Wilton Dimensions Large Cupcake Pan

Reported by Heather Voinski

When I was looking around a local craft store, I found this pan and knew I had to have it. I love cupcakes!! (Whewww….I just had to get that out of the way.) The Wilton Dimensions Large Cupcake Pan creates a 3D cake measuring approximately 7 1/4 inches tall and 7 1/2 inches wide!! It is made out of cast aluminum and has a non-stick surface for easy release and cleanup. The package states that after baking you assemble the two halves with a thin layer of icing and decorate. Who could resist right?

The packaging for the pan comes with a recipe for a Double Chocolate Cake. I started out using a box mix instead only because it was for Christmas and I had a cute funfetti mix on hand.

The packaging states that if you are using a box mix that your cake will come out smaller. It has a 10 cup capacity and my box mix measured 8 cups.

Once I washed the pan, I sprayed it with non stick cooking spray. I made my cake according to the box and split it evenly between the two half’s. 40 minutes later I pulled it out of the oven to cool. According to the directions on the packaging, it says to let it completely cool in the pan before removing. I did just that and then removed it to a wire rack.

I was surprised to find it did release easily from the pan. In the past, I have never had a specialty pan like this one release in one piece. In the past there was always something left behind that I had to piece together with icing, but not with this one.

After cooling, I turned my cake pieces over to assemble them. The two pieces has a dome top to them, so I had to use a knife and trim the excess cake off so that they were flat. This was easy enough for me to do. I put a layer of icing on top of the bottom portion and added the top to assembled my large cupcake. I added icing and sprinkles to mine and was done.

I’m no cake decorator, but I was happy with the results! It was as adorable addition to our Christmas dessert until we cut it. I say until we cut it because we had a little surprise when we did. It did not cook evenly. The top half was fine, but the bottom was gooey in the center towards the top. There was nothing about this in the packaging.

We were really bummed out about the cake at Christmas, but it didn’t stop me from wanting to get it right (it’s the cupcake addiction my friends). I made a second one for a New Year’s party and the second time around I put the pan in the oven at a different angle. This time I put the top half of the cupcake towards the front of my oven instead of side to side.

The second time around, we found the cake to be cooked completely and we all enjoyed every last bit of it! I’ve included a few more pictures from the Wilton Website below as examples for this cake. Like I said, I am no cake decorator!

Pros:

• Easy release
  • Easy cleanup
  • Can be decorated in lots of ways for lots of occasions

Cons:

• Bakes unevenly. It takes a few attempts at making it, to get it to come out right.
  • Smaller size cake when using a box cake mix

The MSRP for this pan is $30.99 on Wilton.com. You can also find it online at Amazon.com, and Target.com. The best price I saw was at Amazon. For those who don’t like to shop online, you can also get it at local craft stores. The stores near me, Michael’s, AC Moore, and Joanne’s all carry it and you might be able to use a coupon on it there to get it for a even better price!

Has anyone else used this pan and had these results? Do you have any tips you can share with us? We would love to hear your Pros and Cons to this product! I can tell you, that I still plan on using the pan in the future but I will remember to have a back up cake plan just in case!!

, , , ,

9 Responses to Wilton Dimensions Large Cupcake Pan

Angie P January 6, 2009 at 8:38 am #

I am dying to have this pan…it was on my christmas list. thanks for the review and info…good to know before trying the first time!

Dana (*danavee*) January 6, 2009 at 10:33 am #

Well, that seals it… now I HAVE to have this pan! Thanks for such a great review!

Lynn Mercurio January 6, 2009 at 11:49 am #

OMGosh..is this not the MOST clever thing ever! I’m not a big frosting lover so this really is ideal!

jess January 6, 2009 at 2:28 pm #

I think it looks really cute, but isn’t the cake to frosting ratio thrown off? I don’t know if I’m willing to sacrifice adequate frosting for the sake of cuteness.

~wenhether~ January 6, 2009 at 3:47 pm #

LOL…I love reading the comments.

I myself am not really an icing kind if girl so this is ideal for me. I can see how this would upset others so I suggest icing the bottom portion too if you are a icing lover.

Heather

Sarah Moore January 6, 2009 at 8:29 pm #

YUM! I would probably add another icing layer in the middle… or perhaps TWO layers… you could slice the base in 1/2 too! Great job!

Nancy January 6, 2009 at 9:43 pm #

I got this for my birthday and have only used it once… and loved it!!! I made two cake mixes and in addition to the two halves of the cake (fill each side 2/3s full), I got a bunch of regular cupcakes too.

I also didn’t take a chance as every character pan I’ve ever tried has always left chunks of cake when trying to get it out… I bought something called “Wilton Cake Release” at Michaels and used that instead of cooking spray.

lizacreates January 8, 2009 at 3:22 pm #

Hello,

As an experienced baker (and eater of baked goods as my hips will attest) I have a few suggestions for those who’ll be purchasing this pan:

If you’re baking a huge amount of batter (in this case, 8-10 cups) in only one pan, it is essential that the center have a hollow cone for even distribution of heat. The absence of this in this Wilton pan is the reason the end product is hit or miss.

If you think about it for a minute, home made cakes of a heavier/thicker consistency are usually baked in a bundt pan where there’s a hollow center, ensuring that the center is cooked as well. Even angel food cake batter, which is of lighter consistency, is baked in tube pans, again with the hollow center.

The only time this won’t be a problem is if the batter is baked in two shallow separate cake pans. But, of course, in this case, the pan base itself is only one tall piece.

I would recommend a simple trick: Take an empty tin can without the label (a standard soup can would be good) and put it in the center of the pan before you pour your batter. Make sure to coat the can exterior with non-stick spray. This will ensure that the heat distribution is even and your cake will bake all throughout.

Re non-stick spray, I highly recommend Baker’s Joy. Unlike other sprays, BJ is fool-proof. I own tons of baking pans of all sizes, types, etc. and not once have I had a problem getting the finished cake out of the pan.

Hope these tips help. Happy baking!

Anonymous March 28, 2009 at 3:32 pm #

Love this pan.. One problem! Did Wilton think about a box for this pan? A (Window)view would be great.Come on WILTON! Let’s get it together.We need a box to fit this cake for transport.