Making Memories Desktop Carousel

Making Memories Desktop CarouselI’m not sure about you, but one of the most difficult challenges I face as a paper crafter is staying organized. Having a lot of tools and supplies seems to be inherent to the craft, and finding solutions to storing and organizing those supplies for efficient use can be a frustrating task. I am constantly looking for products that are affordable, durable, and that fit my needs. One great product that I’ve recently splurged on is the Making Memories Storage Carousel.

The Making Memories Desktop Carousel is not a new product. It’s been on the market for about a year and a half. This Desktop Carousel is a craft storage organizer that sits on your work-surface. Like a carousel, it spins around for easy access to all six sides of this organizer. Underneath the main storage compartments, there are little drawers to help organize smaller items.

When I first saw photos of the storage carousel on-line, I thought it looked like a cool product, but I already had so many items on my desk that one more just wasn’t practical. I’ve been doing some major purging and sorting and organizing to make my work space more functional. There is nothing worse than being inspired and then not being able to find that specific tool or embellishment to finish off your project. Wandering through Michael’s with a 50% off coupon a few weeks ago and coming across one of these organizers provided an opportunity I just had to take advantage of.

The first thing I noticed about this Making Memories storage was how sturdy it was, and how well the carousel turned. All turntable style objects are not equal; I’ve come across too many that did not live up to their expectations. I was thrilled with the quality construction of this unit. The classic white finish and the cool look of this storage is a great selling feature as well. If it’s going to sit on the desktop, it might as well look cool! So I had it on my desk and it was looking good so I started filling it up. Six pairs of scissors, a scoring tool, permanent journaling pens, a paper piercer, ruler, some pencils, a few markers, a few more markers, 3 kinds of adhesive, adhesive remover and more and it still wasn’t full. I was pretty excited as I was cleaning up my desk and taking things out of that crammed drawer that I couldn’t find anything in. Some more markers still that I always forget to use and then I started filling the drawers with buttons, pins and all manner of great goodies. Hey! Is that a magnet I see? Each drawer has a magnet on the back of it to keep it in place. I was amazed and I was in love with my new storage solution.

Features:

• six drawers, 10 compartments
  • white classic finish
  • constructed with sturdy MDF
  • turntable style base
  • 8″ tall by 14.2″ wide
  • drawers have magnetic feature to keep them in place while spinning
  • 6 metal label holders for easy product identification

Pros:

• White classic finish with great lines and style make this an attractive storage solution
  • Extremely well-made and designed
  • Easy access and viewing of my most used tools… no more hunting through that drawer
  • Holds a lot of tool and supplies

Cons:

• takes up desk space
  • finish may scratch under lots of use
  • non-portable storage… this is best to stay in one place

You can find the Making Memories Desktop Carousel at Making Memories and Amazon.com.  This storage option retails for $39.99 US or approximately $55.00 CDN. You can find it cheaper at many on-line stores, or use a coupon at Michael’s or other craft stores to make it easier on the pocketbook. In Canada, you’ll have the best luck finding it in-store at Michael’s. No matter what the price, I think this storage carousel is a great product and investment in keeping your desk organized. I’d rate it a 9.5 out of 10 for usefulness, construction and I just plain like looking at it on my desk. And of course, if worst comes to worst and inspiration fails to strike, I can always have fun twirling my goodies around and around. (wink)

So… how’s it working weeks later? I love it. I’m hooked. I actually put most of my tools away. AND… if I had a little more desk space, I think I’d buy another. How’s that for a ringing endorsement? So what about you? Do you have a Making Memories Desktop Carousel or other Making Memories storage products? We’d love to hear from you. Tell us what you think. After all, at Craft Critique…we not only like to give our opinion…we’d like to hear yours as well!

, , ,

24 Responses to Making Memories Desktop Carousel

Christine July 13, 2009 at 10:01 am #

I adore my desktop carousel! It was the very first organizing item I bought for scrapbooking and I’m so glad I did. It takes up a corner of my pretty tiny desk, but I couldn’t do without it. I store practically all my tools in that wonderful little twirly item. The little drawers come in handy for holding smaller tools like needles, extra craft blades, etc. I was pretty wowed by the little magnets in the back of the drawers, but I’ve found, at least on mine, they don’t necessarily stay on very well. A few of them, it looks like the magnet was a bit stronger than the adhesive holding the corresponding metal piece. No biggie…the drawer is still functional. I like the white color on it, but I might have preferred a more glossy paint. Reason being, I tend to pile so much stuff into the carousel, it comes up with scratches from metal ends and writing instruments A LOT. I would think a glossy paint might help repel these marks a bit easier.

Anonymous July 13, 2009 at 10:05 am #

Have one. Love it! The only complaint I have is the finish but I think it could be painted with a glossier paint. Still…I would buy one all over again!

Lindastamps

Linda July 13, 2009 at 11:08 am #

This looks like a super great way to keep organized on the craft table. I think I will check these out the next time I go shopping.

Becky July 13, 2009 at 11:27 am #

I have been looking at this for about 6 months, debating whether or not to buy. I did not think about using my coupon at Micheal’s, now that is a great idea :).

Kay July 13, 2009 at 11:33 am #

I love my carousel so much, I DID buy another one! I’m fortunate enough to have plenty of horizontal space, so that wasn’t an issue. These little babies are great!

Axes DesigNs July 13, 2009 at 11:33 am #

I don’t have one but I;m thinking seriusly to buy one.. It seems is a good element to have.. thanks for te review!

ScrapMomOf2 July 13, 2009 at 11:37 am #

Crop Chocolate has this for sale once in a while too. That’s were I got mine from, and I love it!

Nancy July 13, 2009 at 12:13 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

Nancy July 13, 2009 at 12:15 pm #

I’ve also been considering purchasing this item. I am huge into organization and have a spot for everything. However, with the Carousel…everything would be contained in one spot! Love it!

whoistracy July 13, 2009 at 12:21 pm #

Great review Julia! I’ve had this for about 6 months and just ADORE it. I can’t imagine how I ever crafted before this. LOL

Tamikko July 13, 2009 at 12:41 pm #

I do have one, and love it. It is the single most used item on my desk. May be a little too much fun to spin around. It really makes me happy because it does its job so well, all things in its place, organized and kept in eyesight and arms reach.
    I would definitely get another, or gift it to someone who doesn’t have one.
    Thanks for the tute.

SMK July 13, 2009 at 1:35 pm #

I’ve had mine a few months and love it! If I had more space I’d get another 😀 I used a 50% Michaels coupon for my purchase and it was definitely worth it! I wish they also made it in a bigger size to hold slightly larger items too! 🙂

Mary July 13, 2009 at 2:56 pm #

I have had my Making Memories Desktop Carousel for about a year and I love it! It is an awesome organizer. I store my paint brushes, cutting knives, scissors and so much more. It holds a lot of the tools that I use. I highly recommend it. Julia listed the 3 cons to this product so I have nothing else to add to the con list. 🙂 Thanks for the great review Julia.

Mary

Jarie July 13, 2009 at 2:59 pm #

I also love my desktop carousel and have it pretty full. I still have some drawers that aren’t filled yet but I’m quite sure before too long they will be.

Janet

BishopsMommie July 13, 2009 at 4:45 pm #

I love mine as well.. after I saw it on the MM blog during a CHA reveal… I knew I wanted it bad.. I got it the next CHristmas..totally love it!!

me July 13, 2009 at 5:09 pm #

I put off buying this carousel FOREVER. It seemed like everyone had one, the price was exorbitant, and I’d already HATED the Pampered Chef carousel. Then Crop Chocolate had them as their daily deal for such a good price that I thought I would give it a try, and I have to say it’s unbelievable.

I just LOVE this carousel. It holds a TON of tools plus all the little drawers, which I’d really thought were kind of silly, are PERFECT for eyelet setter tips and scissor covers, a couple of erasers, chalk applicators, lip balm, and other tiny bits and pieces that get lost in larger drawers. I was pleasantly surprised to find the lazy-susan mechanism as sturdy as reported, even when loaded with MANY heavy metal tools. I am glad that I broke down and got one, and, as cliche as it sounds,I don’t know how I did without it for so long.

Marcie S. July 13, 2009 at 5:58 pm #

I’ve had my carousel for over a year now and wouldn’t use anything else for storage. I’m like Julia, I need more room on my desktop so I can buy ANOTHER one. Mine has held up beautifully, and I find I use many more supplies and tools since they are within reach. I’d recommend this product to any crafter!!

KanataNewf July 13, 2009 at 7:19 pm #

Oh this does look like a lovely organizer. I recently did a bit of a tidy up on one of my crafting desks/tables and put a couple of mini-drawer organizers in place. The drawers measure about 9 x 12 and do a pretty good job for the flat things but a carousel would be great for scissors, craft knives, etc.

Christine July 14, 2009 at 9:07 am #

I love my desktop carousel. I actually use it for my Copic Markers. Each section can hold a color. I actually have quite a few and they all fit. I use the bottom drawers for my buttons and I can also fit all of my acryllic stamp blocks in the middle as well as some pencils and scissors. I am so glad I got it. Just a little tip, Michaels has it on sale this week , 30% off I believe. Great review Julia.
    xoxo, Christine

Oma July 19, 2009 at 5:33 pm #

I’ve had mine for about 4 months now and love it! I store brads, buttons and charms in the small drawers. I keep scissors, pens, pencils, and foam squares along with my acrylic blocks in it. I got mine with a 50% off coupon at Michaels. I feel the regular price of $54 too steep.

Tamara July 21, 2009 at 1:09 pm #

I have looked at these quite a few times, but I cannot justify spending over 50.00 on this one item. I currently have a much smaller office style desktop carousel that only cost $10.00, and I can’t see spending 5x that on a new one.

savannajade October 13, 2010 at 4:50 am #

Somebody out there…

Desktop carousel

Wendy August 10, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

I am in the uk and have tried everywhere to get one over here with no luck I am gutted cause I really really want one boo hoo

wendy

Kelly November 22, 2013 at 9:44 am #

This is 4 years after this review was published yet the items is still sought after. I am from France and could not find the MM desktop carousel anywhere so I just ordered the Recollection one from ebay, looking forward to receiving it.