Xyron Create-a-Sticker

Reported by Emilie Ahern

It was probably 4 or 5 years ago when I first stumbled upon a Xyron Create-a-Sticker 250 for sale in my local Wal*Mart. I bought it wondering how I would ever end up using it. Little did I know that I would soon find my life impossible to live without it. And not just for scrapbooking. I have used it for all kinds of crafts, some of which I will talk about in this article.

First let’s talk about what the Xyron Create-a-Sticker is. There are a few different models and the model number coincides the width of the sticker making option.

The Xyron 150 makes a sticker 1.5″ wide.

I own the Xyron 250, which means that the widest option for a sticker is 2.5″ wide.

Likewise, the Xyron 500 makes a sticker up to 5″ wide.

They all work in essentially the same manner. You put anything in the slot, face up. Pull it through either manually or by turning a crank, and when it comes out the underside is completely covered with an even layer of adhesive. This process is shown below. And yes, my husband is totally digging his sticker.

Now, let’s get to the fun part. What can you make with your Xyron Create-a-Sticker? The answer: anything. Here are just a few of my applications.

Adhere ribbon to projects. The primary way I use the smallest model is for applying ribbon to a layout or other project where you want the ribbon to lay completely flat. Before I got my Xyron I tried ribbon glue, which always bled through my sheer ribbons and was a sticky mess. I also tried regular adhesive runner tapes, which are too wide for some skinny ribbons and didn’t hold very well. Feeding your ribbon through the Xyron Create-a-Sticker makes it perfect every time.

Applying diecut alphabets. This machine is perfection for this task. After cutting out letters with my Cricut, I simply feed them through the Sticker Maker and they adhere perfectly. No trying to glue it, and no corners peel up. I used this method for the title in the following layout.

Stickers for children. When my daughter was potty training I scoured the store for just the right stickers to fill her reward chart with. She declined every suggestion I made and finally I said, Honey, what kind of sticker would you like? And she answered A sticker of me. I immediately went home, printed pictures of her face, cut them into small 1 inch squares and sent them through the Xyron. She was completely thrilled and was potty trained in a week flat.

Last month this same daughter, who is now almost 4, would not eat her potato. While she was sitting at the table regarding her potato with disgust I jumped up and found some quick clip-art and printed out a small picture of a cartoon potato, waving gleefully, and typed I ate my potato around it. I printed it out and made a sticker of it. The bribe worked like a charm. Once she finished her potato she got her sticker. Soon after, I made a compete set for future dinner table rejections. Including, but not limited to, I ate my carrots, I ate my peas and I ate my ham. My girlfriend begged for some for her picky eaters and declared this a million dollar idea.

Children’s crafts. Last year we had our annual Pumpkin Carving Party. This was the first year we would have many children present and I wanted to make activities for them to do. The problem was all of the kids were under 4 years old. I grabbed my sticker maker, sheets of black foam and orange favor bags. I cut 16 various eye shapes, 8 various mouth shapes and 8 various nose shapes. I then ran these shapes through the sticker maker by category. The each child got to decorate the front of their orange favor bag (which was filled with candy and small toys) with a customized Jack-O-Lantern face. When they were finished I stapled the bag closed with a green leaf and vine. It was a huge hit, and after that party 3 of the attending moms ran right out that day and bought themselves a Xyron.

I have also used it to put sticky onto the back of pre-cut foam craft kits that were not already backed with adhesive.

Applying glitter to chipboard and paper. This project is truly great. The Xyron can take any item up to the width of a nickel, so you can run chipboard through it with no problem. Run your chipboard shape through once right side down, then run it through wrong side down. You should now have a chipboard piece that is on the waxy paper and sticky on top. Simply shake the top with glitter and peel off like a sticker and adhere to project. Or, cover both sides with glitter and punch a hole in the top to make an ornament.

The Stats:

Xyron 150 Create-a-Sticker.
Available for purchase at craft stores as well as scrapbook.com and amazon.com
MSRP: Unit-$10.99 refills-$5.49

Xyron 250 Create-a-Sticker.
Available for purchase at craft stores as well as scrapbook.com and amazon.com
MSRP: Unit-$22.99 refills-$10.99

Xyron 500 Create-a-Sticker.
Available for purchase at craft stores as well as walmart.com and amazon.com
MSRP: Unit-$32.99 refills-$16.99

Pros:

• Many applications and uses.
  • Easy to use and install refills.
  • Fun and safe for kids participation.

Cons:

• Sometimes when creating stickers from die cut alphabets a web of adhesive remains in the cavities of the letters. I fix this by using a craft knife to swipe the edges.
  • The price in recent years has really jumped. I find the refills to last for a long time and I use mine heavily, but it still hurts me dropping $11 on a refill when I purchased my machine for $9.99 (it was 5 years ago though). Am I sounding really old? I remember when bread was a nickel!

I’m sure by now it’s obvious that I am completely smitten with this product. Have you ever tried it? Do you prefer sticker makers or just plain adhesive? If you have the Xyron 500, what do you use it for? I would love to know what you think!

, ,

17 Responses to Xyron Create-a-Sticker

1. Anne November 24, 2008 at 9:23 am #

My poor Xyrons have been languishing on the shelf generally pulled out a few times a year to add a magnetic backing or laminate something. I guess I have used them recently to add a magnetic backing to some Wallies so our van can look pretty as we drive down the road, though.

I think it’s time to give them a permanent location where I can see, and use, them everyday. Thanks for reminding me of the wonderful tools I have!

2. Christine November 24, 2008 at 12:47 pm #

I have the 150 and 510.

My 150 always sits out and ready to use on my scrapbook table. I recently replaced my pink one with a purple one because it got all gummed up with adhesive from trying to run too many “double sided” sticky diecuts through for glittering. I try and not let my youngest (8 and 9) tear their stickered items out of the xyron because they end up pulling out a long strip of unused adhesive out. There’s that trick to pulling it up and at an angle.

I’ve also made the mistake of buying the repositionable adhesive and hated it. The leftover webs of adhesive can also be a big pain with small diecuts.

My 510 I use for adhering my larger QK Revolution and Silhouette diecuts.

The refill price of the 510 really gets me. $29 at Michaels in Canada, so I wait until I have a coupon to purchase it. I’ve been tempted to try the laminating cartridges, but haven’t yet, mostly due to the price.

All in all, I LOVE my xyrons.

3. craftygurl November 24, 2008 at 12:49 pm #

I bought mine for like $3 a few yrs ago… Never really used it. Its been collecting dust ever since. Never thought of using it… thanks for the review… 🙂
    CraftyGurl

4. CMG November 24, 2008 at 2:39 pm #

I have the one that prints on 5″ paper. I love it but I hate the price of the refils, although if you buy them at Michael’s/AC Moore using the 50% coupons, it takes the sting out a little!

Is there any way to up leftover adhesive inside the machine? I made a mess at the start of a major project – the inside area, near the cutter is completely gummed up. I tried cleaning with q-tips, but it didn’t help much. I ended up having to make about 300 labels by rolling out the adhesive, removing the clear film and just sticking my paper onto the adhesive without using the machine. It worked and wasn’t too much of a pain but defintely easier and quicker just rolling it through the machine.

5. Jenny November 24, 2008 at 9:39 pm #

I can’t beleive all of the things you thought of making with your Xyron!
    I am going to buy one and try it out!

Thanks for the great review.
    You’re my fave reporter.

6. Michelle McGee November 24, 2008 at 11:39 pm #

$11 for a refill? You are getting ripped off!!! I just paid $4 for one yesterday!

7. Julia Stainton November 25, 2008 at 9:02 am #

Great article!! You’ve inspired me to dust mine off again!

8. Nevis November 25, 2008 at 9:46 am #

What a wonderful review! You’ve sold me! Now I need to buy one. Do you secretly work for Xyron?! LOL

9. Tammy November 25, 2008 at 10:15 am #

Since I am on the Xyron Design Team I of course LOVE LOVE LOVE my Xyron products. Seriously though I can’t scrap without them. I use them for ALL my projecgts. As for the price of the refills you are totally shopping at the wrong place if you are paying $11. I’m an I Remember When instructor and since IRW is owned by Xyron we get great prices on all Xyron products including the refills! That is one of the reasons I joined IRW!!!

10. Nora November 25, 2008 at 12:41 pm #

I’m a Xyron fanatic, too! I have the Cheetah 2″ AND 4″ runners, the 150, the 510, and the 900. I have no idea what I would do without them, because I use them constantly.

Best place for refills for ALL Xyron products that won’t cost you an arm & a leg — http://www.stickermaker.com
    They ship for a flat $5, regardless of order size!

11. Daria November 25, 2008 at 6:17 pm #

I have the little X, the 510 and the 900. I use them all.

They are great to adhere acetate or vellum without any adhesive showing. When I attach acetate, I put the background piece through the Xyron so that the top gets adhesive on it and then just place the acetate on that.

I have used them to make cards with strips of scraps. I put a piece of cardstock through the Xyron. Then I cut strips of scraps and adhere them to the adhesive side by side, sometimes with paper cord between the strips. Then I just trim away the overhang. I’ve made microscope ornaments with pieces of this.

I never buy a refill unless I have a coupon for it.

Thanks for the review.

12. Angie November 25, 2008 at 9:54 pm #

I have the Xyron 510, given to me as a gift. I like the sticker maker fine, but I found that I used the laminating option more. I used up my cartridge…and now I’m too cheep to buy another one…even on sale!

13. ashley d! November 27, 2008 at 9:07 pm #

i simply LOVE LOVE LOVE my xyron!! i have the X and i bought the 500 just yesterday. i used the X so much i figure the 500 would be a good investment.

i bought my 500 at walmart for $20!!!!! they were $28.99 online and $50 at hobby lobby. i couldn’t believe it! i was another reason i rushed off to buy it. such a great deal!

14. Ali November 29, 2008 at 2:53 pm #

LOVE my Xyron! Emilie you’ve prompted me to get it out and USE it more! TY- I am making mini- albums for the grandparents right now and this will be invaluable as a helpful tool. TY for reminding me that I had it. This is one of the BEST revierws I have ever read here!WOW! WTG!

15. merryheart2 November 30, 2008 at 7:44 am #

i have the Xyron 150. i use it every now and then, but i’m gonna set it out and use it more often. it does make putting down alphas much easier.

i’m making mini albums for Christmas gifts and this will definitely come in handy.
    Sandra

16. Alex S. December 1, 2008 at 2:59 pm #

You should buy your refills at Michael’s or JoAnn’s with a 40% coupon or Archiver’s with your 30% coupon. That way it doesn’t seem like that much!

17. Natalie December 21, 2008 at 12:41 am #

I love my Xyron 150 and 900. I do get annoyed at the sticky webbing leftovers. But you can avoid those by rubbing over your items well before removing the plastic top layer, even going so far as outlining the pieces with an embossing stylus.

I like using the Xyron to make sticky paper for use with my diecut machines–especially in my QK Silhouette digital diecutting machine. It allows you to cut the paper without a cutting mat!! You just adjust the blade pressure so that it does not slice through the Xyron backing.