Kreate-A-Lope Envelope Template

Reported by Kim Fox

I make lots of cards, and I send lots of cards, and than means that I use lots of envelopes. What I have not done is make lots of envelopes. Adding the Kreate-a-lope -a template to make envelopes- to my craft tool stash could change that. Or at least give me more options for my envelope inventory.

There are templates for so many things and why not envelopes?

I initially wanted to purchased this template so that I could make envelopes to match the cards that I make. The envelope template that I have is the A2: standard invitation envelope (4 3/8 x 5 5/8). It is super simple to use. And if you are really good, you do not have to use scissors. That’s because you can just tear the paper along the edge of the template. For my projects, I used my paper cutter to cut the paper to the size of the template. Once you get your paper sized, all you have to do is fold and then seal the edges. Additionally, the company sells Lick & Stick that you can use to seal the envelope flap. I just used my tape adhesive.

The instructions are included on the package. But if you are still unsure, you can check out a video tutorial for the Kreate-a-lope. One thing to be careful about is making sure your template does not slip as you begin to fold the edges. It might mean that the edges will not be aligned. As for folding the edges, you can also use a bone folder to crease the edges. I really like this template because you really can’t go wrong. Just take your time and it’s easy peasy.

The company makes templates in other sizes too including business envelopes, 6×6 and A7, which is the standard greeting card size.

Pros:

• You can use a variety of paper, including wrapping paper and cardstock
  • It’s plastic, so if you need to mark on it, you can
  • No scissors and no tracing
  • You can purchase Lick & Stick to seal the envelopes; this is good for cards that you make to sell or give as gifts
  • Could be a cost saver if you use lots of envelopes

Cons:

• Template is for one size only, if you want other sizes, you’ll have to pay for additional templates
  • In this economy, you may not want to spend the additional dollars on this item

I picked up my Kreate-a-lope at Pat Catans, a craft store in Ohio and Pennsylvania. It retails for $4.99. You can find it online at MakingFriends.com and Scrapbook Creations.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I give the Kreate-a-lope a 10 for its ease of use and affordability.

Have you used the Kreate-a-lope template? If so, what are your thoughts on this craft tool? Leave us a comment and let us know!

, , ,

14 Responses to Kreate-A-Lope Envelope Template

Karen Hanim December 5, 2008 at 10:46 am #

Love you critique. I have always thought making envelopes difficult but yours looks so good! You have changed my mind!

Etha December 5, 2008 at 11:48 am #

Oh thanks for the review, I HAVE this somewhere hidding in my craft room! thanks for the reminder to go unearth this, your envelopes look great!

Cindy December 5, 2008 at 11:57 am #

I’m glad I saw your critique. I bought a set of the templates from QVC some time ago and have never used them. This is a good reminder to dust them off and get busy. Thanks!

Jeanne December 5, 2008 at 2:22 pm #

I love this template. I did buy the whole package from QVC which includes four or five other templates. I make envelopes all the time now. It is a great way to use up all of that scrapbook paper that comes in a pack that you would never really use. I made an envelope out of “hay” paper and sent a cute little cowgirl card. Friends and family enjoy the envelope almost as much as the homemade card.

Thank you for sharing the tutorial.

whoistracy December 5, 2008 at 2:34 pm #

Great review Kim. I bought this template last year and LOVE it!

Anonymous December 5, 2008 at 2:44 pm #

I have alot of different sizes of the kreate-a-lope and I LOVE them! They are by far the best envelope templates I have ever used and I think I have used about all they make.
    Kathy

Debbie D December 5, 2008 at 5:16 pm #

I too bought the Kreate A Lope set from QVC some time ago and they still have it. You can make 12 different size envelopes and get the instructions and Lick and Stick glue for the envelope. It is called the Deluxe Kreate-A-Lope and sells for under 30. I love mine and use it to make special envelopes out of designer paper and have even used wallpaper from discontinued wallpaper books to make them.

Anonymous December 5, 2008 at 5:45 pm #

I have had the complete set for several years. I got mune from HSN or QVC, can’t remember which. I LOVE these templates! They are a life saver for odd sizes and are so easy to use. Sometimes I just want to use dp for an envelope to match my card.
    Karen

Radiogirl December 6, 2008 at 12:11 am #

Glad to know that everyone has had such a good experience w/this product. As I’ve said, it’s hard to go wrong. If you have it, you should certainly put it to use and using those large paper packs to make the envelopes would be good use too.

Jennifer Love December 7, 2008 at 12:21 am #

I’ve had the Kreate-A-Lope for a long while now but I’ve never used them because I wasn’t sure what paper to use and blah blah blah. I’m totally gonna get it out and make up some envelopes! (I have several sized ones, too! So dumb of me to keep buying envelopes!

Jessica December 10, 2008 at 11:59 am #

i’ve been making envelopes for years on my own and have needed a template to ease the process. Glad i caught this review! i’m big on matching envies, and think it adds an extra touch when you use something other than store-bought white or cream.
    A frugal tip: you can make your own envelope adhesive (for when you’re selling cards or giving them as gifts). Just do a search for “homemade envelope glue” and you get several results. You use gelatin, vinegar and a flavor, like vanilla or lemon extract. i’ve never made it, so i can’t lay claim to it’s pros and cons.

Linda Bandow December 10, 2008 at 4:25 pm #

This is great….I am faced with having made cards which are slightly too big for the A2 and the other envelopes I purchased are too big and make it look as though I just threw it all together. I will be trying at least one of their templates. Thanks for the review. Has anyone tried the templates from Green Sneakers???

Anonymous December 12, 2008 at 2:16 am #

FYI — the templates from Green Sneakers and Kreate-a-Lope are the same. I bought the QVC set then ordered an extra size not included from Green Sneakers. I hate making envelopes and these templates make it easy enough for me to overcome that. I trace the outline and use an acrylic ruler and rotary cutter to cut multiples from inexpensive drawing paper then sit in front of the TV with the stack of blanks, folding and gluing. I put a little repositionable adhesive on the center insert so it doesn’t move around. I make several dozen envies at a time just so I don’t have to do it often. Wouldn’t trade these templates.

Makaren

Conniecrafter December 22, 2008 at 11:03 am #

I have bought two sets of these from QVC now, I use them everytime and just love it, when I buy paper packs there are always ones that I don’t want to use on my cards so that is what I make my envelopes out of, also have used old calendars there are so many cute scenes, everybody comments on my neat envelopes!