Sizzix Big Shot

Reported by Aida Haron

The Sizzix Big Shot Die Cut is a manually operated machine, designed and distributed by Ellison. The company website: Sizzix.com contains lots of information about the machine, the various die-cuts, and other compatible products. The Big Shot is attractive, with quirky vintage press looks in pink and black that would appeal to most of scrappers. With a basic purchase you will get two cutting pads and the multi-purpose platform.

The system’s base measures 14″ by 8″ with a height of 6 1/2″ which seems manageable for most crafters. It is heavy, which makes the Big Shot very stable as it moves or shifts only very slightly when the handle is cranked. Both left- and right-handed people are able to use it with ease. Its multi-purpose platform is also compatible with other dies like Sizzlits, QuicKutz and many other wafer thin dies such as Cuttlebug, Boss Kutz and
Spellbinders. With this bigger die cutting platform, you can use a few wafer die-cuts at one go, making it more efficient when cutting multiple alphabets.

I love tools and how their end product add that extra dimension to a layout or project but having everything out there is not practical! There are space constraints, costs and most importantly, the tool must be versatile enough to cover many uses and materials. Many crafters alternate between some form of paper art to sewing craft and a system that can produce items useful for both is worth its weight in gold!

Experiments using the dies have included materials like corrugated cardboard, plastic dust traps, burlap and foam sheets. As you can see below, the Big Shot Bigz Die cut heavy-duty transparency, Grungeboard, felt, and mounting board of any color you choose.

This is a felt pouch project using the Bigz Scallop Circle Die.

Pros :

• Easy to use, smooth cranking action
  • Cuts an amazing variety of materials
  • Fits in a limited craft space

Cons :

• Larger dies like the Bigz and Bigz XL are expensive
  • You may need to accumulate a variety of dies to make the Big Shot a useful enough purchase
  • The cutting plates feel flimsy

Prices vary from site to site, and with the holidays coming up you may find combo packages featuring Christmas dies. I encourage you to do some comparison shopping to find one that suits you best. These are a few US online places I rounded up: $108.99 Paper Dreams, $86.95 HSN, and $109.99 Sizzix Holiday pack.

I would rate the Big Shot a good purchase if you like projects and cards mixed in with fabric craft, or if you like using non-traditional scrapbook materials. Have you have tried the Big Shot? Let me know what you think! It would be very interesting to find out if you have used materials other than typical scrapbook products!

, , , ,

11 Responses to Sizzix Big Shot

Lisa Bohler November 18, 2008 at 8:47 am #

I think that it’s worth mentioning that this item is now available through Stampin’ Up! Demonstrators. http://www.stampinup.com

Allie November 18, 2008 at 9:37 am #

I love the Big Shot – I got mine via Stampin Up, and they have some great exclusive dies. I’ve also noticed you can use M’s 40% and 50% off coupons on the dies, which makes them more affordable.

I love my Big Shot!!! And the cute Dr.s bag it sits in.

Nevis November 18, 2008 at 10:23 am #

I do a lot of scrapping and I do not own a diecutting machine. I’ve been considering purchasing one…but have not decided upon which one.

Are you guys going to reveiw a “Slice”???! I really want to see a review of it.

Anonymous November 19, 2008 at 9:05 am #

I have the Big Shot and I like it. It is very easy to use and I also by the dies when I have a coupon or when they are on sale. I tend to buy basic shapes to use.

The reason I got a Big Shot is that my husband wanted to buy me something scrappy for Christmas. I might not have bought this myself (I already have a Sidekick) but it was a nice gift!

Anonymous November 30, 2008 at 4:02 pm #

it took me a while to decide which one i would buy; finally i chose the sizzix big shot, i use it with leather, felt, fabric, aluminium, adhesive backed vinyl,cork… it’s simply great !!!

Diana December 4, 2008 at 2:46 am #

I have the Cricut E, the regular Sizzix, the sidekick, the cuttlebug and the bigshot!! I use all of them, but I think the one I use more is the Big Shot, I love that I can cut other stuff (like felt, foamy, leather, fabric, aluminum, acetate, the clear cover some scrapbooking products like cricut cartridges comes in and more) sometimes the problem is that you want more dies! but if you own a couple of flowers, basic shapes and stuff that you REALLY want to cut in other materials (not paper) this is the best tool!! I love that I don’t have to open it (like the cuttlebug), conect and start (like the cricut) and that you can cut other type of materials (in the sidekick you can’t) and the bigger dies (original sizzix don’t work with them)

Thanks for the review and the opportunity to share our experiences!

Love,
    Diana

Anonymous July 10, 2009 at 11:52 pm #

Hi Aida,

I’m keen to buy a die cutting maching – probably the Big Shot after your glowing review – and was wondering where in Singapore can I purchase it? Or do I have to purchase online, and if so, any recommendations on which site?
    Thanks so much 🙂

Lauren July 12, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

Hi- I like the Cuttlebug mostly for embossing and the Big Shot to cut out the various things I have. I like the Big Shot because I can emboss if I can recall how the layers work with graphic up or down, and what side is the correct side of the paper. I like using Spellbinder dies as I can print my graphics from the computer of which I have too many to tell you, on paper and then run it through the Big Shot. I do not know where I purchased the Big Shot. It is a terrific machine.

PWorley July 12, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

I love the versatility of being able to cut all of the types of elements from fabric, vinyl, aluminum. It’s a great machine

Linda March 5, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

Hello and thanks for all the info on the Big Shot. I recently bought mine and have used it to cut cardstock and foil so far. I’m looking at the Oracal 651 adhesive backed vinyl sheets and wonder if the Big Shot will cut them without getting gummed up with the adhesive? If any of you know about the adhesive backed vinyl, please let me know your experience and if it is okay to use with the Big Shot. I realize I’ll have to cut down the larger sheets and hope it cuts with scissors.

Also, does it adhere to fabric? I bought a couple of large sizzix bigz storage boxes that are fabric covered wood and would like to decorate them with the vinyl, so need to know if adhesive will work on the fabric.

Thanks Much and happy cutting!!!

Linda

Sameenaaltaf January 16, 2014 at 2:41 am #

i would like to know were in singapore to buy a Bigshot machine.and how much it cost