Tim Holtz Grungeboard

Reported by Taylor Usry

Have you ever tried Tim Holtz’s Grungeboard? If so, you are probably addicted (like me). If you haven’t, prepare to have some fun! Grungeboard, according to Tim Holtz, is made of recycled paper. Here is an excellent You Tube tutorial video by him, that tells more about what it is, and how to use it!Pictured above is how a package of Grungeboard comes. This one happens to be plain texture; there are several other textures it is available (harlequinn, swirls, etc). The outside of the package will always have a small sample of the texture in the corner, so you can feel it!

This is the first thing I made. I got a Grungebook and decided to just dive right in. I painted it with Tim Holz’s Distress Crackle Paint in brushed pewter. Mine never did crack, but of course Tim’s does in the video! It did stay an awesomely cool metallic shade, though. The only thing I adhered to it was that gigantic flourish from the swirls collection. I rubbed it with mahogany ink (Distress Ink, Tim Holtz line) and then used a blender tool to give an all over color. I’ve never seen a flourish so big before, and thought this would be a great way to start off my book!

This is the second page I made. I decided to see how Grungeboard would hold up to spray adhesive and thicker designer paper. So I sprayed the whole thing after I inked the tab, and adhered this piece of designer paper. True to its description, it stayed flexible! I sanded all of the edges – Grungeboard sands like a dream – and then got to work on my main piece. I again rubbed the aged mahogany ink on the heart and blended it. I painted the wings and crown with Angel Wings and Coffee Shimmerz, respectively. I popped the heart up on dimensionals, and left this one alone! I’m planning to go back and add some journaling later

For my third page, I went in a direction that is so not me – but I figured I’d stretch myself a bit! I covered the whole piece with aged mahogany ink, and stamped a map background in the middle, with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I rubbed on frayed burlap ink around the edges until I reached the map, and painted a swirled skull in the bottom right corner with Coffee Shimmerz. I got some plain letters out, and painted them with Royal Red Shimmerz. What do you think about how this one turned out??

The very last thing I did was make a tag. Grunge Paper is 12″x12″ sheets that comes in packages of 3. I cut out my tag, ran some faded jeans ink over it, and then used a blending tool to makes it even. My flowers are from the Grungeboard pack called “Nature” – fun aren’t they? To color the stems I used Memento Bamboo Leaves ink. The flowers themselves are aged mahogany. I sprayed the whole tag with adhesive, and added the flowers. I made my sentiment piece (it says “the earth laughs in flowers” and is from the Lizzie Anne Designs set ‘In the Meadow‘) and adhered it over the flowers. After it all set a bit, I coated it with Krystal Crystal Clear acrylic coating. It did make the sentiment panel hard to read, but I like the overall vintage feel it gave the tag.

*All inks used were from Tim Holtz’s Distress line, unless otherwise noted.

Ok, let’s break it down:

Pros:

• Easy-to-use
  • Multi-purpose
  • Comes in amazing shapes, for every need

Cons (and this is a reach for me):

• The 12″x 12″ paper pack only has 3 sheets in it
  • I’d like to see more variety of books
  • No third con for me – I love Grungeboard!!!
Where to buy:

Have you tried Grungeboard? What do you do with it? Leave us a comment and let us know!

, ,

20 Responses to Tim Holtz Grungeboard

1. Erika M. July 16, 2009 at 7:37 am #

I really like the Grungeboard. I have found with the paint if you dry it with blow dryer or an embossing tool then it will crackle.

2. Francie Horton July 16, 2009 at 9:54 am #

I’ve always wondered if it was really that much different from chipboard… enough to justify the price. yes? no?

3. Tamikko July 16, 2009 at 11:14 am #

I love Grungeboard!! One of the most amazing things is that its flexible. You can bend them around a book, box or any object your making. The hinges are great for bending around books and boxes. I love that you can ink them, paint them, make them sparkle or shine, all the while being really rough with them and that’s ok because they’re so versatile.

4. Axes DesigNs July 16, 2009 at 11:42 am #

Ijust got it but I love it! it has a great texture also I got a lot of distress inks they are so amazing!

5. ScrapMomOf2 July 16, 2009 at 11:45 am #

Tried it, love it, and I use it on my cards and layouts! I FINALLY got some crackle paint, and I’m going to try that on it today!!

6. lizacreates July 16, 2009 at 11:48 am #

I love grungeboard, but pls be aware that it’s not acid-free.

7. Rachel July 16, 2009 at 12:17 pm #

I love Grungeboard! I am addicted. Here is a necklace I made using grungeboard shapes: http://nycterisa.deviantart.com/art/Mechanum-Sidereal-127559502

8. Sarah Moore July 16, 2009 at 12:53 pm #

It’s true… Grungeboard is NOT acid free… so if you are really intense about acid free stuff then do take that into consideration…

but in these days of recycled-found object-steampunk scrapping… I never worry about such things personally. I might just not place it against a family heirloom.

9. pezadoodle July 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm #

i ADORE grungeboard! it is SO different than chipboard. the look and feel of it is totally different but it also stands up to so much more than paper based chipboard can. i especially love using the flexible hinges and locks on altered wooden boxes. i can ink it, paint it or spray the heck out of it with perfect pearls mist, drown it in stickles (or all of the above!!) it has such a unique and vintage look and feel all on it’s own and i have to admit i DO love the smell – almost like leather!

10. celticmystyc July 16, 2009 at 2:29 pm #

LOVE Grungeboard, I’ve bought both the Elements -Harlequin, and plain non-textured pack. I’ve sanded, inked, painted and adore the Elements. I bought the plain pack to run thru my cuttlebug, sixxix and cricket. The deep cutting blade makes it possible to cut chipboard, why not grunge?
    LOVE IT. Tim Holtz is a GOD…

11. Debby July 16, 2009 at 6:01 pm #

I have and use a lot of grungeboard and grungepaper. I love it to pieces.

I wish it did not smell funny. That’s my only thought.

12. ~wenhether~ July 16, 2009 at 7:08 pm #

I love grundgeboard! You can do anything to it and it looks great! Great article!!

13. Christine July 17, 2009 at 6:22 am #

I absolutely ADORE grungeboard! I’ve pretty much tried all the different sets, minus the numbers/punctuation one, and I’ve been having so much fun playing with them. I love slathering them with some acrylic paint, or even shimmerz! I even tried embossing them with the cuttlebug and it was a tight fit, but it came out beautiful on the other end! Just have to turn the crank a little harder to get it through that first hump. I haven’t tried the grungepaper yet. Hmm…still wondering if I can fit it through the cuttlebug for die cutting. I am also waiting to get the journals and try those out. I love how it’s super flexible, but sturdy enough to take a beating!

14. Francie Horton July 17, 2009 at 8:56 am #

I’m with Sarah on the found object/recycled items – I use them so much that it wouldn’t matter in my own crafting if it were acid-free or not.

With all the raves it looks like I need to get me some grunge. 😀

15. Francie Horton July 17, 2009 at 8:59 am #

Rachel, love your necklace! Would have commented there but I’m not deviant enough. 😉

16. Lisa L. July 17, 2009 at 10:37 am #

I only tried it once but the smell of it really bothered me…I was sneezing and coughing.

17. Elaine July 17, 2009 at 10:43 pm #

absolutely LOVE it!!!

18. Jen July 18, 2009 at 6:31 am #

I have grungeboard. I don’t use it often. I forget about it. I haven’t even seen grungepaper yet.

The trick with crackle paint is to layer it on thick. The thicker the paint, the bigger the cracks.

19. Mel M. M. McCarthy July 19, 2009 at 4:22 am #

Fantastic write up & your book is stunning! My favourite thing I’ve made with grungeboard is a homemade embossing folder (well more like a plate) for the Cuttlebug or other pressure embossing machines. :O) You can see how here if you’d like.

20. Jo-Ann June 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

I am trying to find the Nature grungeboard pack. Anyone?