Guest Blogger: Martha Stewart Crafts Scoring Board

Please welcome Debbie O’Neal from Houston, Texas as our Guest Reporter. We are so excited to have her join us today. Debbie has been a crafter all of her life. She enjoys working with paper, glue, scissors, fabric, paint, tools, beads, yarn and thread. She also loves to inspire others through her crafts and sharing her ideas with other. She has a very dear and supportive husband who understands her need to craft everyday and even helped create her very own craft studio. Her two daughters and granddaughter also love to craft and she loves that they all share a love to craft.

Please be sure to check out Debbie’s blog here. It’s a wonderful read!

Reported By Debbie O’Neal

Even though I have been making scrapbooks for a number of years, I had never really gotten into making cards with my scrapbook supplies. While I have admired those who use beautiful patterned paper to make their own cards and envelopes, I was frustrated at the complicated templates and scoring products I had tried. Repeatedly over the years, I had abandoned my dream to join the card maker ranks until recently.

Low and behold while on a recent trip to a local craft store, I found a scoring system that didn’t look so awkward and promised to be easy to use. It was the Martha Stewart Crafts Scoring Board. I have loved all my other Martha Stewart Craft purchases so I was intrigued they had a scoring tool. Retail was only $19.99 USD but with my craft store coupon it was even less expensive so I decided to give it a try. Readers, I joyously wanted to share this great find with you.

After reading the easy instructions, I was ready to make my first card and matching envelope. I chose to make a standard A2 card and envelope. The Scoring Board comes with everything you need except paper and adhesive to make a card base and envelope. Plus, it has handy built-in storage for the scoring tool in the tray on top and envelope template fits on the back of the base.

Crisp, clean lines are achieved due to the great scoring tool included. As you can see in the picture, the scoring tool (on left) is thinner than a traditional bone folder (on right) and fits in the scoring tracks perfectly. I love that the folds created are also thinner and not as bulky as those made by a traditional bone folder.

The large scoring base easily holds both small and large paper up to 12″x12″.

You place the envelope guide in the upper left corner of the base. The guide lines are easy to read and after locating the appropriate measurement, it is simple to place the scoring tool in the right place and run down the length of my paper in one simple motion.

Once the envelope is scored, it is easy to follow the directions and snip the sides of the folds as directed. The scored lines are easy to fold and make a nice sharp edge all around the envelope.

Tada…I made my first envelope, ever, and a card to match!

This was such an easy and fun tool to use. I immediately jumped into creating a few other projects that would benefit from using the scoring board. I made an adorable 4″x4″ gift box and top decorations all of out of patterned paper in less than 30 minutes! The best part was that very easy to follow directions to make various size boxes are included with the Martha Stewart Scoring Board!

Pros:

• Extremely easy to use right out of packaging
  • Clever built-in storage for scoring tool and envelope template, which are included
  • Easy to read markings for scoring
  • Crisp, clean, thin lines made with scoring tool
  • Large base surface fits up to 12″x12″ paper and light weight to transport
  • Easy to follow instructions for various size cards, envelopes and gift boxes included
  • Instructions are in English, Spanish and French

Cons:

• The grooves were a little hard to clean out when I accidentally got adhesive in them

I couldn’t be happier with the Martha Stewart Scoring Board. In fact, I think it is one of the best purchases I have made to expand my crafty projects. Don’t walk, run to get one for yourself, I promise you won’t be disappointed.

What kind of projects do you make that could use a score board?

Disclosure

The following two tabs change content below.
CC Contributor

CC Contributor

, , , , ,

18 Responses to Guest Blogger: Martha Stewart Crafts Scoring Board

Rhonda H. January 18, 2011 at 8:44 am #

I LOVE my MS board! It is fabulous for making boxes! The guide even includes the scoring measurements for different box sizes. This is the best scorer ever.

Betty January 18, 2011 at 10:00 am #

I LOVE mine for making cards and doing art projects with my son…

Elaine A January 18, 2011 at 10:40 am #

Love my MS Score Board. It is so easy to use and making boxes is a breeze.

Elaine Allen

Carolyn January 18, 2011 at 11:24 am #

I don’t think you can really count it as a “con” that it is hard to get adhesive out of the grooves. It wasn’t designed to be an adhesive “keeper” or to be in contact with adhesive. That’s kind of like saying that my refrigerator doesn’t cook soup well.

Carolyn January 18, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

Thanks for your review and pics. I bought one over the weekend and couldn’t figure out how to use the triangle thingy to make envelopes. Your pics helped make it clear. Thanks again!

rush January 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

one more “con” for the scorer. i found that the thinner bone folder cut the paper, especially when it got to the end of the paper. i used a light pressure, but that didn’t matter. what i decided to do was to use my regular-sized bone folder. that works great since it doesn’t want to fit the groove. so, while i wish i could use the thinner one, the thicker one doesn’t shred the paper.

Kelly January 18, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

Wonderful critique! I also love my MS score board!

Bee Burg January 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

I love my MS scoring board too! And was really happy to find it since I didn’t intend on spending $40 for a Scor-Pal!! 😉
    The only cons I have are this:
    * the little foamy pads at the bottom that keep it from sliding on the table while you score came off right away and won’t stay on.

* Because your scoring tool isn’t guided (as in a traditional cutter used with a scoring blade, like the Cricut one for example), if you’re using thick cardstock that has glittered design, this can “derail” your scoring tool and make you lose the groove you were in and results in score lines where they shouldn’t be…

But this aside this is a great tool and I definitely recommend it! 😀

sandi maciver January 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

I’m with Carolyn, not really a fair “CON”, any score board would be hard to get adhesive out of

Jim January 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

I couldn’t agree more with Betty, I’m not this kind of crafty guy but I love doing things like this with my kids and wife like a family bonding project.

wings love'n crafts January 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm #

I love MY MS Scoring Board, a handle
    to carry it will be great for crops and classes :o)

Big Mamma~ a.k.a. Mary S January 18, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

Your description and critique could not be any better. Right on the mark. I have owned mine for at least 6 months and use it for so many different craft things. I have used both this and the “other” commonly used one and love this one by far.

KanataNewf January 18, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

I recently purchased this one as well (already have another popular one) and love it. Have yet to use the envelope maker though it was a big draw. Love the closer together scoring guides.

TiaKeas January 18, 2011 at 10:08 pm #

I love my Martha Stewart scoring board and agree that it is the best I have used..

Jannarama January 18, 2011 at 10:23 pm #

I have the same scoreboard and I like it. The bone ‘folder’ is cheaply made and actually started cracking in the tip. I had to smooth it out with sandpaper because it was shredding the paper.

A couple of improvements I made to MY MS Scoreboard:

I drilled a hole in the back at the top (center) where the hole is under the door (flip down part) that holds the bone folder. I can hang up the scoreboard. (great for pegboards!)

I also put a sticky velcro dot on the bone folder & inside the flap to keep the bone folder from rattling & possibly falling out.

I transport my Scoreboard to card workshops and having the bone folder secure is helpful.

Last thing I did was I took a fine point permanent marker and marked at the BOTTOM of the scoreboard with some of the more useful increments. This helps me keep my scores straighter.

Lindsey January 19, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

Great review of this product. I really like my MS scoring board, too. My (minor) complaint is that the envelopes come out slightly larger than standard A2, etc. envelopes.

Anonymous January 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

Debbie, I so agree with you! It makes for fast and accurate boxes and envelopes! And it is such a reasonable price, even without a coupon! Congrats on becoming a cardmaker!

Katie Wilson

Pet's Place February 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

Whenever I get adhesive on my MS scoring board, I take it to the sink and wash it with a scrubber and soap and water, being careful not to get water in the compartment with the measurements. It’s like new again!