Armour Etch

Reported by Erin Bassett
I’m a big fan of creating personalized gifts for people – things they couldn’t get anywhere else. It really shows them how much you care. Using Armour Etch on glass products allows you to do just that!
Photo by Armour Etch
The first test I wanted to use it on was on a mirror. I started by washing off the glass container with dish soap and water to remove any dirt or other residues that could be on there.
Next, I used my Cricut Expression to cut out a design on vinyl (using the new Cindy Loo cartridge). I weeded out the areas of the design that I wanted to etch and then I adhered the vinyl to my glass jar using transfer tape.
I then needed to apply the etching cream to the mirror. The directions say to shake well, but since the product is so thick I’m not sure how effective my shaking was. Using a foam brush I applied the etching cream to the mirror so that it thickly covered my design and overlapped with the vinyl. Per the directions, I spread it up and down, and left to right. I let it sit for about 5 minutes.
Once the 5 minutes was up I rinsed off the etching cream off the mirror and then dried it off with a paper towel.
I also tried it on a glass Yankee Candle jar. I followed the same steps as above (using the Wall Decor & More and Home Accents Cricut cartridges) although since my candle jar was round I did rotate it so that gravity wouldn’t help the cream slide off any part of the design.
It’s such a fast and easy product to use, however children should NOT use this product. The jar even states that you should be over 18 years old to use it.
Pros:
  • Quickly and permanently etches on glass
  • Can be used with vinyl to create custom designs
Cons:
  • Contains a lot of dangerous stuff! For adult use only (keep away from pets too!)
  • Cannot be used on all brands of Pyrex glassware
Cost: $15.36 at Amazon for a 10 oz bottle (which was more then enough for these projects)
Have you had a chance to etch on glass yet? Show us the link to your project…we’d love to take a look!

, , , , ,

7 Responses to Armour Etch

construction_julie June 1, 2010 at 8:07 am #

How timely! I’m looking to etch the sides of a baking dish for a friend getting married. Thanks for the information.

Skittl1321 June 1, 2010 at 8:21 am #

Wow- your results turned out MUCH better than mine, the etching was so faint, I ended up just throwing the glass away ๐Ÿ™

I had tried something I saw on SCS about embossing on the glass, and then etching, then taking off the embossing powder- NOT easy to do. The decals/stencils seems to be a much better idea.

Another note- not everyone seemed to know this, you can reuse the stuff, so you don’t need to throw it out after you use it.

kiku June 1, 2010 at 9:02 am #

just wanted to reiterate that this stuff is nasty. WEAR GLOVES and EYEWEAR! from the MSDS
    “causes severe burns and fluoride-like burns which may not be immediately evident. (read: it doesn’t always FEEL like a burn but seeds out deep tissue and bone). Skin contact may cause hypocalcemia by skin absorption. The fluoride components of this product can penetrate the skin and destroy the deep tissue layers, including bone tissue. This damage to the body’s tissues may continue for days, as the fluoride ion reacts with the calcium in the skin and bone. Severe skin-contact exposures (especially when the skin contamination exceeds 160 cm2) can cause hypocalcemia, a life-threatening lowering of serum calcium in the body.”
    Sorry, I’m paranoid – my brother is lucky to have his fingertips after using a flouride acid two years ago.
    I’m also bitter because it doesn’t work on fused glass ; /

Mari June 1, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

You got much better results than I did too! I did the whole embossing/etching/removing EP thing from SCS too – NOT EASY AT ALL! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I did end up liking the results, but I went over it many, many times to get a decent looking image.
    Of course I discovered later that I should not have tried to do the whole glass… *sigh*
    Anyway, here’s a link to the project:

mahuntington June 1, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

I bought my jar at Michaels with a 50% off coupon then bought pretty glasses at Dollar Tree. I had read several blogs that said that 5 minutes wasn’t long enough and to leave it on thick for 25 minutes. I made a name initial with my Cricut and vinyl and proceeded to try it for the first time for my daughter’s BD. I was eleated with the results. My family thinks I’m awesome! Haha! I did it again for a friend’s birthday and put a little battery candle in the dollar glass with marbles. It turned out so beautiful. I found a new way to impress my friends and not spend much money. I love it!

CreatedByWendy June 2, 2010 at 12:11 am #

I love this stuff! I etched a steam engine train on a 3ft x 3ft mirror with Armor Etch. I’d LOVE to share a picture but can’t figure out how.

Susie October 19, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

Thank you! I wanted to use it on a Yankee Candle Jar but wasn’t sure if it would work, since I’ve tried it on Pyrex and it doesn’t work on that. I’m going to go ahead and try it now. ๐Ÿ™‚