thanks for sharing the info with everyone!

Laura1943 July 4, 2008 at 11:20 am #

Cool demo !! Helped a lot….Now..on to buy some flocking !!Thanks !!