Vendor Spotlight : Ribbon Ring (Day 2, Post 1)

Reported by: Tracy Schultz

My ribbon storage system had gotten out of control. It was to the point where I could no longer find what I was looking for! So I consider myself pretty lucky that I got to review the Ribbon Ring. Now my ribbon is back under control- and best of all, out in the open so I can finally SEE and use what I have.

The Ribbon Ring is a very simple system. It’s a series of metal rings on which hang small plastic tags. Each tag has three slots through which you weave your ribbon. This keeps the ribbon from falling off of the ring when handling.

The standard tag holds ribbon up to 1.125″ wide. But there is a new jumbo tag that holds ribbon up to 2″ wide. With each tag set you also get small black inventory dots. These are handy as they let you record when you have more ribbon tucked away somewhere in case you run out.

Now, let’s get back to my own ribbon disaster- I mean, story. Above you’ll see my ribbon storage solution prior to the Ribbon Ring. I had FOUR drawers that I purchased from a home improvement store. Each was loaded with rolls of ribbon. It started out simple enough: I arranged my ribbon by color in these drawers. But I found when I added new ribbon I had to constantly rearrange my rolls as I filled up the rows in my drawer. It was a pain!

As I started crafting more, I quickly outgrew my system. I started stacking rolls on top of one another. I even bought ribbon storage cards and started winding smaller lengths of ribbon onto them. But the clips would often fall off and I would find my ribbon unwound in the drawer. Or worse- when I took it out to use, the ribbon was all crimped!

When I got the Ribbon Ring system in the mail, I immediately set out to organize my ribbon. It’s advised that any ribbon you have more than one yard of be cut into one yard lengths to hang on the tags. I didn’t heed this advice and quickly learned the hard way. It’s too difficult to tame your ribbon and sort through it when you have these random long strands hanging. So be sure to cut your ribbon- I just cut an arm’s length and that worked fine. Then I affixed an inventory dot to the tag so I knew I had more somewhere.

I found sorting my ribbon by color to work best. I hung two, or sometimes three, different types of ribbon on each tag. That way I could fit my whole inventory on this system. Melissa was nice enough to include extra metal rings, so I was able to put one color family on each ring. And then put those rings onto the giant metal ring included.

Pros:

• Reasonably priced
  • Metal rings and tags are sturdy
  • Inventory dots let you see when you have more ribbon in storage
  • Can fit multiple ribbons on one tag
  • Ribbon fits securely on tag and doesn’t fall off, even after handling

Cons:

• Standard tags only accommodate ribbon up to 1.125″ wide
  • Doesn’t come with enough inventory dots- I ran out!
  • Still need to store ribbon rolls somewhere
  • No system on which to hang the Ribbon Ring

I’m glad to say that USING the Ribbon Ring is so easy. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about having my ribbon out in the open. But I love it! Whenever I’m working on a project I can glance over at my ribbon and see what colors would work best. If I want a closer view, I can bring the entire system to my desk. Or I can just pull off the color family that I’m interested in. And removing ribbon to use is simple. I just open the ring, slide the tag off that has the ribbon I want to use on it, tie it around my card/project, then put the tag back on the ring.

I’ve been using this system for over a month and I haven’t had to refill any ribbon on the rings yet. And best of all, I’m using my ribbon more. I’m mixing colors and patterns on my projects that I never would have when my ribbon was in a drawer.

My only big con for this entire system is that I wish there was some sort of hanger for the ribbon rings themselves to go on. I have mine hanging on a random nail in my studio. But I would like something that allows me to see and MOVE the ribbon around without having to worry about it falling off the wall.

All in all, I think this is a great system and it’s at a great price. I’d give the Ribbon Ring an 8 out of 10.

You can purchase the Ribbon Ring online at their store and a starter kit costs only $8. Or you can find it at Scrapbook.com, Taylored Expressions, and other online vendors.

Do you own a Ribbon Ring? We’d love to hear what you think! Remember there is a Ribbon Ring in it for you!

, , ,

20 Responses to Vendor Spotlight : Ribbon Ring (Day 2, Post 1)

Linda F. April 22, 2009 at 9:53 am #

I LOVE my Ribbon Rings! I have very little space, so I put hooks on the wall and have my rings of ribbon hanging there by color! Very cool! BTW, don’t they still make the jumbo tags? They hold ribbon up to 2″ wide!

StampinCathy April 22, 2009 at 10:21 am #

I don’t have Ribbon Rings! But seeing them…I NEED THEM! It just adds color to your walls and you can see what you have. Thanks

Cassi April 22, 2009 at 10:50 am #

I tried to organize my ribbon by wrapping it on embroidery floss cards and then hanging them off a ring ….it didn’t work. However, I think this would. Now to find some empty wall space.

Phyllis April 22, 2009 at 11:01 am #

But what about dust and fading?? Even cardstock fades if it is out in the open as I have found out the hard way.

dawnaclark April 22, 2009 at 11:02 am #

What about dust and light exposure? Although I guess if it’s in a box never being used a little dust and fading is not so bad!! LOL! These look great, although I just invested many hours and some coin to the old-fashioned wooden clothespin method. They are great as so creasing and I place them by color in ziplocks, it is however a little bulky. Thanks!

kylie April 22, 2009 at 11:20 am #

i’ve tried the wooden clothespin method and found that i didn’t have enough clothes pins and i didn’t have enough space to store those. i’m thinking this could be a viable option for my ribbon storage. i’m in the process of putting together a new scrap room and my brithday’s coming up so this might very well be on my list!

Janice April 22, 2009 at 11:20 am #

I’ve never heard of these but they sure seem like something I need to try! My ribbon stash looks a lot like the before pictures from everyone here. At least I’m not alone!

Calamity Anne April 22, 2009 at 11:36 am #

I suggest the Grundtal 4-bar towel holder from IKEA to hang it all on (and it’s only $14.99). You can push all the bars out of the way too. The Grundtal is what I use for my ribbons, and I love it! Check it out here http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60047896

rush8888 April 22, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

in this post, tracey says she takes the ribbon off the ring, winds it around her project, cuts it and puts the plastic piece back on the ring. i thought this system was a way to hang/display the ribbon, bring the ribbon to the project, cut off only the piece that was needed and rehang the ring. now, my question is this: after cutting the ribbon, the strand is uneven, so how easy is it to bring the length even again? does it slide easily, or do you have to take the time to work it out? or, after cutting off what you need, just leave it uneven?

Tamikko April 22, 2009 at 12:39 pm #

I don’t have the ribbon ring but I’m sure this is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I too, have boxes of ribbon all tangled up. I hate it!
    Thanks again for showing us this fab tool. Much needed.

Sarah Moore April 22, 2009 at 12:50 pm #

Rush8888….

I use this product as well… and I just slide the ribbon down , cutt off what I need and quickly adjust the strand. The ribbon slides easy.

As far as dust and fading… I would not keep the ribbon in direct sunlight. I use high quality ribbons so this has not been an issue for me.

As far as dust: if you just give the ribbons a light shake the dust will come off and buildup won’t be an issue.

whoistracy April 22, 2009 at 3:25 pm #

Rush88:

I just remove the tag that the ribbon I want to use is hanging from. I don’t actually take the ribbon off of the tag. I cut what I need, then you can just slide the ribbon up to even the sides out. It’s really easy to do!

HTH

KanataNewf April 22, 2009 at 3:33 pm #

I had never heard of these until Craft Critique reviewed this week. But I can definitely see how they would be helpful.

Tonya April 22, 2009 at 4:03 pm #

Love the idea behind this but I agree I think it would be better if it had a hanger of it’s own. I currently have all of my ribbon in a deep drawer so even without it;s own hanger this looks like a much better system than what I currently have.

Rebecca Ednie April 22, 2009 at 5:15 pm #

I worry about fading too! My ribbon is all in jars. I’d love to try this system though especially for my ribbon on huge rolls. Maybe I’ll try making my own tags from chipboard and try it out before buying. Unless of course I win the free one offered!

~Michelle~ April 22, 2009 at 5:23 pm #

I hang each color family ring by a paperclip from a smaller ring on a cafe curtain rod I hung from my ceiling. I have a ribbon wall….and I just lift my color family ring off of the clip and it’s portable! I got the cafe rod from a rummage sale for FREE!
    Just an idea!!

P.S. Make your own wider ribbon tags with some folded cardstock….works like a charm!!

Jen_in_Kansas April 23, 2009 at 10:23 am #

A good way to dust your ribbon would be the same way to dust silk flowers. Put rice in a bag with the ribbon and shake. The rice wipes off the dust.

java diva April 23, 2009 at 11:48 am #

Tracy, maybe a way to display the ribbon would be on a clip-it-up? I don’t know if it’s high enough. What about a handmade version with the paper towel holders?
    I know they have the ribbon organizer, but it reminds me of a gutter and looks like it would take up too much space, IMO.

Carolyn April 24, 2009 at 12:09 pm #

I think these would be great just hanging on a wooden paper towel holder by my desk. what a great idea.

thanks for reviewing

ceashark at aol dot com

Juhi May 20, 2009 at 2:34 am #

Hi Tracy…..thanks for suggesting ribbon rings for my ribbons……this seems to be exactly what I am looking for!!