Hottest New Crafting Material!

Reported by Dana Vitek

Earth Day is right around the corner, and with it comes a plethora of DIY Green Crafting ideas. So-called ‘Green Crafters’ from the four corners of the interwebs come out on Earth Day, waving their recycled egg cartons and toilet paper tubes, thinking they’re saving the world by crafting with crap.

Well let me tell you… they’re right! We CAN save the world by re-purposing trashy things (and no, I don’t mean folding origami flowers out of smutty books… or do I?). No friends, I’m talking about the lowest of the low. The thing in your house with zero redeeming qualities. That stuff that makes you turn your nose up with disgust every time you touch it. That’s right. I’m talking about dryer lint.

This stuff is crafters’ GOLD! Really! There’s so much that can be done with dryer lint, and it’s FREE! You were just going to trash it anyway, so why not try these fun crafts instead?!

Any color you want, as long as it’s gray.

Dryer lint makes terrific flock… and who needs velvet ribbon with a little double-sided sticky tape and some dryer lint around?

lay out your sticky tape…

pounce that dryer lint on… don’t be shy!

look at that coverage!

a stripe of a different color?! why not!

no, thank  you, dryer lint, thank you!

Velvet Thickers?! Who needs them? Not me!

Throw some glue down…. you want something that dries sticky

You know you have a brayer. Go get it!

This photo is self-explanatory

fuzzy cardstock

die cut your letters
flocked, velvety letters! For free!

Dab on some alcohol inks (these were colored with Copics) to change the color!

Moving on to nail art… here’s an easy way to get that fab suede finish all the fashionistas are buzzing about…

before… boring…

slap on a clear top coat and some dryer lint…

brush off the excess, and voila! Epic, right? I know!

Pros:

• You can’t beat the price of dryer lint.
  • Money saved on fancy crafting supplies can be put toward chocolate.
  • You’re saving the planet!

Cons:

• Limited range of colors in its natural state, unless you dry your clothes in separate color batches, and who has time for that?
  • There can be, um, impurities in the lint. In my house it’s dog fur, but that just adds to the charm, really.
  • Recipients of your handmade dryer linted items might think you’re cheap instead of an Eco Warrior. Forget them.

Think this is all flocking ridiculous?

You’re right!

April Fools!

Speaking of flocks… check out our favorite trendy parody: Put a Bird on it!

The following two tabs change content below.

Dana Vitek

Dana Vitek is a craft-‐‑supply hoarder with an obscenely understanding husband. She works full-‐‑time as a geologist, and spends her free time sort of paying attention to her two kids, reading a lot, and crafting. She's a crocheter, but not a knitter because knitting seems way too complicated. She's a card maker, but usually only 10 minutes before a birthday party. She cusses at her sewing machine. She has at least 12 different types of glue, but can never find the scissors she wants when she wants them. Dana started writing and editing for Craft Critique in 2008. She is perhaps best known for her Mother of All Black Ink Tests, and her annual April Fool's posts. She blogs extremely irregularly at Stamping Science. http://stampingscience.blogspot.com

Latest posts by Dana Vitek (see all)

, , ,

28 Responses to Hottest New Crafting Material!

1. Cheryl April 1, 2011 at 7:09 am #

Very funny! The entire time I read the article I kept thinking “Are they kidding?” Happy April Fools to you too! Well done!

2. Emily D. April 1, 2011 at 7:16 am #

HA HA! Too funny 🙂 I had a blast looking at it, and the whole time I’m reading it, I’m like “Whaaaa?! Really?!” LOL <3

3. Christina Hammond April 1, 2011 at 7:57 am #

That is all kinds of awesome. You are one serious crafter, Sarah!

Teeheeeee.

4. catnap April 1, 2011 at 9:04 am #

Too funny! You actually had me going for a few seconds because I really do have a stash of dryer lint from the days when I used a dryer (I only do hang dry now, for real). Honest, I kept my dryer lint because you really can use it to make a clay sort of thing, which is what I was expecting. When I saw that card I think, come on now, that’s pretty awful. Who would you give it to? Then it hit me…. Love it. Great joke. But, you really CAN do stuff with dryer lint…..no foolin.

5. Wendy April 1, 2011 at 10:15 am #

Fabulous. April Fool’s?? NO WAY!! This gives me reason to do the laundry!!!

6. Heather Strenzwilk April 1, 2011 at 10:25 am #

Well done Dana! Did you really use lint on the finished envelope? It looked like flocking. Too funny!

7. Amy April 1, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

Thank goodness, I thought you all had lost your minds!

8. Clare *Littlebear* April 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

Hee, hee. Thank you for making me giggle!
    Clare x

9. Karen (TLgirl353) April 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

Very funny! But you should see how I recycle used cat litter!!
    A great base for dinosaur stamped images!
    LOL April Fool’s Day!

10. Molly Smith April 1, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

The BEST today! Brilliant, ladies 🙂

11. susanc April 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

Yeah, you had me going there until the nail polish – I was thinking, not so much! Pretty good! 🙂

By the way, what color/brand is your blue polish (sans dryer-lint)? I really like it! 🙂

12. Katie K April 1, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

Okay, so I knew immediately that this was an April Fool’s joke but the whole time I was thinking, “Hmmmm, that’s kind of a good idea though.” I have actually considered saving my dryer lint for paper making. Would that work? Has anyone tried it?

13. Andrea Walfortd April 1, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

That’s hilarious! You actually had me thinking about it!

14. Maryellen April 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

gave me. I couldn’t believe you
    would seriously use dry lint in crafting. Yuck! 🙂

15. Cranky Amy April 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

Since I have actually seen folks use dryer lint for projects, I kept reading and reading. Actually, those dyed letters don’t look too bad. The one thing I was thinking the whole time I was reading was “but they don’t say anything about how flammable it is. DUDE, BIG drawback!”

16. Kaysi Leiterman April 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

Man oh man–did you fool me! The whole time I was reading your post, I kept thinking to myself, how come I’ve never heard of these suggestions before, and why don’t I like them???? LOL

17. Dana (*danavee*) April 1, 2011 at 6:21 pm #

Thanks everybody! To answer your questions…

Heather, yes, it’s all dryer lint.

susanc, it’s OPI Ski Teal We Drop with a matte top coat by Essie. And it took me 10 minutes to get that lint off my nails!

18. cfox April 1, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

Sometimes the Bil Jac’s liver treats fetch up on my lint screen intact (or at least still recognizable). Gross, huh?

19. Anilu Magloire April 1, 2011 at 9:43 pm #

Oh, thank goodness! I was like, “What are these brilliant gals thinking?”.
    Very cool. Very funny.

20. rush April 1, 2011 at 11:35 pm #

i am sooooo gullible. then at the end, i remember there was something like it last year! i did enjoy “put a bird on it”. that was fun! happy april fool’s day + 35 minutes in north carolina.

21. Erica April 1, 2011 at 11:46 pm #

Oh my gracious…you totally had me. Too funny.

22. Jean Fitch from jlfstudio April 2, 2011 at 2:03 am #

Oh my goodness…I was so sure this was real…after all as a spinner and weaver I’ve been known to spin my lint! Now I really have to try this. I know, I know I’ll probably hate it but I won’t be able to sleep until I try it. Might even use some of the spun lint for the ribbon!

Thanks for the silly fun!

23. dianespb April 2, 2011 at 7:01 am #

It’s early, is my excuse for not getting the joke! But there is this

24. Gayle April 2, 2011 at 10:21 am #

have seen the look of horror, the look of disgust on my face……

25. Barb's Boys April 2, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

Oh, that’s too flocking funny! Happy April Fool’s Day…I kept thinking I have plenty of that stuff in a wide variety of shades…but gross!

26. Cristina April 2, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

You had me laughing out loud at this!! So funny! Thanks, I really needed a good laugh!

27. Heather April 4, 2011 at 11:02 pm #

I was seriously going to leave a negative comment about the dryer lint manicure!

The other ideas were honestly pretty creative though – just not sure I’d really go through with it.

Very funny!

28. Susan April 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm #

Thanks for a great laugh! Love the nails!