Fiskars Squeeze Punches

Reported by Jessica Ripley

Good old reliable paper punches. If you are a scrapbooker I’m absolutely certain you have at least 2 or 3 in your crafty arsenal (but if you are a scrapbooker like me, most probably more like 9 or 10). Before there was a die cutting machine for every taste and budget, we collected punches in every shape that appealed to us, from stars to lizards, and every size imaginable, from the tiny to the huge. Unfortunately for most though, we also suffered for our craft… those punches are hard on the hands! There is one brand out there however that in this crafter’s opinion rises far above the rest when it comes to just sheer comfort of use, and that is the Squeeze Punch from Fiskars.

The only paper punch to be awarded the Arthritis Foundation Ease Of Use Commendation, Fiskars Squeeze Punches come in over 50 designs. Besides being very easy on the hands due to the ergonomically designed handles that are easy to operate, another plus is that the punch is meant to be used face up so you can see exactly what you are punching out.

It’s nice to eliminate the guess work that some punches require when you have to place them on a table to punch out your shape (and then push with all your might with both hands, jump up and down, and grunt).

As mentioned above the punches come in many shapes. If I’m going to purchase a separate punch for my stash it has to be a shape that I can use again and again, and Fiskars understands the importance of that. Their designs for the Squeeze Punches include standards like circles, squares, flowers, and even corner rounders. They do also include a few holiday themed punches for Christmas and are currently featuring a special Fall edition. My absolute favorite design is their Seal of Approval scalloped edged circle used to make the tree leaves in the layout below:

Most shapes are also offered in different sizes, from small to extra large. The card below uses the Round and Round design in these two different sizes for example:

There are a few drawbacks of course, size for one. Because of that wonderful design that makes these punches so easy to use, they take up quite a bit more space than a smaller punch would in your drawers. A lot more in fact.

At an average MSRP of $14.00 (going up or down depending on the size), they are also about twice as expensive as their counterparts, and I rarely ever buy them unless they are on sale or I have a coupon.

As far as materials which can be punched, Fiskars recommends that the punches are used only with 65lb card stock or lower. This is definitely not a rule to test, as I have actually damaged one of my squeeze punches so that it no longer lines up properly to punch after trying it on thin chipboard. However, this isn’t something I hold against them at all, considering most other punches can’t handle thicker materials either.

Out of curiosity, I also tried out the Seal of Approval punch on a transparency, but it definitely won’t work. It barely cut out just a portion of the design:

Stick with paper for these punches as you would with most others, and save the thicker materials for your die cutting machine.

With that in mind, if you have a die cutting machine why even bother with paper punches? Honestly even though I do own one, I find myself constantly still reaching for a paper punch just to add a quick element or two to a project, to carry with me if I’m crafting away from home, or if I want to just cut out several of one shape super quickly. And while I may not be collecting as many punches as I would have before die cutting machines, when I do pick one up in the store, it will always be a Fiskars Squeeze Punch. The ease of use and the visibility in punching far outweighs any draw back on size or price for me.

In summary:

Pros:

• Extremely easy on the hands when using, no grunting and jumping up and down when trying to punch!
  • Open faced design lets you see exactly what you are punching out. Great for when punching out certain details of patterned paper.
  • Comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, especially shapes which can be used again and again (like circles, squares, and corner rounders).

Cons:

• More expensive that many other punches in stores.
  • Harder to store due to the large size, the handles take up a lot of room.
  • Punching through material which is too thick can damage the punch, stick to the 65lb or lower paper recommendation.

What’s your current paper punch collection like? Do you own any squeeze punches? We would love to hear what you love or dislike about them in the comments.

Disclosure

, , , ,

15 Responses to Fiskars Squeeze Punches

Bogner's October 18, 2010 at 8:58 am #

I am sorry, but another CON is that you can only punch so deep into your paper. Like an 1/8″-1/4″ into a paper. Many other punches out there reach further into the papers. I have two sizes of the circle and wanted to make a frame with them and was unable because of it’s inability to go further into the paper…

Sequana October 18, 2010 at 10:08 am #

I have one of these punches and I would agree with all your cons. I’ve never found a good way to store it, so I’ve not gotten anymore.

It sure is nice on the hands tho.

Tona October 18, 2010 at 11:33 am #

I have around 70 of these punches & love them. They are easier to use then the other punches on the market. (I also have 2 die cut mahines but a lot of the time it’s just quicker & easier to grab a punch). I store mine stacked on top of each other on a shallow shelf.

Jill October 18, 2010 at 11:35 am #

I love these punches and suffer through with the space issues because of their ease of use. I only buy really basic shapes for punches because I do have a die cut machine. I would never purchase a holiday etc punch. (I don’t own punches that go much further into the paper than Fiskars) Only downfall for me is they are very few options to purchase w/ coupons. Not a big selection at M’s which is the only place I see them.

Sylvia/Georgia October 18, 2010 at 12:03 pm #

All of the cons are true, and I especially wish Fiskars could do something about the storage issue, but I absolutely love the ones I have. The corner punch is my favorite. I use it on almost all of my cards. I don’t have to worry about storing that one; it stays out on my desk because I use it so often. If Michaels & Hobby Lobby carried more, I would have more. HL & M, are you listening??

janine October 18, 2010 at 12:59 pm #

I have quite a few punches–Fiskars, EK Success, Martha Stewart—I would toss Stampin Up in there too, but I think they are also made by EK.
    Storage is the most painful con for me, as I have no room to store anything. My “craft room” is in 3 different places in my house due to space issues and everything not being able to fit into one room.
    I also grab a punch for a quick element, as sometimes going into another room and firing up the die cutting machine and searching for the right cartridge for one cut can also be a pain.
    The only other con I can think of with punches is what you also mentioned. For what I’ve spent on punches, to cut one shape, I could have easily used that money towards cartridges and had tons of shapes. But, having said all of this, what I really need to do is save my money and buy a bigger house….lol

Conniecrafter October 18, 2010 at 2:31 pm #

All I have is the corner squeeze punch but I can go through cardstock and whatever designer paper I have put on top when I am finishing my cards, better than the little one I had that I had a hard time just getting through the cardstock alone!

Dot October 18, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

I do like the squeeze punches and have quite afew. Much easier on the hands! The corner punch works better than most I have tried.

CraftyKatDesign October 18, 2010 at 7:42 pm #

I have been a scrapbooker for years but have NEVER bought one punch. I really want to get a corner punch and didn’t realize this brand had them. For those of you that have tried the corner punches, would you recommend a certain kind? I was looking at the We are Memory Keepers ones. What do you think about those ones?? I would love to hear your thoughts!

–Robin

cleversomeday October 18, 2010 at 9:55 pm #

I have a large circle punch in this series and I find it difficult to line up cuts because the mechanism rotates out of position with respect to the paper as you squeeze the handle. Is there a trick to counteract this?

Jan Castle October 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

I’ve run out of places to put my punches…LOL! I really do like the squeeze punches…I can think of a few designs I wish they would do!
    Jan Castle

Christel October 19, 2010 at 7:02 am #

Hi Robin,

I have 3 of the 4 WRMK Corner Chompers and I love them all including the corner rounder one. They are all very well made and will cut through lots of different materials from thin paper to chipboard and acrylic.

As far as punches go, I only have one of the these Fiskars squeeze punches – the 2″ circle one. It’s ok if all you want is a circle, but it you’re trying to punch out a certain element on pp or a stamped image, forget it. It doesn’t have the reach like my EK Success or Marvy punches. So I haven’t bought anymore because of that issue. I store my larger punches and border punches in a shoe organizer on the back of the closet door in the room that I scrap in. It’s getting pretty full now since I buy/have alot of punches. I especially love border punches – I have 40 so far. I use them alot though.

Susan October 20, 2010 at 2:31 am #

I have the 2 ovals, I love them. I HAVE cut transparencies…but again there could be a thickness difference. Personally I do not see much of a price difference when compared to EK Success or Marvy/Uchida. I was looking at a couple the other day, at A C Moore.

If I am going to buy a punch, I always try to use a coupon anyway. I have been starting my collection of spellbinder’s nestabilities and I even got some of their Halloween cutters…A C Moore now carries them…before you had to get them from online sources.

I am also LOVING the new design from Stampin’ Up (Which is EK Success) flat for storage, and easy on the hands.

for those of you with the corner punch, do any of you have the creative memories one(new style)? how do the 2 compare?

Susan

billiejo October 22, 2010 at 10:46 am #

This comment has been removed by the author.

billiejo October 22, 2010 at 10:48 am #

Great review Jessica! I agree that these are great punches to have, so easy to use. I too, stack them on a shelf. There’s a little picture on the front of each one and they are designed to stack easily and stay put. I personally have labeled them so I can identify each one faster because the picture is so small for these old eyes. I have used mine on acetate and transparancies, and I’ve never experienced a shift in position like “cleversomeday” mentioned.

Others mentioned price. I’m not finding a difference. They are all pretty equal here in the southwest. I will say that when something goes wrong with a Fiskars product, the customer service is unsurpassed and that’s what keeps me looking to their products first. Love the graduated sizes that match up with their stamps too!