Cardstock Comparison

Reported by: Erin Bassett
With so many brands of premium cardstock out on the market now, I thought it would be nice to really look closely at some of the major brands and see if there was any big differences between them.
I decided to compare the ones I use most often: American Crafts, Bazzill, and Stampin’ Up. Here’s some of the similarities and differences you’ll find when purchasing them. You can download the chart below here:
Since I’m comparing them using the stash I have on hand, I don’t have all of the same textures for them. So, I was curious to see if that would play a part in my testing. I used the “orange peel” textured Bazzill cardstock, the “smooth” Stampin’ Up cardstock and the only texture that the American Crafts cardstock comes in (which is similar to a canvas texture).
Now as far as actual use goes, I didn’t really notice any major differences between them when I cut out some die cuts with my Cricut. I cut out the same shapes using the same settings and they all cut out about the same….not really a surprise since they are all the same weight of cardstock. (Although the Stampin’ Up cardstock seems a bit stiffer then the others.)
I also tested how Copic markers would work on them. As expected, I didn’t notice a difference.
One other test I preformed on the cardstocks is how well they folded. Nothing ticks me off more then paper that cracks when it’s folded. -It can make cards and other paper crafts look a bit tacky. Well, I’m happy to report that none of these cardstocks did that!!
Basically I think one’s choice between these cardstocks would boil down to the color and texture of cardstock needed for a craft project and how much it costs.
Pros:
  • American Crafts cardstock tends be the most inexpensive
  • Bazzill cardstock has a huge variety of colors and textures
  • Stampin Up has smooth cardstock that is perfect for stamping on
  • All three cardstocks preformed about the same
  • All three cardstocks are available for purchase online.
Cons:
  • With so many great papers you may run out of space!
Resources:
Do YOU have a favorite cardstock? Tell us what it is and why it’s your favorite.

, , , , , , ,

24 Responses to Cardstock Comparison

Anonymous July 1, 2010 at 7:23 am #

Was wondering which cartridge the frog came from. He is mighty cute. Thanks for the review!

Carrie July 1, 2010 at 7:40 am #

DCWV cardstock is nice for the price, since you can usually use a coupon at the craft store! However, sometimes the white core is not what I’m looking for. It’s great for solid background pieces though!

I also sometimes get Archivers cardstock when I am looking for a specific color. It’s nice to match the exact color in the store.

lenainwonderland July 1, 2010 at 8:35 am #

I am loving PTI cardstock. Nice heavy weight, gorgeous colors and goes well with Memento inks which I love. I use PTI for white and colorful, but do prefer Bazzill for Kraft. PTI kraft is nice, but Bazzill has a nicer shade I think.

Cheryl July 1, 2010 at 8:43 am #

I love all the Stampin Up colors. I have found, however, that SU cardstock fades a lot. For cards, that’s fine but I no longer use SU cardstock for scrapbooks. Anyone else have problems with cardstock fading?

Erica Hettwer July 1, 2010 at 10:07 am #

I’ve actually been able find and buy American Crafts cardstock by the sheet. 🙂

Smriti July 1, 2010 at 11:26 am #

When I contacted Bazzill, they told me Bazzill Smoothies was 70 lb.

Elizabeth *^..^* July 1, 2010 at 11:29 am #

I make mostly cards and 3-D items and prefer Stampin’ Up! It’s wonderful for projects and card. Stiffer than competitors and love to stamp on it. My preference by far!

rosegarden - Laura Fiskateer 5939 July 1, 2010 at 11:38 am #

I hope you continue this comparison with other cardstocks out there. I would have like have seen some comparison with Coreindinations and some of the cheaper lines that the Big Box stores carry

Erin Bassett July 1, 2010 at 12:23 pm #

Thanks everyone for your comments so far!

Anonymous: I love that frog, it’s on the “Sweethearts” Cricut cartridge.

Cheryl: Interesting about the fading!! I’m going to look into that!

Erica: Where’d you get it by the sheet?

Smriti: I contacted Bazzill for this article and they said it was 80#. Maybe they changed it recently.

Laura: So glad you’re interested in this…I’ll check if we’re able to do further comparisons.

Amy July 1, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

Great review! Would you add PTI in? Thanks!

LisaVB July 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

We carry ALL of the American Crafts cardstock by the sheet. We have them in our online as well as B&M store. http://www.awalkdownmemorylane.net

Another cardstock to consider is the Core’dinations Cardstock. They have a wide range of colors, plus they’re so much fun to distress to get another color!

toothteri July 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

Really appreciate the review and all the comments- so many choices of cardstock. it is great to have a starting point ehen we are looking.

Anita July 1, 2010 at 6:53 pm #

I love Paper Temptress paper. The store carries a wide varitey of papers. My favorite are the ones that sparkle. The best part is that you can buy by the sheet or a pack of 5 sheets or 10 sheets so you can mix and match just what you want.

GrammaR July 1, 2010 at 7:40 pm #

I’m just getting started with the stockpiling and not the using! I have great plans but, well, summer finally arrived. I’ve got DCWV, Bazzill, Core’dinations and Neenah Solar white for stamping. I don’t have enough experience to have a favorite. I want to try PTI paper. Thanks for the review.

Jan Castle July 1, 2010 at 9:10 pm #

I like Nennah, Solar White, as well as their other colors…great for Copics and anything else I care to make…I buy it in a package of 250
    Jan Castle

Jen July 2, 2010 at 2:46 am #

I use a generic 300gsm white cardstock for my card bases. It is very sturdy and smooth. (Roman Print for any Aussie readers, I buy it in 50 packs online.)

I also like Papertrey Ink for coloured cardstock. It is very good quality and lovely and smooth for stamping. But as a metric user, the size can be annoying at times.

janine July 2, 2010 at 1:13 pm #

Great review!! I haven’t tried Stampin Up cardstock yet but it is on my list. A couple of other favorites that I have are Gina K Designs—love her line of Pure Luxury cardstock. Nice, quality 120lb paper. The other one I like is Couture Cardstock–Detail Blending Paper. What I really enjoy about Couture’s website is the different ways you can shop for paper—either by weight, color, finish, or collections. Plus, both Gina K and Couture Cardstock arrive very well packaged and the shipping charges are not outrageous.

Debbie H July 2, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

These 3 are my favorites. The only other CS I buy is Paper Trey Ink, especially their white for stamping, it’s very heavy and works well with my Copic coloring.

Kelly July 2, 2010 at 8:10 pm #

I’ve bought American Crafts cardstock by the sheet at Scrappin’ Grannies (website), and I know it’s also available by the sheet at Frantic Stamper (website).

Dee Tollaksen July 3, 2010 at 9:40 am #

Erin, all cardstock has a grain in it, and therefore will crack when folding if you are working against the grain and neglect to score the paper. Just depends on which direction you cut the paper and fold it. SU paper grain goes the long way, so when you fold the 8.5 length into 4.25 you are working “with” the grain. I can’t speak about other brands, but probably the same is true.

mrschez July 3, 2010 at 11:44 am #

AC is indeed sold by the sheet. ScrapGal carries all colors and I personally prefer their cardstock.

They are also coming out with Kraft yippie!

Sharon Field / Created By You July 4, 2010 at 5:06 am #

Although I like all the cardstocks you have reviewed, I do Love Stampin’ Up! for stamping on.. it is much better because of the ultra smooth surface and it is solid color through and through.. no white core. Thanks for your thorough review!

marisela July 4, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

I have a question, I’m trying to print invitations on 120lb cardstock paper that i got from kmart.

The only problem is that every time i use a rotary cutter, the edges seem to fade a little, is it the paper or the ink? the printer i have is a xerox phaser 6280.

Thank you!

Judy K July 6, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Can someone do a comparison of how the various brands of cardstock cut on the Silhouette please?