Scor-Bug by Scor-Pal

Reported by Beth Silaika

I am not a fan of bugs. With the exception of ladybugs, butterflies and the occasional dragonfly, I have a swat to kill policy! Bugs creep me out!

In April, just as the flying critters are making the first Spring appearance in New York, Scor-Bug flew into my craft collection. I stumbled upon this new bug, which is not only cute, but pretty versatile for crafters! This little grey and teal spotted tool is a great accessory which works in conjunction with your Scor-Pal.

The tool has retractable “teeth” on a rotary wheel. The ergonomic design of the tool allows you to easily grasp the tool and gently glide the teeth in the grooves of the Scor-Pal for even bumps on your paper.

You simply place your cardstock or paper on the Scor-Pal, determine where you want your embossed line to occur, line that placement up with a grooved Scor-Pal line, and drag the Scor-Bug tool’s rotary teeth over the paper. One thing to remember is to start your tool in the groove off the paper in a groove line or you will not get the full embossed effect, just a minor little dotted line.

Another item to consider is where you place your cardstock on the scorpal. You want to remember to leave a small gap between the top edge of the Scor-Pal and the paper you are “bugging”. If you don’t leave a slight space between the paper and the top of the Scor-Pal, you will find that the entire piece of paper will not get the pierced line. The tool hits the top edge of the Scor-Pal and stops with a small part of the paper “un-bugged”. This can be difficult because I always use the top edge of the Scor-Pal to ensure that when I score a piece of paper it will be straight. When you use the Scor-Bug, you need to line your paper up with the grooved lines to ensure a straight edge.

The dotted area can be used to give some fun detail to your cards and scrapbook pages. Here, I used it to create a double embossed line on my cardstock.

You could use the other side of the cardstock for a pierced look, like faux stitching.

Whichever way you use it in your crafting applications, the detail that this tiny little tool creates is awesome.

Pros:

• Simple to use, simply drag the rotary teeth in the groove of your Scor-Pal
  • inexpensive
  • creates a neat row of embossed or debossed dots on your paper
  • use the Scor-bug tool along with your Scor-pal without moving your paper to create a nice linear pattern. You do not even need to move your paper.

Cons:

• You need to have the Scor-Pal to use this tool, you cannot use it on a flat surface
  • You have to remember to place the cardstock or paper a small distance away from the top edge of the Scor-Pal or you will not be able to “bug” your entire piece of paper. You also have to ensure to line up your edge the paper with the Scor-Pal grooves so that you will create a straight line
  • You should only drag the Bug in one direction, if you drag it back AND forth, it will not create a nice even line, it will look messy
  • You have to start dragging the Scor-bug off your paper or you may not get in the groove and only get a slightly dotted line, not the full pierced dot.

Scor-Pal created a new rage with its scoring tool, and the Scor-Bug is a wonderful little addition to the Scor-Pal family. I wouldn’t squash this little Bug! I give the Scor-Pal a thumbs up! For less than $7, it is worth it to add it to your collection of tools!

I would love to hear how you use the Scor-Bug in your crafting applications.

, , , , ,

14 Responses to Scor-Bug by Scor-Pal

1. Rachel October 30, 2009 at 9:33 am #

Here’s a tip to help you line your paper up. First, place a ruler against the top of the ScorPal. Then line your paper up against the ruler. Finally, remove the ruler! Your paper is lined up, but you still have room for the ScorBug. Hope that helps.

2. RosieP October 30, 2009 at 10:05 am #

Cool tool! And my thanks to Rachel whose comment is also very helpful!

3. jascrafts October 30, 2009 at 10:13 am #

I like it, now i must have it! thanks

4. Tobi Crawford October 30, 2009 at 10:45 am #

this product has been around for a long time, it was just recently branded with the scor-pal name.

It works really well if you have a blade-style paper trimmer. You place your paper in the trimmer and run the “bug” along the track where the blade would run.

5. KellyRae October 30, 2009 at 11:53 am #

This is a great too. I especially like how you have two ‘looks’, depending on which side of the ScorBugged cardstock you place face up. I’ve got two lattice grid cards I made using the ScorBug on my blog (scroll down to the second set of photos in that post).

6. jayne October 30, 2009 at 12:36 pm #

Wow, I would love to get one of these. I will order one the next time I order Scor-Tape!

7. Jeanne October 30, 2009 at 4:41 pm #

Wow, what a great idea! My lines are usually crooked. Thanks for the Scor-Pal idea!

8. Stefani October 31, 2009 at 12:19 am #

I agree with Tobi Crawford’s comments. Cutter Bee makes the tools. There is a single piercer and a double row piercer, even a zigzag tool. They can be viewed here. I am not affiliated with this store in anyway, found them in a Google search. (http://www.crafterstoybox.com/store/product4678.html)
    All are in a very pretty pink. I own the tools but not a ScorPal and have been able to use them just fine. That being said I’m sure it is nice to have a tool to match the ScorPal and it really does seem that using the tool with the ScorPal is pretty nice.

9. scrappypug November 1, 2009 at 12:13 pm #

I will have to actualy dig mine out and try it today!!

10. Anonymous November 2, 2009 at 8:50 pm #

Hello from Russia!
    Can I quote a post “No teme” in your blog with the link to you?

11. Laurel November 6, 2009 at 9:18 pm #

Thanks for the review. I have both the scor-bug and scor-pal! I use my scor-pal ALL THE TIME! But not so much with the scor-bug. No reason. Just never used it yet. But rest assured I will be using it on my next project. Thanks so much for the technique tutorial and review of this product. Have you guys review the Scor-TAPE? That stuff is AWESOME!

12. Laurel November 7, 2009 at 1:26 pm #

Thanks for the great critique. I finally broke mine out today. I have had it for a long time!!!

13. li-marie November 25, 2009 at 8:01 am #

i find you can you use for the embossing if you run it over foam.

14. Bd9598 February 17, 2010 at 2:33 am #

Yes I’ve had this for a long time too there are 3 tools made by Cutter Bee if I am spelling it right.
    I have really preferred my Score It Board over the Scorpal, which I don’t really like that much, maybe if I try this tool on the ScorPal I will like it better, thanks for the idea.