Digi Stamps

Please welcome Taylor to the Craft Critique team! Here’s an article (her first for us) that I know our readers have been clamoring for! Be sure to check out her blog too!

Reported by Taylor Usry

Digi whats? Digi whos? I know it can be a bit confusing to jump into this new way of stamping (which really isn’t stamping at all – it’s printing). Just hang with me for a few minutes, however, and you’ll follow where my thought train is going!
Digi stamps (or digi images) are images that you buy and which are for the most part immediately available. This satisfies my need for instant gratification – how about yours? Some stores email you your images, which could take up to three days. That’s still quicker than if you ordered a traditional stamp and you don’t have to pay for shipping (bonus!) Plus, digi stamps are way cheaper than regular stamps! They can range in price from $.99 to $5.00.

My first experience with digi stamps was at Pink Papery Studios. I was totally skeptical going into it. Do you know what I quickly figured out? You can size digis any way you want to! Have you ever had a favorite stamp you think is too big or too small? Digis can fix these problems for you!

I branched out next to The Greeting Farm, because their digi Anyas were just irresistible! I am clearly lacking in the willpower department. Aren’t they adorable? Yeah, that’s what I thought too. Notice how the size is different on each one – it’s all in how you choose to print it!

My next experience was with InStyle Stamps. Look how large I was able to make these mushrooms! It’s huge!!! I absolutely love that I was able to that with these mushrooms. It was so very cool and it helped me achieve exactly what I was going for! Who doesn’t love it when that happens?

Now, {Little Paper Shop} is getting in on the digi stamp action. And holy toads are their digis adorable! I have tons of love for this sweet girl as she just swings away! I left her image particularly large because the sketch I was following called for a large panel in that spot.

Ok, to wrap this up, let’s go over what makes digi stamps so fabulous:

Pros:

• Virtually instant availability
  • Less expensive than regular stamps
  • Can be sized the way you want them
  • Fun, wide variety of images

And things that aren’t so great about them:

Cons:

• They have to be printed, so it takes up paper and ink
  • It’s not the traditional rubber or acrylic format we know and love
  • They almost always need to be colored

So, what do you think? Are you ready to give digi stamps a try?

, , ,

13 Responses to Digi Stamps

Michelle Adams May 7, 2009 at 8:39 am #

I just recently tried digi stamps. I was hesitant to dive in…after all, why did I buy the bazillions of stamps and inks I have only to print an image out? But now I am a believer in digi! For all of the reasons you mentioned, plus I don’t think I can fit too many more stamps in my house! LOL! Great post – thanks!

Bogner's May 7, 2009 at 9:53 am #

Taylor: Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.
    I am not big on purchasing digi (paper, images, whatever) 🙂 and so I am big on the digi images because so many out there are cheap – as in FREE! Yay! So cheaper than the $.99 reported. Another pro that wasn’t mentioned is the storage. All you have to do is have a folder on your computer, so only takes up virtual space, not actual space! Big plus for people who are running out of places to store those rubber and acrylic stamps! Another point: you can typically get them in shapes you don’t normally find in physical stamps: Dustin Pike is giving away a Monster Truck digi on his site (can be found in my sidebar list of craftines!)
    Thanks again for the information. I am quickly falling in love with the digi world!

Tamikko May 7, 2009 at 9:55 am #

I became hooked when I found some offered for a free try. An extra bonus was my daughter could colour them too. I haven’t tried to resize yet, so I’ll have to try that. Thanks for the post.

Mary May 7, 2009 at 11:02 am #

Cool – I didn’t even know about this! I’m definitely going to give it a try!

ScrapMomOf2 May 7, 2009 at 12:19 pm #

I just wanted to say that The Cutting Cafe’ has the coolest printable stamps AND cutting images! Totally creative stuff! I love the printables, especially sentiments!!

Christine May 7, 2009 at 1:30 pm #

I’ve been hesitant to try digi stamps. I do like the option of being able to resize the image to whatever size needed and that they don’t require a lot of space.

I just have a few concerns. One is whether or not the printer ink will be affected by gamsol which I like to use when coloring. Another is the paper and ink issue. It seems like a waste to just print one image on a piece of cardstock. Logical answer would be to print several and just use as needed, but then that would lead to another storage issue I’d have to think about. Then comes the question of what if I need it at a different size?

For now, I think I’ll stink to my rubber and ink, but I’ll keep my mind open to digi stamps. Thanks for the great review!

Joyce Spear May 7, 2009 at 1:41 pm #

I have mixed feelings about digi stamps. I decided I should at least try it, so I bought a digi stamp and grabbed my copics to color the image… and the printer ink bled into the color. 🙁 I guess I’m limited to dry media such as colored pencils? My other concern is: What if I want to emboss the image?
    I’m open to feedback: stamperjoyce at AOL dot com

Lyn S May 7, 2009 at 6:07 pm #

I was also a bit hesitant about using digi images, but after getting some freebie images from Dustin Pike’s blog I tried one out using Prismacolor pencils and odorless mineral spirit. I’m happy to say that the ink from my inkjet printer didn’t smear either! I didn’t colour it right away, so not sure if this made a difference.

If you wanted to emboss the image you could always go over it with a Versamark pen then clear emboss or print it out on vellum and emboss it before the ink dries.

rush8888 May 7, 2009 at 11:38 pm #

there is nothing better than inky fingers – even if you “ruin” a project because of them! this method of “stamping” does not allow for embossing either. what about layering images or combining images? it looks like this product is not conducive to my type of stamping/artwork.

JessicaK May 8, 2009 at 1:53 pm #

I like digi stamps. The only problem is I can only color them in with colored pencils or paper piecing, because the printer ink apparently isn’t compatible with my markers – the lines smear. Totally agreed that the Anya stamps are adorabe. Haven’t tried the others.

Jen May 8, 2009 at 5:01 pm #

I would be concerned about not being able to do a lot of the stamping techniques that require actual physical rubber or acrylic like embossing, stamping on fabric etc. But I might give some free ones a go and see if I like it.

Fabrizio May 9, 2009 at 5:47 pm #

Christine, I found that if you print on cardstock or thick paper you can use gamsol with pastel pencils and it won’t bleed the inkjet ink as it’s water based. As for using markers or watercolors there are some fixatives spray to ‘set’ the inkjet ink. Unless you’re really quick at applying the embossing powder (and embossing powders and printers don’t mix LOL) then I would add that on the Cons list, I’m afraid.

Pretty Things May 9, 2009 at 9:58 pm #

I LOVE those!!! And that’s cool that you can size the stamps — very convenient. All of my rubber stamps are running over their box so this might be a good option!