Shimmerz, Blingz, and Spritz and how they compare

Reported by Megan Lock

Here’s a video demonstration of three different glittery media, so you can see them in action!

Now that you’ve seen the video, below is just a quick comparison of what I talked about:

Shimmerz and Blingz
Form: aqueous liquid in plastic pot with twist-on lid
Glitter Factor: very glittery, adds an intense amount of super fine glitteriness to image
Clarity: transparent with tinting of color
Ease of use: easy, just shake before use and use a regular paint brush, minimal clean up
Availability: not at large retailers, seen at some local craft stores.
Cost: $2.79-$3.95

This is a very cool product. It’s very unique and provides endless outlets for your creativity. You can use it on paper, but you can also it on almost all surfaces, metal, wood, fabric, felt, etc. One of my favorite techniques is to shimmer up some flower embellishments. You can also take your scrap paper, cover it with Shimmerz, and punch out different shapes for some beautiful embellishments, too. There are a lot of options with this product!

Also, this company produces Spritz, glittery, shimmery spray that you can spray onto the surface of your project, if you’d prefer to avoid the paintbrush. The spray provides a lot of glitter and shimmer, but it’s a little less dense than your average coating of the Shimmerz. If you like to support American based companies, you’ll be glad to know that these products are made here in the USA.

Pros:

• use over colored image for REAL sparkle
  • can be used over variety of color mediums (copics, colored pencils, etc.)
  • variety of colors
  • made in the USA

Cons:

• aqueous-based, use caution when using over water colors, can smear color
  • if used too heavily will cause paper to ripple

Twinkling H2Os
Form: solid cake in plastic pot with twist-on lid
Glitter Factor: mild and variable, more water = less glitter, less water = more glitter
Clarity: variable with quantity of water used, though on average provides deep, rich color with mild sparkle
Ease of use: moderate, requires water coloring skills, need to prep color before use
Availability: not at large retailers, seen at some local craft stores.
Cost: large pots $3.60 each, also available in kits.

Smooches
Form: liquid, about the consistency of nail polish, in plastic bottle with twist-on lid with applicator
Glitter Factor: mild, the silver gives more of a metallic finish than glittery
Clarity: opaque
Ease of use: easy, applicator included, no mess to clean up after use
Availability: not a large retailers, possibly at some local craft stores, though new product so availablity may be limited.
Cost: $4.50

Here are the products in action. I have three cards using each of these products.

This card shows the Twinkling H2Os used as water colors:

Gina K and Verve stamps

I used Shimmerz on Ketto’s dress:

Stamping Bella, Ketto

This close up shows some of the shimmer:

Lastly, I used the Smooches to color in the little dots on the Javabug’s dress and hat:

Stamping Bella, Huggabugs

Shimmerz and Luminarte also produce glitter or shimmer sprays to add more shimmer to your project. How do you use these products? Have your tried all of them? Do you have a favorite?

, , , , , ,

9 Responses to Shimmerz, Blingz, and Spritz and how they compare

Jingle June 25, 2009 at 9:56 am #

Thanks for the comparison! These are all such fun things to play with!

Denise ~ Paper Ponderings June 25, 2009 at 9:56 am #

Thanks for comparing! Great idea!

Siri Fjørtoft, Fjørtoft Design November 12, 2009 at 12:56 pm #

I haven´t tried the H2Os or the Smoches, but I LOVE my Shimmerz, Blingz and Spritz 🙂 I use them all the time. I just want to point out that the differense between Shimmerz and Blingz is that the Blingz have way more glitter in them, and its a bit denser than the Shimmerz. Also you can mix the colors so that you get just the right shade for your project 🙂

Siri

Vel November 12, 2009 at 1:38 pm #

Oh, this was very helpful. I had H2Os on my wishlist…taking them off now as I don’t have much experience or skill in watercolor type work. I think I’d like to try the Shimmerz now though. Thanks! 🙂

Cyndi November 13, 2009 at 4:28 am #

Thanks for making this video. I have ordered a couple of Smooches and really didn’t have a clue what I was going to use them for! Now I know! lol I’m not much of a coloring person so the Smooches sound like the perfect thing for me to add a little pizzaz here and there. Thanks again! Great video!

Linda w November 13, 2009 at 8:08 pm #

I love my twinkling H2Os. You realy need to let them sit at least 4-5 minutes with the water in them before you start using them. This allows the product to soften up and then the color and the mica powder can mix easier. If you don’t let them sit, you usually don’t get as much sparkle because the two mediums will not get mixed well. After using them they need to dry also before putting the cover back on the little pot. Or you can just leave the cover off and store them that way. One little pot is more than enough to last a lifttime. I have not used Shimmerz.

thanks much

cjknick November 18, 2009 at 2:47 pm #

What a great presentation on differences. Thanks a bunch! One thing I would add about the shimmerz… I’ve had mine for a long time and they do dry out. Just add DISTILLED water and they’ll come alive again 🙂

Cindy in Boise

Etha November 22, 2009 at 8:39 am #

I have the shimmerz/blingz and the H2Os. Like them both. The shimmerz uses up very quicikly in my opinion, I already had to replace a few colors and buy new pots. The H2Os I haven’t manage to make a dent in them yet 🙂 I had completely stopped using the H2Os after their spiel with going out of business etc. If you want to publish you should take supplies that are still available. I got a bit suspicious when I read with their going-out-of-business sale they had problems keeping up with production to fill orders. Hmmm, why make new when you want to sell out? And then after all that cash flow, to not close after all. Left a very bad taste in my opinion….

Crazy Creations December 20, 2009 at 2:29 pm #

I love my H2O and shimmers I just got smoches not that crazy about them .I hate that you cant buy H2o anymore everytime I see some is selling there I buy them .Sarah