Rock-A-Blocks Stamp Mounting System

Reported by: Julie Campbell

Today, I would like to talk about one of the newest tools that has hit the shelves in the stamping market – the ‘Rock-A-Block’ stamp mounting system by Crafter’s Companion. I decided to purchase these blocks a few weeks ago after becoming frustrated when I was unable to get a nice, crisp stamped image using an acrylic block. I was wasting a lot of time and money, and no matter what technique I tried, my image came out looking like this:
The second image is what resulted after replacing my acrylic block for a Rock-A-Block. I used the same stamp, ink, paper, and stamping surface. I think the result speaks for itself!
You may think that all stamping blocks are the same, but there are quite a few features that make Rock-A-Blocks very innovative. The Rock-A-Blocks come in a package of four.

• Extra large block – measures approx. 6″L x 4″W
  • Large block – measures approx. 6″L x 1-1/4″W
  • Medium block – measures approx. 4″L x 3″W
  • Small block – measures approx. 1-1/2″L x 1″W

As soon as you pick one of these blocks up, you will notice how light they are! I weighed an acrylic block and a Rock-A-Block of the same size, just to give you an idea of what I mean. The acrylic block was 4 oz. & the Rock-A-Block was 1.5 oz.

To help you center your stamp, guidelines are etched vertically and horizontally on the top of the block. The blocks are curved and you’ll notice that there are raised ‘gutters’ on the right and left of the block. These gutters help to eliminate those extra ink marks that sometimes get stamped onto our projects if any ink gets on the surrounding rubber. Only the raised, inked image can touch your paper. (To better understand what I’m trying to explain, you can watch this video.)

To stamp your image, simply place your stamp onto the curved block surface. Any clear stamp or unmounted rubber stamp can work with this stamp system. The stamps will cling and hold tightly in place until you pull them off. Just hold on to the sides of the block and rock the stamped image onto your paper. Make sure you only make one pass. Rocking back and forth will make a blurry, double image. The design of the block helps keep an even pressure so that all of the ink is distributed evenly.

I think this product would be especially helpful for those who have limited wrist movement or hand strength. The block is so light, and the rocking motion eliminates the need to press firmly to get an even stamped image.

Stamps by: Papertrey Ink

I think that Rock-A-Blocks are great tools to add to your stamping collection. I will definitely turn to these when I’m using a detailed image or when I’m stamping onto expensive paper. I’ll still use my straight acrylic blocks when I need a perfectly aligned sentiment or when I use a stamp positioning tool. The Rock-A-Blocks just aren’t as easy to use when it comes to precise placement, and the shape of the block isn’t compatible with tools such as the Stamp-a-ma-jig.

Pros:

• Kit comes with multiple sizes of blocks and works with almost any size of stamp.
  • Blocks are light weight and do not require much pressure when used, making it perfect for those with arthritis or limited strength.
  • Blocks make clear, even images – eliminating paper waste.
  • “Gutters” help eliminate ink marks outside of your stamped image due to over-inking.

Cons:

• Rocking motion makes precise stamp placement difficult.
  • The shape of the blocks make them incompatible with stamp positioning tools (such as the Stamp-a-ma-jig).

The Rock-A-Blocks stamp mounting system retails for $19.95. I purchased mine from All That Scraps, but it can also be found in the following online stores: Papertrey Ink, the HSN, & Stamping Bella (for you Canadians).

Have you tried the new Rock-a-Blocks? If so, I’d love to hear what you think about them! Leave us a comment and let us know!

The following two tabs change content below.
CC Contributor

CC Contributor

Craft Critique is delighted to welcome a variety of talented industry professionals as contributors to share their expertise with our readers.

, , , ,

10 Responses to Rock-A-Blocks Stamp Mounting System

Doramiyi February 27, 2009 at 11:29 am #

Thanks for the post. I saw the Rock-a-Blocks on someone else’s blog and have been on the fence about trying them out.

But after reading your post, I think I’ll give it a try. Thanks much.

doramiyi
    doramiyi@gmail.com
    -CANADA-

Ashley C. Newell February 27, 2009 at 11:41 am #

Thanks for this great review! I’ve always wanted to know if they were worth the purchase!

Donna February 27, 2009 at 7:55 pm #

Do they work with all thicknesses of clear stamps? Do they work with EZ mounted rubber stamps?

Rene February 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm #

These remind me of the QuicKutz “QuickStampz” that are clear, lightweight and rock. You can make QK die cut images into a stamp that you apply to the rocker. http://quickutz.com/qk2/viewItems.aspx?cc=171
    I’ve made many of my own QK stamps using their rockers and loved the results. Now I just need to see if my acrylic stamps will stick to it. Thanks!

Janis L Ussery February 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm #

I have had these blocks since October 08. I absolutely love these. I can place my stamps (acrylic and rubber -thick and thin) on the blocks and stamp away. I get a perfect image every time. I can also position my stamps where ever I want since I can see through the blocks. My daughter who is just learning about stamping tried them and went home with a second set of rock a blocks I purchased. Try them, you will like them. They are easy to use and easy to clean. All types of rubber and acrylic stamps will work with the blocks.

Linda W February 28, 2009 at 8:27 am #

I’ve had the Rock-a-Blocks for about a month now and so far I really like them. You do only need to stamp your image once, do not rock, I’ve done that and you do get blurry images. I give them a five star rating, a must have tool.

Julie Campbell February 28, 2009 at 10:45 am #

Donna – Yes! All clear and EZ mounted rubber stamps work. And… I even tried taping on an unmounted piece of rubber stamp (no EZ mount foam) and it worked too! 🙂

Paula March 1, 2009 at 4:07 am #

I bought mine about 9 months ago and found that if you rock it more than once you get a blur.
    I have not used mine very often like your self Julie i find that i still use other blocks.
    And in the UK we pay £19.99, plus i have not seen anyone else write up about them.
    Thanks Julie for all your inspiration and maybe your dream will come true.

Sharona B March 2, 2009 at 7:22 am #

I saw this post yesterday and immediately went out and bought the blocks. I’m not one for delayed gratification. I have major hand issues and am always in pain after a stamping session. I found these to be a much easier way to stamp without the pain or pressure on my hands. I haven’t got a perfect impression each time – but pretty close. I’ve found if you use more than one image when stamping the impressions aren’t as clear. Also stamping with EZ mount is more difficult – due to the stamp being on the same level as the guidelines. That being said – I still got a much better impression. Thanks Julie for your inspiration and critique. I love my rock-a-blocks!

Beth March 24, 2009 at 9:28 am #

I use these frequently – but there were two cons which I had which were not listed. One – the two end edges that sometimes get ink on them when you ink them up — you have to be careful when inking up on the smaller blocks when using a large ink pad.

the color of the blocks is a light purple and it can occasionally be difficult to see through when using multi-step stamps. Lining up the small images in some of the two and three step stamps is not always precise!

thanks for your review Julia!