Reported by Melissa Norris
I’ve been eying Creepy Cute Crochet by Christen Haden at the bookstores for some time. The fun little amigurumi creatures looked too adorable. I was really excited to get the opportunity to review this book and get to work crocheting.
The book is a small, hardbound book with bright colors and great illustrations and photos. There are some tips (like crochet abbreviations), resources for materials, and instructions for special techniques. However, this is a not a “learn-to-crochet” book; you will need to have basic crochet knowledge.
There are patterns to create 21 different creatures that range in difficulty from beginner to epic! The patterns consist of both the written instructions, and the illustrated stitch diagram.
There are instructions for the basic body parts, which are used to create most of the creatures. If there are special instructions, they are listed in the pattern for each creature. After you create the basic body parts, there are instructions for assembly, including adding any details like embroidery, felt accents, hair, etc.
I chose to make the ninja, which was a basic difficulty. I had a hard time at first, because all the patterns I had previously made had been from one author, so I had to adjust to the pattern style that Christen uses. There were also some stitches used that I hadn’t used before (I’m not an epic expert), but after observing some YouTube videos, I was all set. And it only took me two evenings to complete (and that was with plenty of child, husband, dog, and TV distractions).
- Creative patterns, far from the traditional animals and dolls
- Great photos and illustrations
- Instructions are easy to follow, especially for advanced crocheters
- Instructions for basic body parts can be used to create your own creatures
- Not a book for beginners, crochet/stitch instructions not included
- Would love to have seen a spiral binding, because it’s hard to keep books open while you’re working sometimes
So will you whip up a bunch of Creepy Cute Creatures before Halloween? Leave us a comment and let us know!