Pearl Pens by Viva-Decor

Reported by Jenny Barnett Rohrs

One of the things I love about CHA is the chance to see new products rolled out before they hit the stores, and Viva-Decor didn’t disappoint last January. I came home with these cool “Pearl Pens” to try out.

These are similar to Tulip Dimensional Fashion paints which you may have seen in stores. These paper and fabric “puffy” paints dry and remain 3-dimensional, and are washable, too.

One of the bonuses of Viva-Decor’s brand is that they have just the right viscosity- thick enough to hold a nice, domed, 1/2 pearl shape, but not so thick that you get those annoying peaks and spikes.

The first thing I tried was making a series of graduated half-rounds:

See how they are perfectly domed? Really awesome. I’ve never gotten these kind of results using the other brand.

I also have to comment on the colors. What is not really that clear in the picture is that you have a nice selection of “plain” glossy finish (like the turquoise blue and red), “pearl” finish (like the yellow, dark green, and purple) and a “metallic” finish (copper, gold and bronze). The metallic and pearl finishes are nicely metallic and have a nice shimmery glow.

For my first project, I decided to try a card, using the dots as an embellishment:

I kind of got carried away! I started with just embellishing the tail….but then adding the little dots was so much fun, I did the whole bird.

It was at this point I noticed that my turquoise paint was a little runnier than the others, and that the color had separated a bit. I got some running when I put the dots too close together.
On the whole, the “plain” colors seemed a bit looser/runnier than the pearls and the metallics.

Check out the dimension in the side view:

The dots really pop nicely off of the surface. When I did get little peaks, I just tapped the table and they leveled right out.

Another bonus: in all 13 colors I tried, not ONE had a gummy nozzled or clogged ONCE during my whole playtime. This is also a big deal, as usually when I’m using a dimensional paint the nozzle gums up and you have to keep a straight pin on hand. No clogging tip = happier crafters!

Next I tried using the Pearl Pens on fabric:

I was really pleased with how they performed on this twill. I just made sure the tip of the nozzle was in contact with the twill before I started squeezing, and those perfect little pearls popped right into place.

The website says that if you let them dry for 24 hours, you can then launder them as along as the temp stays below 86 degrees (I guess that makes it a cold-water wash then!)

Here again is a side view so you can see just how dimensional those big red drops in the eyes are:

For a quick and simple way to add dimension, Pearl Pens are a new fave!

Pros:

• Good price point (around $5.95 each) especially when compared to pearl embellishments
  • Washable
  • Good for paper or fabric
  • Nice saturated colors
  • Easy to get good results
  • No noticeable clogging with the nozzle

Cons:

• Might be hard to find in a brick-and-morter store as of yet
  • Pricey compared to other dimensional paints
  • Will wrinkle your paper slightly

How do you like to use dimensional paints? We’d love to hear from you!

Disclosure

, , ,

17 Responses to Pearl Pens by Viva-Decor

1. Shaz Wall May 17, 2010 at 7:28 am #

Very cool I love these type on pearls. I really like the ones I have used but it’s amazing that these can be used on fabric. And the colors are fun too!

2. StampinCathy May 17, 2010 at 9:19 am #

Amazing Pens! Thanks for a great review.

3. Savannah O'Gwynn May 17, 2010 at 11:31 am #

WOW–these are super cool! Your pearl beads look amazing! Great review–now I want some!

4. Becky May 17, 2010 at 11:32 am #

This stuff looks like something I would use.. just amazing.

5. rush8888 May 17, 2010 at 11:38 am #

gosh! so cool! i love the idea that the dots of paint can be put right on the item. who wants to fumble with individual pearl drops and glue? i am going to look into buying this product.

6. Big Mamma~ a.k.a. Mary S May 17, 2010 at 11:41 am #

What a great product. Would love to play with them also. Thanks for always showing off great things.

7. Rebecca May 17, 2010 at 11:48 am #

great post! It sounds like these might work really great as a substitute for half back pearls!

Can I ask … what kind of tip do these have? Can you add a picture showing their tips?

8. Janet Castle May 17, 2010 at 12:26 pm #

Boy would I love to get my hands on these pens!!! I ALWAYS get the little peaks with my other stuff…grrrrr!
    Jan Castle

9. Dawn May 17, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

These pens are right up my alley. I love to add bling and it seems I never have just the right sized bling. These pens will allow me to create “designer” bling.

10. sucor May 17, 2010 at 4:19 pm #

I’ve only used dimensional paint on fabric. I love adding bling to my items – it would be great to be able to make my own in the colors and sizes I choose.. Thanks for reviewing these pens. They are now a must try item.

11. Jackie May 17, 2010 at 6:02 pm #

Love, love, love these!!! I just ordered 5 more colors after seeing your post. They work exactly as promised, and you can even color them with Copic markers. The Glass Effect Pens are wonderful, too!

12. janine May 17, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

Honestly, I would not know about half the stuff out here if it weren’t for this site! These Pearl Pens look so cool. What amazing results! Thanks for another great review from Craft Critique!

13. Lindsey May 17, 2010 at 8:38 pm #

These paints look fabulous! I like the idea of making any size I want.

14. Bonnie in SC May 17, 2010 at 11:22 pm #

I really liked using these pens. They were really easy to use. I just wish they came in more colors.

15. Axes DesigNs May 18, 2010 at 4:20 pm #

Can somebody tell me where you buy it!!! I need it so much!!!!

16. Anonymous May 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm #

I love, love these pens. I used them on my Birthday cards, etc. Just great. I want more!!! I just have 4 colors right now, but I hope to get more.
    Charlene
    cmlebel@sbcglobal.net

17. Kristina March 11, 2012 at 11:08 am #

I have all the Ranger Perfect Pearls…wondering how those compare? Thanks for the review and chance to win some.