Claudine Hellmuth Studio Line

Reported by Jenny Chesnick

Claudine Hellmuth Studio Line is part of an artist quality paint collection by Ranger. They are semi-gloss, highly pigmented and come in 15 different shades to choose from. They are acid free & archival safe. You can use a color chart provide by Ranger to mix the 15 standard colors into 51 custom colors using the PDF file provided HERE.
I was introduced to Claudine paints from an artist/scrapbooker friend this past summer. I have always been a big fan of the Adirondack Dabbers from Ranger. I will admit I was a little put off by the “artist quality” label. I was not so sure I would even use them if I had purchased them. Well was I wrong! While the average MSRP is a bit higher for the Studio Line over the Adirondack the easy of use and difference in quality on my projects had me sold after my first bottle. The finish of the Studio paints is much different then your average craft store paint. I tried to use a comparable paint color to show the variance in finish and color of the two paints.
On the left piece of chipboard is the Studio Line and on the right is the Adirondack line. You can see the Studio line is nice and smooth as opposed to the matte finish of the Adirondack paint.
While I have not ventured into an artistic use for these paints, I do use them regularly on chipboard. The paint gives my projects such a nice sheen and does not soak into the chipboard like craft paint. I have used Glimmer Mist & Colorbox chalks over the paint as well with no issue. On the banners below I used the Traditional Tan and Blank Canvas (white). The colors are very true, and the white is nice and bright!

Pros:

• Semi-Gloss finish
  • Easy of use and care
  • Does not dry out, nice creamy texture in the bottle
  • Needs no gesso or primer on chipboard

Cons:

• Small color choice
  • Cost, Average MSRP is $5.50
  • Availability
  • 2 oz size
Do you own any of these fabulous paints? I would love to see your projects you have used them on. I had a chance to speak with Claudine at CHA and she showed me how to use her new Extra Time Studio Medium with her Studio Line paints to extend the drying time. She was demonstrating how to use that with stamping. So tell me, what do you think?

, , , ,

9 Responses to Claudine Hellmuth Studio Line

Kelly Massman May 16, 2010 at 11:06 am #

I don’t own any of those paints but they are so pretty! I love that green! but all look nice. Thanks for the great projects!

Lynda May 16, 2010 at 11:21 am #

I am real interested since you said you don’t have to use gesso to prime the chipboard. Have you tried the paint on regular cardboard such as cereal boxes etc? I’d love to know if you have to prime it. Thanks.

Lynda May 16, 2010 at 11:22 am #

That’s great that you don’t have to prime chipboard. What about regular cardboard such as cereal boxes? Do you still have to prime them?

Debe Leone May 16, 2010 at 11:37 am #

I recently took a class from Claudine in St Louis. Her enthusiasm is as true as the integrity of her products. I loved using her products in the class and will seek them out for home use.

Carrol May 16, 2010 at 11:41 am #

Even though these paints cost a litte more you save tons of money. If you are like me you want every color. On her blog at http://claudinehellmuth.blogspot.com/ she has a chart you can download to expand the 15 original colors to 51 colors.

janine May 16, 2010 at 1:22 pm #

15 colors does seem like a small color choice but having the possibility of creating up to 51 colors without having to spend the money for 51 jars seems like a better deal in the long run.
    I haven’t tried these paints yet but I do keep up with all of the videos available with what people create with them. It’s on my *someday* list for now. My money always seems to come up short compared to how much stuff I want to get….lol
    Thanks for the review and also the link to the PDF Color Chart file!!

StampinCathy May 16, 2010 at 5:01 pm #

I want to try these. I love the idea not using gesso. That will save time.

mrschez May 16, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

Lynda, I don’t see why not. I have never used them on cereal boxes, but I have on a ton of different companies chipboard and almost 1 coat covers well, two is just divine! 🙂

Lindsey May 16, 2010 at 8:16 pm #

Thanks for the review. My lss just started carrying this product, so I was curious about them. Now I know!