Clip-It-Up Organizer

Reported by Peggy Marsh

Do you like to be organized?  I do.. I like to know where everything is when I need it. Does that mean my work area is always neat and tidy… a big resounding NO!  However, I’m always on the hunt for things that help me keep my craft grotto very organized. And when it’s clean-up time, everything has a place.

I happened upon Clip-It-Up (manufactured by Simply Renee) at my local scrapbook store. I was a bit skeptical of it’s size… was I willing to give up that much counterspace to house this unit? What would I gain?

Well, being the visual person I am, and thinking this could be a good solution for all those little things I collect, I thought I’d give it a try. After all, I could easily see all of my special embellishments if they were sitting within eyeshot on top of my craft table. Maybe I wouldn’t buy duplicates and use the stuff I have if I really knew what I had on hand (you never do that, right?). Geez… that in itself could pay for the Clip-It-Up.

Once home, I quickly assembled both the base unit and upper units (sold separately). I emptied a 7-drawer storage cabinet and housed everything on my carousel. This was going to be great, so I wandered back to the scrapbook store the next day to buy more clips.

I did have several clips that were broken in the box that I purchased. But with a call to Renee’s Customer Service Department, these were quickly replaced and in my hands within just a few days.  Customer Service was a pleasure to work with.

And here’s my unit… I still have lots of room left for more craft supplies…

Pros:

• Clip-It-Up is a unique visual solution for organizing and storing all types of craft supplies (think sewing supplies, quilt fabrics like fat quarters, scrapbook and card embellishments).
  • This system eliminates the hassle of searching for things stored away in boxes, containers, drawers.
  • Supplies can be sorted and arranged by type (florals, seasons, holidays, etc.).
  • Storage stand features a circular design with a rotating metal ring.
  • The base and upper tier each come with metal swivel clips that hold craft supplies.
  • Includes section tabs (heavy-duty black vinyl) with do-it-yourself labels.
  • The top has an easy-to-carry handle.
  • Simply Renee has excellent customer service.
  • Very easy to assemble both the base and upper units. Total assembly time took less than 10 minutes.

Cons:

• Several of the clips included were broken and mangled and couldn’t be used.
  • Extra clips are pricey (retails for $8.00 for 25 clips)
  • More clips with the purchase of the carousel would be desirable.

What do you use for your embellishment organization? Leave us a comment and let us know!

Disclosure

Comprised of four 2-hour classes, Scrapbook Design & You® is taught by certified instructors who will guide you through the process of designing scrapbook pages effortlessly! Each course focuses on specific scrapbooking techniques and theory developed to maximize the use of color, design, journaling, handwriting and embellishing into all your layouts. Register for classes today and begin preserving your most cherished memories for generations to come.

The following two tabs change content below.
CC Contributor

CC Contributor

, , , , ,

13 Responses to Clip-It-Up Organizer

Maureen August 16, 2010 at 8:08 am #

I throw all mine in a drawer! This way, I just mosey around in the drawer and maybe find something better to use then what I had first planned. Those clips can be bought at Ikea for a fraction of the cost.

Linda F. August 16, 2010 at 9:42 am #

How I would love to have a Clip-It-Up. But, alas, it’s just way to big for my tiny scrap area. I don’t have the desk-top space…BUT, I have wall place. One day at Target there was a cute towel bar on one of the clearance end caps. So I took that, and stuck it on the wall in my area. I bought binder rings and badge clips. Fastened the clips to the rings; hung the rings on the bar…and voila…a wall mounted clip-it-up!

Patricia August 16, 2010 at 9:54 am #

To Linda F. I love your creative idea of the towel bar!!! I am a military wife and sometimes buying something for my things can be a bit costly, and takes up to much room in the small area that we have in our housing for my crafts..LOL, that is an awesome Idea! And like Maureen, I also have mine in a drawer, I think of it like a treasure box, I forget I have some stuff sometimes and love “refinding” items!

rilojane August 16, 2010 at 11:05 am #

I’m with Maureen… big pile o’ stuff in a drawer. It seems like I’m more creative when I have to rummage.
    I have a utensil rack for my kitchen almost identical to the Clip-It-Up. It was fun at first, but now I want CLEAN COUNTERS. I’m getting big into having stuff put away, out of the way.

Phyllis Strickland August 16, 2010 at 11:29 am #

I have seen this at various rubber stamp conventions and always walk away thinking it is way too much money for what it is. I almost caved in the a year ago, but then I realized I would need a lot more clips and they are pricey. If you have plenty of money to spend, I am sure it is great.

You will find many ideas to make you own that will fit your space and save money:
    http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/ – search “clip it up”
    Splitcoast Stampers has quite a items if you search the forums.

I have seen similar clips at home improvement stores for a lot less.

judy anderson August 16, 2010 at 11:54 am #

One other con for me is clips are hard. The manipulation of opening the clip is difficult if you have arthritis in your thumb.

Shirley August 16, 2010 at 11:54 am #

I have 2 Clif-it-Up Organizers, a wall mount, and a swing arm. I love them! I hang my paper scraps (assorted by color) on one. The other I use for grunge paper scraps, fabrics, chipboard, etc. The swing arm model I use for holding photos, embellishments, etc. of projects I am working on. I just place them in plastic bags — they are terrific for keeping all the things I have collected for the project close at hand.

Joyce August 16, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

I use my Clip It Up (two tier) and have found that it maximizes clip use to hang two similar items back to back. I also label both sides of the tabs so it’s easy to see the categories from either direction. Recently, I began using Ziploc snack or sandwich bags for embellishments when I’ve inadvertently thrown away the package or to combine small items. I love not only being able to see what I have to create with, but also no more double purchasing! This is one of the most innovative products you could purchase.

Chookarooni August 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm #

I love my clip it up – bought it a level at a time with coupon to LSS which made it more affordable – have my clear stamps hung on it – larger sets on bottom and smaller on top and yes I also hang the sets back to back (ie two sets on a clip!)

Jan Castle August 16, 2010 at 12:43 pm #

I have two and the only time I have used them is to display my ‘cards to sell’…it spins so easy for people to see the cards which are in plastic sleeves…150 cards to a spinner. HOWEVER, I had to use pliers to open the clips and so, I have decided to use baskets this year. And, yes I do have arthritis in my thumbs…probably would not be a problem for others. Anyone want to buy mine? LOL
    Jan Castle

Siri Fjørtoft, kaBoks August 16, 2010 at 2:18 pm #

I´ve ordered the new floor model of the Clip-it-up. At the moment it is somewhere betweeen Oslo and Ålesund. I can not wait to hang all my kits from Magpie club, my ippity stamps, all my Primas, and Thickers, and maybe I´ll have one level for cards for sale..

I´m also going to have the towel rods to store my punches… I can not wait to get into my new studio!

Raven August 18, 2010 at 12:22 am #

I LOVE my clip it up! I just recently changed how I store all of my embellishments on it (color groupings)and have been using much more of my hoarde since I started using the clip it up. Lucky for me my LSS has the extra clips for about half of what you paid.

BlingQueen November 29, 2011 at 11:42 am #

I used a shelf I got for $5, drilled holes in the triangle wooden brackets on each side under the shelf board. (Kinda hard to explain without a picture). At any rate, I inserted a 1/4′ welded steel rod (about $3 at the hardware store)through the holes I drilled and use that as a wall mounted clip it up. I buy the Clip It Up clips, but have used other items as well. It’s sturdier, more attractive, cheaper and doesn’t take up the counter space that my Clip It ups do. I have some serious buyer’s remorse now… I bought two base units, 2 upper tiers and a gazillion clips before I “engineered” the shelf. While the Clip It Ups are GREAT, I like my shelf so much better!!!