We R Memory Keepers’ Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper Craft Tool

by Fabrizio Martellucci

Have you gone through your normal corner punches with a lever or the ones you push on the edge and found them unsatisfactory? Well, if you want ease-of-use, and an suffer from dexterity problem or are ‘weak wristed’ like myself, look no further than We R Memory Keepers Crop-A-Dile Chomper Corner cutter tool. It’s not your average punch you need to use on a table as it is to be hand-held (if you have a crop-a-dile you’ll know exactly what I mean).

Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper from We R Memory

Rounding corners of cards or your mats you put on your scrapbook layouts is very much the trend at the moment. And despite purchasing two different punches, I always found them flimsy and not very strong in doing the job, especially with card stock or thicker paper. I even had one break on me (actually it was Vince but need to save the reputation of the ‘innocent’ LOL).

Notice the broken one on the left – The other one is sturdy but you can’t see if the paper is aligned properly so another drawback of this kind of punch

The problem with lever punches is that you can’t see properly when you try to align the corner (as you can see from the picture you don’t know if both side are touching. The other one is fairly good as you can exactly see where the paper aligns but here’s the caveat, it only accepts paper; try anything thicker and you’ll end up with the plastic sleeve breaking (see picture above).

I can see clearly that I’ve aligned the paper properly and will get a good clean cut

With the Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper, I can exactly see where I’m putting the corner to be cut and since I can use it mid-air I can bring it forward to clearly see what’s I’m doing (a boon as my sight is not what it used to be). Also, the material We R Memory Keepers uses on the handle is lovely and soft, though you can feel the sturdiness of the tool underneath.

I was able to cut through thick cardstock, achieving lovely round edges on a few cards going through two layers with ease. And that’s what I like about this tool, despite it’s small size like its cousin, the Crop-A-Dile, it makes mincemeat of any surface.

To use it, make sure you open the little wings; this is a feature so that you can store the Crop-A-Dile Chomper easily — don’t forget to shut the wings back when you’re done.

Wings are shut for easy handing and storage

Wings are open so you can align the paper easily
You have two sizes of corners on the chomper — just flip it for 1/2″ or 1/4″ — you can see on the picture below which is which as its engraved on the metal:

You can clearly see what size you can choose — it’s just a matter of flicking the Chomper to pick the one you want
I’ve just used these bright papers to illustrate the corner sizes — the 1/4″ is obviously smaller and daintier for delicate cards, go for 1/2″ for a chunkier feel

So to recap: it’s sturdy; can tackle thicker cardstock you wouldn’t dream putting through a normal punch, and because it uses a leverage system you don’t need to compress much; the tool does the hard bit for you. It can be tricky to use if you have severe dexterity problem such as arthritis; you need to have a fair grip on it to use it. You have two corner sizes to pick (1/2″ and 1/4″) and don’t forget to empty the little compartment on a regular basis.

Flick that tab open to empty the compartment where the corner bits you’ve cut accumulate, it’s a bit small so you really need to empty it often to avoid it being full.

Pros:

• Easy to use
  • Two sized corners ( 1/2″; 1/4″ )
  • Lightweight yet robust

Cons:

• Some reports of misaligned cutters (mine was ok so that’s probably a rarity)
  • The offcuts compartment is small so it needs to be emptied on a regular basis
  • Although good for people with dexterity problems, you still need a fair grip, so not the ideal tool for people with chronic arthritis
I don’t own the new ones that have been released (different styles of Chompers), so I can’t comment on those, but I’m sure they will do the job as efficiently as the plain corner one.
I’ll have to probably order a couple from an online retailer to play with them; I saw them available also on a well-known shopping channel in the UK.

The following two tabs change content below.
Fabrizio Martellucci has been crafting for over six years and enjoys card making, Artist Trading Cards (ATC) and the odd scrapbook layout. He started paper crafting as a distraction to some health issues and never looked back since when he bought a Hot Off the Press kit getting the addictive paper crafting bug. Fabrizio (but please call him Fab for short) has been producing samples for a few companies to show on Shopping Television in the UK, one of his greeting cards was published on PageMaps 2 by Becky Fleck, and he produced various paper creations for Design Teams as well as being involved with live online paper crafting tutorial streams for The Odd Show Live and his own show Papermood Live. Not happy with only making cards Fab started an article based website called CardmakingNews.com where he stretches his writing muscle about card making tips and other useful posts for cardmakers. You can see a full list of Fab's blogs and other contact infos on his Kimtag page.

Latest posts by Fabrizio Martelluci (see all)

, , ,

16 Responses to We R Memory Keepers’ Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper Craft Tool

Erika M. January 4, 2010 at 9:14 am #

Looks like a pretty cool tool!

Donna VW January 4, 2010 at 10:07 am #

I have it and I love it!!! It is great on chipboard.

Chookarooni January 4, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

I have one also – got it to replace the two punches I was using – love it – and yes you have to check to make sure your cardstock is seated properly but much easier and less hassle.

Mary January 4, 2010 at 12:19 pm #

I have all three of the products you’ve shown. And All three have worked well for me. The one you show as broken, is my oldest corner punch. For me it has always worked well on paper and lighter weight card stock. It’s easy to carry and I use it mostly when making cards. The other punch in that photo works well and you can see where it is cutting if you turn it upside down. Again works well on cardstock and paper. The Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper is also in my tool kit. It works great on chipboard, card stock and paper. I must say the 1/4 corner is a bit off, but still usable. All in all, each works well for me and I like each for certain projects. I’d not want to go without any of them.

Anonymous January 4, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

This is something definitely on my list. I have both Cropadiles (original and the Big Bite) and therefore know how terrific those are. I also have a PaperGator that easily does corners on thicker things or a number of papers at once, however I’d get the Corner Chomper as well since it’s also more portable than the PaperGator (though the PaperGator is not that big).

Cassi January 4, 2010 at 1:15 pm #

I’m a huge fan of this tool and just purchased one of the other decorative chompers in this line. This is a must have, RUN or type quickly to your favorite store.

Shirley Hall January 4, 2010 at 1:17 pm #

I have had mine for awhile and really love it! It cuts thick chipboard like a dream. The good news is they now have some new corners. I have them pictured on my blog is you want to see them. I don’t think they are available in many places yet, but I found a store online that had them. Woo hoo!

Janine January 4, 2010 at 1:27 pm #

I sometimes could kick myself for not getting this Corner Chomper sooner. I finally bought one about a month ago and the very next day I also went out and purchased the Crop A Dile. I was almost hesitant to buy the Corner Chomper as three other corner punches that I did have were a piece of junk. Was beginning to think it was just the nature of the design with corner punches in general—sometimes you got lucky and worked out right but most times it didn’t. It got to the point where I was starting any project that would involve using a corner punch, to use the punch first just to make sure the darn thing would work and not mess up before continuing on with the project.
    With the Corner Chomper I can finally use a corner rounder as a finishing touch, with confidence that it’s going to work right. Love it!!

Patchi January 4, 2010 at 4:05 pm #

I have a yellow version of the purple one you showed and I use it upside down to see where it is cutting _ after I ruined quite a few mats. Maybe I need to add some chompers to my tool set…

rush8888 January 4, 2010 at 4:41 pm #

you didn’t mention the price as a con. those things are expensive. i can’t justify buying one, and if you bought one, you would need all of the others, and at that price, i don’t need to get started. i don’t doubt that it works as well as you say, but unless someone blesses me with them, i am going to have to say no at this point.

stinker January 4, 2010 at 5:23 pm #

I’m not all into tools, but this is one I had to have…love it!! One thing I don’t care for though, and this is also true with the Cropadile, is that if you have small hands like me, it can be hard to grasp both handles at the same time…but once you get it, the chomping is smooth as silk 🙂

Janine January 4, 2010 at 6:31 pm #

24.99 is pricey for a tool like this but, then again, it does cut through different types of other materials that regular corner rounders would poop out on. Plus, I got mine with a 50% off coupon–can’t pass it up with a deal like that. Besides, with the other 3 that I did have, it probably cost me more than 12.50 to buy those…lol Next 50% off coupon, I’m going decorative-edge with the next Chomper.

Etha January 9, 2010 at 8:50 am #

Super cool, I’ve been wanting this one for a while now, good to see in the review that it is really as sturdy as I was hoping! Been braking the other types of corner rounders on a regular basis as I like to make chipboard game cards for kids 😉 This tool is consistently sold out in my town, so I just have to wait I guess.
    Thanks for the review!

Fabrizio January 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm #

Thank you all for your lovely comments and yes it’s a slightly a considered purchase at that price. Also I like its sturdiness being a man I think I tend to break things because probably I’m too forceful, so I have to agree that other flimsier tools might do the trick with a gentler touch ! LOL

QVC in the UK is doing the whole range at the moment and cheaper than other UK online retailers.

I tend no to put the price on items as they fluctuate so much due to market demand I don’t want to disappoint you if it were to go up.

Happy New Year everyone and I’m glad you liked my article, it makes me want to do better next time I need to write a new one.

X
    Fab

Teresa January 9, 2010 at 7:55 pm #

Thanks you, sir, for your thoughts! Based on your recommendation, I’m off to purchase one of my own!

Anonymous January 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

It’s a fine tool- but seriously, $25 bucks for the tool and $10 bucks for the empty plastic carrier case? That seems lame.