EK Success Slim Profile Border and Shape Punches

How about a warm welcome for Christine! Here’s her first article for us, and I for one can’t wait to get my grabby little hands on these punches!

Reported by Christine Ousley

Can you ever have enough punches? Of course I think not, and I am sure that most paper crafters would agree. Well, good for all of us punch lovers, EK Success has developed a new product called the Slim Profile Paper Edger Punch. It is innovative, fun, storage friendly and perfect for giving our projects that special flair. When I first saw these punches in the store I was immediately intrigued by their size. With their slim design these new punches fit on top of each other in a nice neat stack. The colored labels on the top handle make identification very easy.

Besides the border punches, EK Success also introduced the new Slim Profile Punches. They are also easily stacked and color coded. You can also buy a handy carrying case for these punches for portability and easy storage. One of the best features of the Slim Profile Punches is they have a longer reach than most other punches which allows you more freedom to punch right where you need it.

Right now there are 20 different borders punches and 14 image punches. The border images as well as the image punches are all new and different from what we have seen other companies carry. My favorite border punch is the tiny scalloped edge with holes, but of course, I want them all!

To use your punch you will need to first unlatch it by sliding the button on the bottom of the handle. This opens up the punch so that you can slide your paper in. The punch guide on the top of the punch help you line up the paper as you punch across a piece of paper that is larger than the punch’s cutting area.

This picture shows the image punches. Just slide your paper in and punch. The one thing I noticed was that the first time I used the punch it was a little hard and I had to use two hands. After that, though, it worked very well. EK Success has a kit that you can purchase that will help renew and sharpen your punches. Retailing for just a few dollars, it is a very good value.

Here is a close up of both of the punched paper pieces on my card.

These punches are so very easy to work with they are sure to be a favorite of yours as much as they are of mine.

Pros:

• New, fun shapes and designs to decorate your projects
  • Stackable, so they take up less storage space
  • Handy carrying case available for shape punches
  • Printed design on edge for easy identification
  • Easy to hold and punch
  • Great graphics on border punch for easy alignment
Cons:
  • First punch was a little tough. I had to really push hard but after that very smooth
  • Okay EK, you know what I am going to say, “We want more!” Great selection so far but I am wanting more
  • Shape punches are all small, not much over 1 1/2 inches at the widest.

Where to buy:

The slim profile shape punches retail for $8.99; the edgers retail for $14.99 (USD).

In conclusion, I rate the new Slim Line punches from EK Success 9 out of 10. I love their slim design and fun borders and shapes. I use punches on most everything that I create, so I am very excited to see their cute border scenes for the holidays, seasons, birthdays as well as the decorative edges. I love their new innovative shape and design, and my storage system loves their stackability. What’s not to love about these new punches? You know you’ve got to have them!

Do you have one or many of these EK Success Slim Line punches? We’d love to hear your thoughts as well!

, , , ,

25 Responses to EK Success Slim Profile Border and Shape Punches

lizacreates May 8, 2009 at 7:24 am #

Try Michaels, too. With your coupon, they come out cheaper. I just bought a border punch and a circle punch. Love them both.

Marilyn May 8, 2009 at 7:36 am #

I love EK PUNCHEShope the LSS in Singapore bring the punches soon!

Katie Paterson May 8, 2009 at 8:09 am #

I am in love with these punches the design totally speech to my in product designer!! Great work EK success looking forward to getting more! I can never have enough border punches!

Christine May 8, 2009 at 8:18 am #

I just love these punches! I bought one from Michaels just to try out the new design and I adore it! I love how it fits into my drawers so easily. The other border punches I have are from Martha Stewart and as much as I like those as well, it’s difficult fitting them into a drawer that’s not very high.

I thought that the slimmer profile would make it a little more difficult to get the leverage needed to punch through thicker material, but I haven’t experienced any problems at all! I’ve even tried it on PTI cardstock which is super thick and it still works perfectly. Cannot wait to try out a few more!

Cheryl May 8, 2009 at 8:28 am #

The shape punches will also punch thru aluminum (from a soda can) with no more effort than cutting thru cardstock. And I love the small photo corners.

Only thing I’d change is to add a storage box for the border punches as well!

Anonymous May 8, 2009 at 8:31 am #

I have one of the border punches and I just love it! It’s very well made and I’ve had no problems in the least. The “fold-up” for storage is bonus. Well done EK!

Lindastamps

ms.cheryl May 8, 2009 at 8:43 am #

I recently bought 2 border punches and love them. Want more.$14 is a little steep. ms.cheryl

angie May 8, 2009 at 8:48 am #

i have a couple of the border punches and i LOVE them! i had no trouble getting them to punch – it was like cutting warm butter – i want them all!

Michelle Adams May 8, 2009 at 8:57 am #

I have several of these border punches, and LOVE them! I got all of mine at Michael’s. Great review!

Jackie May 8, 2009 at 9:43 am #

I have about 8 of the border punches and I love them! Easy to punch and leave nice clean designs. I can’t wait for more designs, although I can’t image what they would be.

Phyllis May 8, 2009 at 10:45 am #

Someone mentioned the price but the thing is punches ARE expensive. Look at Stampin’ Up – $15.95 and no coupon! IMHO these new slimline punches are a much better deal!

I finally found one last weekend and I love it. I do agree that at first it was hard to punch and I thought Oh no there is something wrong. But then a few punches later it worked great. These are the only ones for me from now on.

The only problem is that I want all of the borders.

I wasn’t impressed with the shape punches, they are small, but I am sure others will like them. And I sm sure E K SUccess is busy working on new designs.

I will do my best to hold off buying any more punches unless they are the new slimline design. I have so many punches and no wall space, so it has become a huge hassle to find an accessible and compact method to store them. This is the solution.

Bogner's May 8, 2009 at 11:22 am #

Christine: Your article Rocked!
    I just recently purchased one of the EK border punches: Scalloped Scallop and I must say I LOVE IT! I was a little skeptic at first since it is so different from other punches, but once I decided to buy it and then USE it, I am hooked! I purchased mine at Micheal’s and can’t wait until my next visit so I can buy the one I really wanted – which was out of stock! (Swiss cheese!) Thanks for the info on the shape punch holder… I looked it up and it is very affordable, who knew!

Becky May 8, 2009 at 12:18 pm #

I just brought one to see if I would like it, 🙂 and I do, they are great, I love that they are slim, easy to store, I want more also .

Elaine A May 8, 2009 at 12:31 pm #

I love these punches and have started my collection. I currently own the fleur de lis border and single punch as well as the diamond/dots scallop border.

Elaine Allen

Nancy May 8, 2009 at 1:11 pm #

Like the review. I just think it’s interesting that EK Success is putting together this “punch revitalizer” kit and probably charging megabucks for it when you could pick up a roll of wax paper, one of foil and a can of WD-40 and do the same thing for a lot cheaper.

JessicaK May 8, 2009 at 1:52 pm #

I just saw the duck and beach ones in my LSS. Need to check them out!

Michelle E May 8, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

I love these border punches! The size is great for storage and they work beautifully. My favorite is “Swiss Cheese”. They are 30% off now so I had to have another one – the stitched border.

Tamikko May 9, 2009 at 5:09 pm #

I love EK Punches. I was really surprised at how nice they punch through cardstock. Like most others, I use my Michaels coupons to buy them as I find all punches to be expensive. These are actually a little cheaper, Some of them are as much as $25. in B.C. Canada.

Lisa L. May 9, 2009 at 6:46 pm #

I am actually receiving a couple for mother’s day tomorrow. Can’t wait!

Rebecca May 9, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

I love the Ek border punches. They seem to cut a lot more smoothly and evenly than the Fiskars border punches. Also I saw the maintenance kit for about $2.99 on sale at Michaels.

Christine May 11, 2009 at 11:24 am #

Oh, I am so glad that you all love the punches as much as I do. All of your comments are wonderful and I appreciate them all. Yes, don’t forget coupons are a scrapbookers best friends. Until next time…
    xoxo, Christine

Carol May 11, 2009 at 3:17 pm #

I’ve bought 4 of these punches so far, 2 borders and 2 images and I LOVE them! They punch perfectly every time and I love that they stack for more organized storage. I bought mine at Michaels with a 40% off coupon for an even better price!

Suzy May 12, 2009 at 6:39 am #

Fab article. I am in love with these punches too 🙂

Sarah Moore May 12, 2009 at 10:26 am #

I went out and bought one when I read your article during submission… and now I am HOOKED! CC will be doing more on these punches for sure… we recommend them highly!

Jean from jlfstudio November 15, 2009 at 6:08 am #

Curious if anyone has tried using these punches upside down? I often use my SU punches this way so I can see exactly where I’m punching and get the most punches out of my limited paper for large multi punch projects or for coordinated stamp images.