Reported by Lisa Fulmer
Vintage Groove™ is a collection of charms, beads and jewelry findings by Making Memories, designed by Jill Schwartz. The variety of materials was quite impressive – metal, fabric, glass, stone, shell, resin, words and letters. The overall look of the pieces was a nice style that combined antique with organic. Many of the packaged combinations of baubles and strands were great “80/20” craft projects…it’s 80% completed for you, then you just add 20% of personal style to call it your own handmade creation. Taaa-daaa!
I started with using some charms to embellish my needlefelted and embroidered panel, which indeed added charm to my work!
I liked how mixable-n-matchable everything was; even though the contents of the package on the left would have made a lovely necklace on it’s own (just use a pair of beading pliers to link the strands together and add a clasp), I chose instead to combine parts of it with pieces from other packages to create a choker I like even better on the right.
I found that the silver seed bead strands wrapped around my wrist twice perfectly, so I added a clasp and two other Vintage Groove charms…including an “L” for Lisa, of course, to make a cute bracelet.
Lastly, I linked some beads and charms together to embellish a greeting card – for those times when your handmade card IS the gift in itself!
- Easy to mix-n-match pieces; a lot of the guesswork of what goes together is done for you, so you can create something as simple or as complex as you like
- The collection has everything you need, including pliers and a variety of jump rings
- Something for everyone – the styles range from bohemian to delicate to girlie to chunky, yet all have the same vintage groove (DING – ooooh, now I get it…!)
- The quality of some of the pieces was lacking. I found a number of imperfections, like how bits were soldered, knotted or glued together, or bubbles in the resin coatings.
- Excess packaging – the long, double-folded cardboard backers were not necessary for the long strands (sorry, excess packaging is a little pet peeve of mine)
Making Memories will be giving one lucky reader a collection of Vintage Groove jewelry by Jill Schwartz. This collection is perfect for a first time jewelry maker because there is no beading required. All the pieces have been handpicked by Jill. All you have to do it pick your strand, pick your pendant or charm, and assemble.
To enter to win this prize, you need to make a comment on this post. To comment, just click below this article where it says “crafters have an opinion on this post” and answer this question…
What pieces of the Making Memories Vintage Groove line do you like the most? What would you love to work with?
One comment per person, per Vendor Spotlight: Making Memories Vintage Groove article (this is 1 of 4), please. Winner will be randomly chosen on Sunday, June 27th and announced here on the blog.