Xyron 9" Creative Station

Reported by Christian Tamez

Laminating has always been one of those mysterious crafting entities that I have always admired, but stayed away from. Mainly because most of the laminating machines I came across were fairly expensive and did only one thing, laminate. That is until the Xyron 9” Creative Station came into my possession.

What I immediately liked about this machine was that it needs no electricity to run, which means you can use this machine anywhere, anytime and did I mention that it’s quiet? A simple turning crank on the side of the machine, (yes there is an arrow so you don’t get confused which direction to turn), and you can use this little machine with all of its different refills. Another bonus: with 9 inches of laminating width you can laminate a complete piece of 8″ x 11.5″ piece of paper!

Refills are the different cartridges that you can use with the Creative Station. Five different options, including three different acid-free adhesives, two-sided laminate, and a magnet material. The machine comes with a Permanent Adhesive cartridge already installed, so I picked up the two-sided laminate and the magnet refills to go with my machine.

So the first thing I wanted to do was laminate, and preserve some of the memories I collected when I tagged along with Craft Critique to go see Martha Stewart. I printed some of my pictures, and to keep them from getting all smudgy from being touched, laminated them. You just put your item to be run through the machine on the little platform, press it gently against the rollers and turn the handle, simple, fast and easy. I made a quick video overview of the Xyron 9” Creative Station, take a look!

The second cartridge I purchased and was so excited to use was the magnet refill. I love magnets and love making them even more. I took one of my favorite pictures from that trip to Martha and turned it into a magnet so every time I go to the fridge, I get to see me with Martha. I also took some pictures and turned them into magnets for my family so they could think of me always. For my sister, I took a picture of her little baby girl, slapped some text on it, ran it through my Xyron, and like magic, an adorable magnet!

Each refill cartridge was easy to trim; I was a little hesitant about using the removable trimmer for the magnet material but it did just fine and cut through cleanly on the first swipe. Scissors, craft knives, rotary cutters all easily trim away any excess Xyron material, leaving you with fun personalized crafty goodness. There’s a score mark on the removable cutter that lets you know where the blade will cut, very important so you don’t accidentally cut right through what you were laminating!

All in all I would say the Xyron is a great tool to use. I had a great time decorating my fridge with all of my projects!

Pros:

• Extremely easy to use
  • Multiple uses for the machine – I love that this does not exclusively laminate.

Cons:

• Removable trimmer occasionally comes out of the machine
  • The magnet material could be a stronger magnet
  • Small items tend to use excess material, that cannot be reused

Do you have a favorite laminator? Do you have the Xyron 9″ Creative Station and love it? What about other Xyron products that you love?

Disclosure

The following two tabs change content below.

Dana Vitek

Dana Vitek is a craft-‐‑supply hoarder with an obscenely understanding husband. She works full-‐‑time as a geologist, and spends her free time sort of paying attention to her two kids, reading a lot, and crafting. She's a crocheter, but not a knitter because knitting seems way too complicated. She's a card maker, but usually only 10 minutes before a birthday party. She cusses at her sewing machine. She has at least 12 different types of glue, but can never find the scissors she wants when she wants them. Dana started writing and editing for Craft Critique in 2008. She is perhaps best known for her Mother of All Black Ink Tests, and her annual April Fool's posts. She blogs extremely irregularly at Stamping Science. http://stampingscience.blogspot.com

Latest posts by Dana Vitek (see all)

, , , ,

18 Responses to Xyron 9" Creative Station

Lindy May 19, 2011 at 8:41 am #

Thanks for the info and tips! I’ve been wanting a machine like this and this sounds perfect. Thanks!

Anita May 19, 2011 at 9:09 am #

Cool machine and tips! I have the small Xyron and love it.

Tona May 19, 2011 at 9:36 am #

I have had the Xyron 9″ & 5″ for years & love them both.

Christian May 19, 2011 at 9:36 am #

I was so excited to joing the Xyron world! don’t know how I lived without them!

Kelly Massman May 19, 2011 at 11:07 am #

Very cool!

AShu93 May 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

I don’t have the 9″, but I do have the 510 & I’ve used it for years. The only problem I had was that the handle of my first one got stripped out. I used it a lot for magnets & I think that’s harder to turn.

When I contacted Xyron about finding out if I could fix it, they accused me of forcing it & said it was my fault it broke. I know that wasn’t the case & wasn’t happy with their customer service, but since I loved what the product does so much, I bought a replacement anyway.

rilojane May 19, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

I’ve passed up the chance to buy a Xyron too many times! I go to my local copy store to have stuff laminated, so I don’t laminate nearly as much as I would if I owned one of these!

AShu93’s comment- yikes. I don’t care for companies who don’t have customer service solutions. Luckily, most of the major chains who sell it are more helpful.

I just might be bustin’ out a coupon this week to treat myself to a new toy!!

aloha37 May 19, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

I love, love, love Xyron products and use them all the time. This would be such a fun item to add to my tool collection. Love the magnets you made, what a cute little baby!!

Chris Wooten May 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

Xyron machines are awesome…thanks for tips…

chris
    mcwooten1999@carolina.rr.com

Molly Smith May 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

Thanks for the review! I have a 550 and 900 and love them both, esp. how easy they are to change out cartridges quickly. The ONLY thing I wish Xyron would consider- is mark the end of the roll somehow with a colored strip, etc. It is SO maddening to put in a project and get half laminate or sticky and half cardboard :o) ~Molly

Mrs Ham May 19, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

My favorite laminating machine is the Your Story. I have the Xyron 2.5, 500 Create a Sticker and the 5″ Creative Station.

Shauna May 19, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

I cannot imagine creating without my Xyron! I’ve had some for years and can’t be without them! I have a 9 and 5 and the little baby one. That’s good for those inchies and other little items so you don’t waste material. Of course the baby only does adhesive but still. I was going to by the big one but saw they were discontinuing it! I didn’t want to be unable to get refills down the road so decided against it. Great tutorial and review!

Merilee Lane, Where Life is But a Dream May 19, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

I absolutely love my Xyron products! I’ve got a five inch and the X. I would love, love,love to have this one! :o)

Kathy May 19, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

I own the 12″ Xyron adhesive/laminator. I mainly use it for adhesive application, although I did use it heavily at work to laminate drug cards for staff. I love it….I just wish the cartrides were a little cheaper, cuz then I would use it more! I also have the Xyron 500 (couldn’t find cartridges anymore, so bought the 510), and the sticker maker (original), and the 250. Guess you could say I like this product line!!!

RAP May 19, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

I have the 1200 that I’ve had for years but the cartridges are really expensive so I haven’t used it in a long time. I have the 5.5″. I use it off and on when a project especially calls for it. I also used it all the time to laminate nametags for bible study. I have the little X which is great for doing letters cut with the cricut. Love XYron!

LaurieJay May 21, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

I can’t live without my Xyrons…I have several different sizes.

Lysa May 22, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

I love my xyron 9 inch machine. I won here at craft critique a few months back! I don’t know how I got along without one for so long. I always loved the adhesive runner and the 2 inch too, but this 9 inch is the best. Thanks craft critique I love your site even more than my Xyron.
    Lysa

Dawn May 16, 2014 at 3:15 am #

Hi where can I find or purchase refill 9 inches adhesive roll for this machine?