Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sanding Block

Reported by Martha Bonneau

When I received the Tim Holtz Sanding Block in a swap that I participated in, my first thought as “great, what am I going to do with this? I’m perfectly happy using the random sanding blocks and bits of sandpaper I steal from my husband’s workbench in the basement!” But while working on a project one day I found myself out of random bits of of pillaged sandpaper, and decided to give the Sanding Block a try. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, and now find that this tool is a staple on my scrap-table. The tool itself is simple enough; it consists of a rubber block that the sandpaper wraps around. The paper is secured by 2 spikes (concealed at each end) that securely hold the sandpaper in place.

The tool itself fits perfectly in the palm of my hand, and is very comfortable to use. It makes sanding textured surfaces and edges very easy, plus no more scraping my knuckles like when using random pieces of sandpaper! Because the sandpaper is wrapped around the Sanding Block, you can apply as much, (or as little), pressure as needed to get the effect you desire. I layered these paper flowers, and with just a couple of passes of the Sanding Block I was able to distress all of the layers.

Pros:

• Ergonomic and easy-to-use.
  • Smaller size than sanding blocks found at hardware store, certainly small enough to toss in scrapping tote.
  • Spikes securely hold sandpaper in place, which makes it easy to sand textured surfaces and edges.

Cons:

• Only comes with one piece of sandpaper. It would have been nice to have at least 1 additional piece of sandpaper included.
  • When I first opened the package, the product had a very, very strong smell and it took several days of letting it air out for it to diminish.
  • It would be nice to have a cover that fit over the sandpaper portion of the tool so it wouldn’t scratch other items in my tool-kit (or my fingers when reaching down into my scrapping tote!)

The Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sanding Block has a MSRP of $5.99. I have found the Sanding Block at my local craft store as well as on-line.

Do you use Tim’s sanding block? Or do you try to get away with random bits of leftover sandpaper? Leave us a comment and let us know!

, , , ,

13 Responses to Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sanding Block

Paula January 19, 2010 at 9:01 am #

I really like mine; like you, I wish it came with more sandpaper.

RosieP January 19, 2010 at 9:55 am #

Martha, I love your test sample, it’s beautiful!

Melanie January 19, 2010 at 10:41 am #

I buy the multi-sandpaper blocks (I know they have a name …?) that have different ‘grit’ on each side for a $1. I just can’t see paying that much for Tim’s block.

margot January 19, 2010 at 10:43 am #

We’ve had a couple of these in our workbench for as long as I can remember – the exact same ones. It’s easy to cut regular sandpaper to fit (crosswise strips work best). We keep one loaded with a coarser sandpaper (to remove material quickly) and one with a fine grit (for finishing). A snap on cover would be great but a storage weight baggie works too.

Froggy January 19, 2010 at 11:40 am #

I love mine and i get the sandpaper refills here…4 pieces for 89 cents…i just changed mine and it was so easy to change. I love Tim Holtz! LOL

Rachel January 19, 2010 at 12:38 pm #

I’d like to try it – has anyone tried using it on polymer clay?

creativearts January 19, 2010 at 1:34 pm #

I love mine! The problem I have is that my husband keeps forgetting to get me a package of sandpaper when he is at the hardware store! This tool really works good with the Coordinations cardstock.

Anonymous January 19, 2010 at 2:24 pm #

Right now at Custom Crops you can pick this up for $4.99 and the refills are right now $ 1.54, this sale ends tomorrow Jan 20 The refills are 4 in a pack.Thought i’d pass this on…

DebbieD January 19, 2010 at 7:42 pm #

I love mine. Use it quite a bit, easy to travel with. I did find the refills and bought some of those as well to keep with me.

Lois aka katesmum January 20, 2010 at 12:04 am #

You can also buy them in any hardware store and there’s lots of sandpaper there too!

Julia from findingbeauty@home and BellePapier January 20, 2010 at 8:47 am #

I love mine!

AimeeInOhio January 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm #

LOVE mine and find it soooo much better than the little sanding blocks I used to use.

Jen January 22, 2010 at 6:08 pm #

I use regular hardware sanding blocks, but the good ones aren’t really any different in price to this tool.
    The sanding surface probably lasts longer but I guess in the long term you don’t have to replace the tool, just the sandpaper so it would all work out in the end.