Scissors Comparison

Reported by Taylor Usry

Today I’m going to compare four different types of scissors and share the results with you. I did an informal poll on Facebook recently to find out what crafters love to use the most, and these four were the most talked about scissors. So I thought I’d test them out and see how they rate!

How Tim Holtz describes the Tonic Non-Stick Micro Serrated scissors:

• Resistant to rust and corrosion
  • Non-stick coating minimizes adhesive build up
  • Extra large Kushgrip Handles for comfort and less fatigue
  • Micro serrated edge great for detail cutting
  • Protective plastic cap for sharp pointed blade
  • Excellent cutting on all types of material including sheet rubber, vinyl, and adhesive backed papers

My thoughts after testing:

• The Kushgrip Handles are most definitely *the* most comfortable handle – very roomy for all sized hands (I even let my DH test them out, and he was pleased with how well his large hands fit in them)
  • Micro serrated edge does work well for detail cutting – on rubber and adhesive backed sheets. I’d stick with the smaller scissors (like the Cutter Bees) for precision cutting of cardstock and paper
  • These scissors don’t seem to “gunk up” as fast as others do when cutting adhesive backed things, which is nice
  • I got a smooth, consistent edge when cutting stamps backed with cling foam
  • As a mother of small children, I appreciate the safety cover included with these

What Stampin’ Up! has to say about their Craft & Rubber Scissors:

• Perfect for trimming rubber stamps before mounting
  • Economical and heavy duty
  • Best rubber-cutting scissors available
  • Short blade length allows more control, 1-3/4″ blade length
  • Cuts to tip, allowing access to very tight corners
  • Over-sized cushioned handles reduce muscle fatigue

My thoughts after testing:

• Handles are not as comfortable, large, or cushy as the Tonic scissors
  • Scissors are a lighter weight than the Tonic scissors
  • Cut through rubber very well, but sometimes leaves jagged edges that require extra trimming (i.e. less control in small spaces)
  • Adhesive builds up faster on the blades

What the box says about the Cutter Bee scissors:

• Comfort grip handles
  • For left and right hand use
  • Ideal for detail cutting with precision tip blade
  • Safety cover

My thoughts after testing:

• Handles are small, but have a non-slip cushion which is nice
  • Amazing precision for cutting flowers, intricate shapes
  • Does well in small, tight spaces and on curves
  • Very durable scissors – I have one pair that has lasted without sharpening for five years, and just bought a second pair
  • Love the safety cover included with these – helps make the scissors easy to find on teh craft table, keeps the sharp tip away from small, inquisitive hands

What the Judinkins website says about their detail scissors:

• Great for cutting small and intricate images for applique

My thoughts after testing:

• The grip on the scissors is not non-slip, which is not as comfortable for me. I think it affords less control over the scissors while cutting
  • Smaller blades allow for easier access into detailed areas for cutting
  • Edges that the scissors leave behind do not appear as smooth as with the Cutter Bee scissors

To wrap all of this up – I think all four pairs of these scissors are excellent for craft use. Each one does do a good job, but my personal favorites are the Tim Holtz Tonic cutters and the Cutter Bee scissors. I also like that these two are widely available both online and in retail stores. Do you have a favorite pair? Share some information with us – we’d love to hear your thoughts!

The following two tabs change content below.
CC Contributor

CC Contributor

Craft Critique is delighted to welcome a variety of talented industry professionals as contributors to share their expertise with our readers.

, , , , , ,

20 Responses to Scissors Comparison

RosieP February 8, 2010 at 9:21 am #

Your review couldn’t be more timely for me; I need to buy a new scissors and I’ve been wondering how the Cuttebee scissors compares to the Stampin Up scissors. Thank you so much for helping me to make my decision.

Patchi February 8, 2010 at 12:29 pm #

I love my cutter bee! I haven’t needed to buy any others. I would probably buy another cutter bee when these give out – has anyone tried the non-stick version?

Molly Smith February 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm #

I am a scissorsholic! Have about three dozen placed all around the house in every room-drawer, in my purse, tote and car – for easy access and about 8 pair at my desk. Seriously!

I used the Tim Holtz in one of his classes at Summer CHA and immediately bought them when I got home. I have all of these but use Tim Holtz more often than any. They are EASY to make straight cuts. I do use the CutterBee for cutting small intricate pieces and another favorite is Fiskars Non-Stick.

Thanks for sharing your review!

Squelly February 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

I totally agree with you on the Tonic scissors & Cutter bee – I have 4-5 pairs of various scissors for crafting and I ONLY reach for the Tonic or CB!! The Tonic scissors literally cut like butter, I LOVE LOVE LOVE them 🙂

Expressions of a Creative Mind February 8, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

I do and I totally agree with you!! My 2 favs are the same as yours. I just bought the TH ones though.

Conniecrafter February 8, 2010 at 12:54 pm #

I have been wanting some good detail scissors, and have been thinking about getting the cutterbee, I think you have made my mind up 🙂 thanks

Janine February 8, 2010 at 12:58 pm #

Love my Cutter Bee scissors! And it’s great for what you say—cutting out intricate details (which I hated doing up until owning the Cutter Bee’s). I haven’t tried the Tim Holtz scissors yet but I do plan on getting them someday. The only reason I’ve held off is because I have small hands. Typically I stay away from any kind of tool with large handles because the handle ends up flopping around or takes more coordination, effort, and finger griping pressure to hold it right. Often times it’s enough to take the fun out of what I’m trying to do.
    Thanks for the review!! Great info!!

Jen February 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

I have the cutter bee scissors and would definitely recommend them for fussy cutting work.

SpAzzGiRL February 8, 2010 at 5:11 pm #

Love this review!
    I have quite a few scissors as well but my Cutterbees are my least favorite. It may just depend on what you cut though.
    Very thorough…LOVE IT!

Lisa in MI February 8, 2010 at 5:14 pm #

The tonics also cut thru metal. They are non-stick (which is why they resist gunk & clean up well. I thought Tim Holtz said in a class I took that they are self sharpening also. Not positive on that, though I have had mine for years and they still cut like the first day.

Julia February 8, 2010 at 5:28 pm #

You summed it up! I love my Tonic Scissors and my little Cutterbees!

Jan Castle February 8, 2010 at 5:59 pm #

I totally agree…I pass the same info on to anyone asking me about scissors…Tim Holtz and Cutter Bee are the absolute best. I would like to add the Fiskars small orange handled scissors with the curved ends…allows you to get into small curved areas and still see where you are cutting – when you need to cut in the opposite direction and want to see, you just turn the scissors over. Not good for straight cutting – but you will love them for curves!
    Jan Castle

Jan Castle February 8, 2010 at 6:07 pm #

Answer to Cutter Bee question: I do a LOT of cutting and have both the regular and the coated Cutter Bee scissors…I prefer the non-stick coated ones.
    Answer to Big Handles on Tim Holtz scissors: I also have small hands and thought the same when I saw them…HOWEVER, Tim’s scissors have a great feel (not too big) and are easy to grip, etc.
    Jan Castle

Barb February 8, 2010 at 10:18 pm #

Are the TH the same as the Kai scissors that I have heard about. I have some unmounted rubber stamps that I purchased a while back and made the mistake of putting them on the mounting foam and I am not able to cut them. Guess I should have cut them out before mounting them on the foam…LOL. Which would be the best for this?

MisfitGirl February 8, 2010 at 10:23 pm #

I love the Cutter Bee, it was my first purchase I made when looking for precision scissors and I find myself going back to them again and again.

Kristi B. February 8, 2010 at 10:52 pm #

The Cutterbees & Tonics are my faves too. I have loads of scissors, but these are the ones I really use.

Anonymous February 9, 2010 at 7:36 am #

I have a pair of the Kai scissors which I use mostly for cutting rubber. But the two pair I use the most are the Fiskars Softouch Spring action micro tip craft scissors. Very good to get into tight places. The other pair is Westcott Titanium 4″ curved blade scissors — great for cutting curved lines. I’ve been using both of these for several years now and they seem as sharp as they ever were.

Makaren

Margaret Kane Ward February 9, 2010 at 8:01 am #

As a lurker on your blog, I had to come out of lurk-mode to say that while I, too, own several different pairs of scissors (and I, also, keep a pair in the car ’cause you never know when you’ll need ’em), my favorites are the TH scissors and the Cutter-bee non-stick. I have a couple of 10+ years old Fiskars craft scissors, but my fav’s are the same as yours. GMTA!!

crankbunny February 9, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

love my small cutterbees – if only they’d make a mid-size 6/7inch. their blades (the titanium pinky ones) are really clean and slide perfectly on some papers.

Taylor February 9, 2010 at 4:25 pm #

Barb — I use both the TH scissors and the Stampin Up ones for cutting rubber that is mounted on foam. I always place my unmounted rubber on the cling cushion and then trim. The difference, I have noticed, is that the SU scissors build up “gunk” from the adhesive faster than the TH ones do, and I don’t think they are as precise. They (SU) do clean up quite easily with a baby wipe though. My TH ones are fairly new, and I do already love them more than my SU ones!! I’ve cut several sets with them and have no complaints 🙂 HTH!